As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If you could mix games with any industry to make fiction into reality, what would it be?

AliencubeAliencube Registered User new member
People are working on actual tricorders and tablets were essentially invented by Star Trek. Will we be talking in 20 years about how something from Mass Effect predicted a real life invention?

My assumption is that someone needs to be inspired by a fictional technology enough to happen but it was pointed out to by one of my professors that the person also requires the technical acumen to make it reality. So if you could play god and take game industry creativity and apply it to an industry, what would it be? A friend of mine send me an article (link) about people in the game industry going to work for his space company. I’ll stick with Games + Biomedical since the ability to pick up a health kit when you get hurt would be pretty epic.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I went into nanotechnology because of Deus Ex. That didn't work out, so now AI.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Quicksaving

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Piggy backing on Deus Ex: better integrated, lighter, stronger prosthetics and artificial organs.

Full cyberization here I come (hopefully).

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Duh, man machine interfaces. We've directly hooked people's braoms up to camaras, artificial limbs and tactile sensors in said limbs.

I want my data jack, and maybe a couple remotes.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Respawn Rooms

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Brain memory cards.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Duh, man machine interfaces. We've directly hooked people's braoms up to camaras, artificial limbs and tactile sensors in said limbs.

I want my data jack, and maybe a couple remotes.
    Brain memory cards.
    Hey Johnny, what do you do for a living?

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Probably Crysis. The N2 nanosuits are the highest end transhumanism tech I can think of from video games.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Portal tech. Easily.
    FTL travel and communication.
    Lossless power transmission over any distance.
    Instant, cheap transit between ground and orbit.
    Could even use it for power generation, like hydro dams with an infinite water supply.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Portal tech. Easily.
    FTL travel and communication.
    Lossless power transmission over any distance.
    Instant, cheap transit between ground and orbit.
    Could even use it for power generation, like hydro dams with an infinite water supply.

Unless the portal degrades over time, that last one is a perpetual motion machine. Infinite nearly free energy? Yes please!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The ability to label yourself as a vital NPC so that it's impossible to be killed.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    New Game+