As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Budget Sake?

vexxed13vexxed13 Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking to try some Sake.

Some problems: I live in the Midwest US. Also, I have like no money.

Basically, all i want to do is try some kind of Sake that tastes like Sake. So, if anyone can recommend some brands that give a good sense of what Sake actually tastes like, I'd appreciate it.

Also, you drink it slightly chilled, right? or not so much?

sig20gr.png
vexxed13 on

• Options
    BenditBendit Cømþü†€r Šýš†emš Anålýš† Ðeñv€r¸ ColørådøRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    if you want to taste sake and you are on a budget, go to a sushi restaurant and order a small caraf of warm sake. should run you about 6-7 dollars. Yes, It's served fucking warm.

it's awsome.

Bendit on
    My Live-Tracked Electronica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhSn2rozrIo
  • Options
    QuelrethQuelreth Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Whether it's served chilled or warm varies from sake to sake. I don't know if there are actually different types, or certain brands are just meant to be served a certain way.

I have no idea how common this stuff is, but I tried about 5 kinds of sake when my roommate bought a bunch of little bottles. I remember my favorite was called Hakutsuru.

Quelreth on
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    when you buy sake at a liquor store, check the label to see where it was made. I don't know about quality differences between American made sake and Japanese made sake, but I would assume the stuff imported from Japan is more authentic.

Hakutsuru sake is from Japan, and I don't think it's expensive either.

Kriz on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    vexxed13 wrote:
    Basically, all i want to do is try some kind of Sake that tastes like Sake. So, if anyone can recommend some brands that give a good sense of what Sake actually tastes like, I'd appreciate it.

That's like asking for a wine that gives you a good sense of what wine tastes like. There's a lot of variation. But, that said, here's what I'd recommend:

Ozeki Nigori - This is unfiltered sake. It's very sweet and is good at cutting the spice of hot foods. Should be served very cold. Unfiltered sake is also very cheap, and I find that people who usually don't like sake like this stuff. If you can't find Ozeki, Sho Chiku Bai Nigori will do. If you decide you like it, I recommend upgrading to Rihaku.

Sho Chiku Bai - This is your basic warm sake. Nothing special, but the price is right. I almost never drink sake warm, personally, so I don't have any recommendations on a warm sake better than this.

Momokawa Diamond - This is probably my favorite everyday sake. It's a little dry, but very smooth and light, and goes well with just about everything. Served slightly chilled.
    vexxed13 wrote:
    Also, you drink it slightly chilled, right? or not so much?

Depends on the type of sake and the weather. The general guideline is to drink warm sake when it's cold and cool sake when it's hot. Drier sakes are usually better chilled (think vodka) while warm sakes tend to be smoother and fruitier.
    Bendit wrote:
    if you want to taste sake and you are on a budget, go to a sushi restaurant and order a small caraf of warm sake. should run you about 6-7 dollars.

More often that not they'll serve you a brand of sake you could buy yourself for $5-6 for a bottle twice the size of that small carafe. Unless it's a relatively upscale place it's either going to be Sho Chiku Bai (above) or Ozeki.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.