As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] [Recruiting/Interest] Legends of the Wulin: Open Palm, Closed Fist

Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
edited August 2015 in Critical Failures
The turn of the century is a time of upheaval for Shen Zhou.

Foreigners press at the borders of the country, eager to get at the rich underbelly while the leaders of government jockey for who will succeed the dying Emperor.

The people turn to their folk heroes, the names of legend that navigate the Rivers and Lakes.

The country is waiting for a martial hero.

Are you it?

--

This is a recruitment thread for Legends of the Wulin, a game about drama, romance and action! I am looking for three Wu Xia to embark on a journey, to cultivate their chi, and become the new heroes of legend that will guide China-that-never-was into the new age.

This game will be, in effect, set in a mythic China that is going through its own turn of the twentieth century, dealing with personal stories revolving around cultural identity and internal politics. The films Fearless and Ip Man (1 and 2) are great starting points for an idea of the themes I want to explore.

I'm going to pick players before we actually make concepts as I would like everyone to collaborate together to generate a group template for maximum cohesion.

So, sign up in Tiger Orange to show your interest and we will see whose gongfu is strongest!

Super Namicchi on

• Options
    Reserved for information!

• Options
    Also reserved.

• Options
    ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    Tiger Orange Sect was the name of my Blue Oyster Cult cover band back in highschool.

How crazy do you want the power level on this game? Are we talking blasting holes in walls with chi? Or just leaping up to rooftops in a single bound?

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    This seems super cool. I'm hesitant to pour mutt name in for another pbp, though, since I've got a couple languishing around here somewhere already.

I'm just going to leave that autocorrect there.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I will travel far and wide, where my Resolute Tiger Orange Gongfu will act as an uplifting inspiration to all I meet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Are there books/supplements needed to play this game? Cause otherwise I have ideas!

• Options
    the only requirement really is the core book itself. it's a standalone product though

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    All will respect my undefeatable Gongfu style!

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Looks like you have three already, then. I'm honestly probably too busy to play well. But I will watch!

• Options
    well, if you want to play Tzeentch, i could certainly be persuaded to take on a fourth!

nevertheless I think we have a good group and we can start brainstorming characters.

• Options
    I already have had a bit of an idea about my Kung Fu superman concept

But I will have some more thoughts, see what other characters I can think of

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I'll observe!

PbPs and me tend to be unmitigated disasters, as you know all too well.

• Options
    Well I have at the moment just got the idea of Last-Son-Of-Thunder, the child of Dragons, lost in the wilds and raised by a kindly old couple of peasant farmers, who took him in as their own. With his mighty Kung Fu does he protect the weak and innocent from predation! No title or jurisdiction has he, only a virtuous and honest heart, backed up by fists that strike as lightning from heaven!

• Options
    The Starting Point

Your characters will be new arrivals to the city of Guo He (River Crossing), a western city that lies close to the border of Shen Zhou and the lands beyond. As such it is a place where tradition and foreign culture butt heads as people from all over seek to make their fortune.

You have all come to the city over the past three months to study under Sifu Hai-yun the White Tiger. He is a legendary master that had disappeared a decade ago and had been thought deceased. With his return he has brought new styles of Kung fu to Shen Zhou, styles adapted from the barbarians beyond, and he has recently opened up his first school.

You will be his first disciples to start down this path and you will bear secrets to Kung fu jealously coveted.

Your connection to the city will be up to you; you can know or not know each other as you wish, but you will definitely have ties to the city, perhaps relatives and friends. Feel free to make stuff up and collaborate; I love open world collab and that's where we are going with this.

We will worry about the mechanics last and I will likely be introducing some custom Kung fu styles and techniques you can add to your arsenals as you incorporate Hai-yun's style into your own.

• Options
    Farm boy's first time in the big city! I don't think I would have many connections with people in power, but due to his good heart and strong character, there's probably a few salt of the earth locals he knows through the course of standing up against dodgy types.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    So I've got a couple ideas right now.

Kwong Li: A young son of a moderately wealthy merchant clan. Sent to train with Sifu Hai-yun because his father believes it will being honor to the small clan to have an association to the legendary Hai-yun. So something like a 12-15 year old, wet behind the ears but eager to learn. Obviously has connections among the merchant class of folk, though he's still thought a child by many.

Hao Jun: A young man on the cusp of adulthood (17-20), a member of a family distantly related to some prominent Kung fu clans hailing from Guo He and the surrounding countryside. He's become a student at Hai-yun's school because his father believes Jun can share the new techniquies being taught by Hai-yun and pass on his training to others outside the school. (Unsure on how Jun would feel about this plan.) Connections among other Kung Fu disciplines that are native to Guo He, some connections to ruling nobles. Though the Hao clan itself is thought of as unimportant, if at all.

Oh and another idea just struck me.

Jochi: An older man, something like 30 years old, a wandering barbarian working as a thug for hire. He hails from beyond Shen Zhou and is nothing but a brawler. He's well known (some might say infamous) in the bars of Guo He. Given a rude wakeup call (details fluid), he's pressed to be accepted into the new school as a means to expand his knowledge and learn discipline.

As always, these ideas are just my initial character pitch. I've got ideas where each of the three first ideas could grow in play, but not committing to any one path at this time.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    alright now that I am back from vacation we can get down to brass tacks

still waiting on concepts from @shinyo

• Options
    @destroyah87 I like all those concepts. Hao Jun is a nice contrast to Last-Son-Of-Thunder in social class, though, so that appeals from my perspective

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    destroyah87 I like all those concepts. Hao Jun is a nice contrast to Last-Son-Of-Thunder in social class, though, so that appeals from my perspective

I did think of how each of the three pitches could relate to Las-Son-of-Thunder, so that's not really an accident. And yeah, Jun is the most opposite to Last Thunder.

I would love to play any of the three characters I proposed, in all honesty. So it comes down to which pitch provides the most possibility for fun/good storytelling with the other players and/or the GM's plot.

steam_sig.png