As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dying Hair

DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm thinking about dying my hair black. I did it for Halloween (went as Clark Kent), and I thought it looked fun. Also a few of my female friends said I was smokin' hot (though I'm sure that had alot to do with the fact that I was dressed pretty snazzy as Kent).

In any case, what should a guy who has never dyed his hair at all watch out for? What's a good brand of dye to get? Would it be better to dye it straight black (like I want) or would a dark dark brown work better?

Is it a good idea for me to dye my hair dark anyways given my coloring?

ref photos (such as I can dig up atm)

IMG_0345.JPG

Lobster.gif

My eyebrows are black, as is most of my facial and body hair, so it would blend pretty well.

Thoughts?

[edit]

"Newest" photo (if it works)

1328768439_l.jpg

I'll try to get some Halloween photos if I can find em for comparison.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
Derrick on

• Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If it worked for Elvis, it can work for you.

It doesn't look like black would be all that much darker. If you liked it at Halloween, go for it. Just know that once you go black, you never go back... not until you cut it all off or bleach the life out of it.

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It looks like you have about the same hair color as I do, and my wife thought it would be funny to die my hair black.

No one noticed. None of my coworkers believe me when I tell them I died my hair.

So, it may not even be worth it.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    ecchiecchi Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I prefer doing a really dark brown over pure black. It looks almost black for a while, but ends up looking a lot more natural as my real color grows back in. My natural color is lighter than yours, though, so it might not be as much of an issue.

ecchi on
  • Options
    D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I have several friends who are professional hair stylists, and they all avoid boxed hair dyes like the plague.

My suggestion is to go into a salon and have your hair dyed by a professional.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Options
    KrysanthemumKrysanthemum Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If you dye it pure black, you might come off as a try-hard goth. Just find the darkest brown hair dye you can find, there'll barely be a difference.

Krysanthemum on
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Manic Panic

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Clairol 124 blue-black is real jet black if you leave it in for a good 40min to an hour. It's also the only one I've found that has an almost 'wet black' color to it. Most other black dyes give either a blueish black or a grayish black.

I have pretty much the same hair color you do and I never really liked it. After trying a new dye with pretty much every haircut (I keep it fairly short), I went back to the 124 somebody first recommended to me. I've never been called a "try-hard goth" and the vast majority of women I know like that color best on me.

With your skin tone and eyebrows, it will probably look perfectly natural on you.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Thanks everyone, and especially alt for the recommendation!

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    "Is it a good idea for me to dye my hair dark anyways given my coloring? "

I dont think so, when you're that dark already.

Go lighter... get pro highlights, get foils... I dunno put in some red or blue

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    polarbluepolarblue Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Professional coloring is going to be good, but it's also going to cost a shit load (some people seriously charge like 60 bucks)

When i did it i went the box route (7 bucks @ the time)
    I have fairly dark brown hair, so when i dyed my hair black i used Feria's "Starry Night." It was a rich black with a bit of a blue tint to it.

A few tips if you are doing it yourself (or even with a friend).

Take some petrolium jelly and line the skin around your hairlines, this will help protect you from getting your forehead black.

Always use clothes that you wont ever care about getting ruined.

Also be careful about surfaces around you while you are dying, black can stain pretty bad.

polarblue on
    lost.jpg
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Your hair colour is similar to what I dye mine to, haha. (I'm light blond naturally) I'd say keep it the way it is, but I know how it is to want to change it.

You could go to a hairstylist the first time to have help picking the right shade and pick up pointers on how to do it right, but man its expensive... especially if prefer short hair then getting it done every month or two adds up. I buy the boxed stuff and only use half of it at a time. Just heed the instructions and don't mix it all and then store what you don't use, its a bad idea. Use a tupperware container (better yet the disposable stuff) and only mix what you'll use.

T-bolt on