As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Conditional Personhood

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Conditional Personhood

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    LittlestarsLittlestars Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    My understanding is that this has been a long-running issue for the irl Gabalos and Typhoid. Not being a parent I thought this was a unique thing, but a recent (three hours ago) talk with Dad was informative on this subject.

There was, I'm told, about a six year period where I didn't give a single fuck what Dad had to say because Dad wasn't Batman, and we think that this might stem from an incident that one Halloween when Mom told me that "Real Dad" was Batman. Batman, who I revered, could absolutely tell me to do my homework. And even did a few times via letters. In retrospect, I'm willing to bet that the handwriting on those letters, if scrutinized, would be revealed to match the handwriting of one of my parents. But for now I'm still saying it was The Goddamn Batman.

Maybe CaptainSparklez can do something similar. A letter of recommendation saying that Tycho's a pretty cool dad, and maybe his kids should show him some love now and then.

Littlestars on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed this comic, and it earned a good laugh.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Ocker3Ocker3 Registered User regular
    Anyone else notice that a lot of the dialogue in panels 2 and 3 is from a movie song? "If they could see me now", but really sad...

• Options
    LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    I'm loving this reoccurring theme of "Our dads are celebrities, but not to us, they're just boring dads." Like, I know it's not as depressing as the comic makes it out to be, but it's humorous that they've got all these millions of followers/fans and their kids could give half a shit.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Linktm wrote: »
    I'm loving this reoccurring theme of "Our dads are celebrities, but not to us, they're just boring dads." Like, I know it's not as depressing as the comic makes it out to be, but it's humorous that they've got all these millions of followers/fans and their kids could give half a shit.

I'm pretty sure every celebrity has to deal with this. I bet it 's all kinds of frustrating when a world leader can't get their kids to put down a comic.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Is minecraft: story mode heavily populated by cameos?

It's disappointing they didn't keep the guys in if that really happened. I've been wondering if that's going to be a fun game, or just a dilution of what makes minecraft good.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'm sure TellTale's Minecraft will be a fun game, provided you like TellTale's stuff. They expertly merged Borderlands with their style of game, so I have faith they can make Story Mode feel like an extension of the base Minecraft experience. I'm just going to wait the (probably) eight months it's going to take for all the episodes to release before I play it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    This is funny and also really kind of heartbreaking.

I suppose there are worse problems to have, though.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Ugh...I'm currently being replaced by Dora and Jake. I'm not looking forward to this. I love you lil angel please remember I'm real :(

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Is that Elliot? Or is the babby Ronia old enough to be playing Minecraft already? :O

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I have always been that way with most of the people in my family (minus the minecraft and captain sparkles---I had my own things growing up), so as much as I'm laughing at Tycho's situation in this comic, I'm also laughing because I recognize myself in the daughter (I'm assuming daughter?). The amount of attention I need from friends and loved ones is veeeeery low. I'm like Fred Randal in the isolation chamber. I can go for months and months with zero problem.

When your level of need in that area is not as high as your parents' (or siblings' or other loved ones'), and all you can experience is what it feels like for you, it can be easy to not be at all cognizant of the attention they need and how it feels for them to not be receiving it from you, because from your perspective, everything feels fine. Even when you are directly told, "I require attention a little more frequently," and you understand it conceptually, on the level of feeling, it still on some level feels like, "Really? Why...?"

Hooray for abnormality. =D

WordLust on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Is the last panel, first bubble meant to be "Would I be as real as the psychotic millionaire god you children worship on Youtube?"

I don't understand the sentence as it is now. Who are the "psychotic millionaire god children"?

BlackDove on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Is the last panel, first bubble meant to be "Would I be as real as the psychotic millionaire god you children worship on Youtube?"

I don't understand the sentence as it is now. Who are the "psychotic millionaire god children"?

No, it's supposed to be "god children." Because most of them tend to be pretty young, or act immature as a large part of their shtick.

If it had been hyphenated (god-children) I think it would have been clearer.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I really like this title.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    As a future father to be this is terrifying.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Preacher wrote: »
    As a future father to be

This is terrifying.

Quid on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    As a future father to be

This is terrifying.

Hey hey... yeah I know it scares people I'll be raising the next world leader.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    As a future father to be

This is terrifying.

Hey hey... yeah I know it scares people I'll be raising the next world leader.

Being in the Guinness Book of World Records for "Longest Continuous Fart" is a kind of world leadership.

• Options
    zaitcevzaitcev Registered User regular
    That child is adorable.

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    I'm glad I won't ever have kids. I'm sure some of you are, too.

• Options
    calamityjamiecalamityjamie Corgi Wrangler Seattle, WARegistered User staff
    This is a very accurate little Elliot.

• Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    My 6 year old son told us a few months ago that he wanted to meet Zack Scott, a guy who does a bunch of YouTube LPs of some of my son's favorite games (Angry Birds, Peggle, etc.). It blew my mind.

• Options
    roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I like that point about the psychotic millionaire god children. Those stupid Youtubers define the degredation of gaming.

Just sort of wish these comics could go back to an older, subtler format. They always wanted to avoid the panel 1: "Hey, how is that game you are playing?" intro.

roflstomp on
  • Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    roflstomp wrote: »
    That stupid Youtubers define the degredation of gaming.

Just sort of wish these comics could go back to an older, subtler format.

And while they're at it, these kids can also get right off your lawn.

• Options
    I like that point about the psychotic millionaire god children. That stupid Youtubers define the degredation of gaming.

Video games: The ones kids are playing these days are the absolute worst since 1972.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

Just sort of wish these comics could go back to an older, subtler format. They always wanted to avoid the panel 1: "Hey, how is that game you are playing?" intro.

I thought what they were trying to avoid was the "I'm really worked up about X" where X can be any game.

• Options
    Video games: The ones kids are playing these days are the absolute worst since 1972.
    What were they playing in '72 and where do I get it?

• Options

Pong.

http://www.ponggame.org/

Enjoy.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I enjoy Tycho's continued feud with this Captainsparklez

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options

Pong.

Enjoy.
    You led me to believe that there were terrible games that kids played in '72, indeed you said "absolute worst." The kind that politicians blame for horrible things. But Pong's a great game.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

Pong.

Enjoy.
    You led me to believe that there were terrible games that kids played in '72, indeed you said "absolute worst." The kind that politicians blame for horrible things. But Pong's a great game.

No no, the ones they are playing these days are the worst. The ones in 72 were only the worst in 72.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    You already get that with existing long running franchises extending more than six years.
    Like, the call of duty franchise has been around for thirteen years.
    "Man when I was a kid COD was so much better."

Mario also is obvious.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    If you think franchises that a kid can grow up through is scary, just imagine what it's like to be working on a big huge title that takes, oh, 5 years to finish.

A kid could finish elementary school and graduate from high school and probably move out for college during that dev time.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options

Pong.

Enjoy.

To a lot of people in 1972 it was. Cause every year as far as I can tell video games kids are playing now are just the absolute worst.