As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Creating a Word Doc from an Excel file

GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
Hi all,

Did some googling on this and couldn't find quite what I needed. Essentially, I'm trying to create a formatted Word doc from an Excel file. Specifically, I'm trying to create a requirements document from a Jira export. Let's say that my export contains the following fields:
  • User Story
  • Acceptance Criteria
  • Feature
  • Platform

I want to create a document from this information that creates a section for each platform, a section for each feature under each platform, and then all of the user stories associated with each feature in a table along with the associated acceptance criteria. Some research suggests that a mail merge may be involved, but I can't seem to find a good resource for this. Is mail merge what I want, or is it too basic for what I'm trying to do? Any help would be appreciated.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    A mail merge would allow you to pull lines from your spreadsheet to fill into your wrod document, allowing you to make a new document with the data from each row to populate based on your column headings.

You can then export that as individual word documents, as emails, as a print queue. etc.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Hi all,

Did some googling on this and couldn't find quite what I needed. Essentially, I'm trying to create a formatted Word doc from an Excel file. Specifically, I'm trying to create a requirements document from a Jira export. Let's say that my export contains the following fields:
    • User Story
    • Acceptance Criteria
    • Feature
    • Platform

I want to create a document from this information that creates a section for each platform, a section for each feature under each platform, and then all of the user stories associated with each feature in a table along with the associated acceptance criteria. Some research suggests that a mail merge may be involved, but I can't seem to find a good resource for this. Is mail merge what I want, or is it too basic for what I'm trying to do? Any help would be appreciated.

JIRA lets you export directly into Word, doesn't it?

• Options
    Hi all,

• User Story
    • Acceptance Criteria
    • Feature
    • Platform

JIRA lets you export directly into Word, doesn't it?

It can, yeah. However, I want to create a very specific document format that is something I can use for release notes. My question is more around how I can create a Word doc straight from the Excel file that would build with the logic I described with minimal manual intervention from me. I'm trying to get a sense of whether mail merge will do everything I'm looking for, or whether it'll require some VBA scripting as well.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    A mail merge is probably the easiest to do. Whether or not you need to get into fancy VBA depends on what you're doing with those fields.
    Since it looks like it's just text blocks instead of numbers or currency, you probably shouldn't run into a lot of formatting problems, unless within each field you're switching formats.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A mail merge is probably the easiest to do. Whether or not you need to get into fancy VBA depends on what you're doing with those fields.
    Since it looks like it's just text blocks instead of numbers or currency, you probably shouldn't run into a lot of formatting problems, unless within each field you're switching formats.

@Tofystedeth - One potential issue is some of the fields are using wiki markup, which means # for ordered lists. Ideally I'd like to convert those to line breaks and numbers, but that might be asking a lot of mail merge.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    This may sound stupid, but have you tried submitting a ticket to JIRA? If you're a paying customer, they may know a way to get you what you need without you having to write it up yourself. Frankly, the whole interface is so janky I wouldn't be surprised if the export you are looking for is buried somewhere that you never visit.