Options

[Depresion] Kills and it isn't always obvious

TommattTommatt Registered User regular
Drez is a goose, different approach. Same fucking interpertation. Thanks alot for getting it shut down @Drez.

Depression sucks, and it kills. Even when we don't give credit to it. Blah blah, had a real reason for posting this thread, copying and pasting cause we should ahv a discussion, but somebody killed the last thread. An the thread before that was over a year go with robin fucking williams. Depression. It sucks. It makes us snap. It makes us kill ourselves. We go buy guns, and shoot other people, but depressions never gets credit for it.

Thanks for getting butthurt whoever shut down my other discussion, had a nice catchy thead title about facebook, where if you're depressed, facebook suks most of the time. But is also a positive. So if this thread stays alive everyone thank @Drez for shutting the other one down.

So we used to have a thread for talking about depression. Right about the time Robin Williams killed himself. But like everything in life, we think about it, debate it, disuss it, and think about how horrible it is. But then we go along with our every day lives.

Alcoholism. How many people does it kill a year?

What is a "drink"?

In the United States, a standard drink contains 0.6 ounces (14.0 grams or 1.2 tablespoons) of pure alcohol. Generally, this amount of pure alcohol is found in

12-ounces of beer (5% alcohol content).
8-ounces of malt liquor (7% alcohol content).
5-ounces of wine (12% alcohol content).
1.5-ounces of 80-proof (40% alcohol content) distilled spirits or liquor (e.g., gin, rum, vodka, whiskey).4

What is excessive drinking?

Excessive drinking includes binge drinking, heavy drinking, and any drinking by pregnant women or people younger than age 21.

Binge drinking, the most common form of drinking, is defined as consuming
For women, 4 or more drinks during a single occasion.
For men, 5 or more drinks during a single occasion.
Heavy drinking is defined as consuming
For women, 8 or more drinks per week.
For men, 15 or more drinks per week.

Most people who drink excessively are not alcoholics or alcohol dependent.5
What is moderate drinking?

The Dietary Guidelines for Americans defines moderate drinking as no more than 1 drink per day for women and no more than 2 drinks per day for men.4 However, there are some persons who should not drink any alcohol, including those who are:

Pregnant or trying to become pregnant.
Taking prescription or over-the-counter medications that may cause harmful reactions when mixed with alcohol.
Younger than age 21.
Recovering from alcoholism or are unable to control the amount they drink.
Suffering from a medical condition that may be worsened by alcohol.
Driving, planning to drive, or participating in other activities requiring skill, coordination, and alertness.

All of this info on alcoholism, but yet, how much of that is caused by depression?

I suffer from depression, and you know what, I talk with my therapist about how I miss my days of alcohol abuse, because you know what, I had something to look forward to every day.

So really, we don't calculate deaths from depression. But alcohol and drug abuse, guess hat, outs those of us who are depressed use. Right or wrong. How many people drink themselves to death because they don't' want to kill themselves but don't want to live?

I've been there. You're not suicidal, death would suck, but you're not living either. Depression sucks. You're on the bitter knife edge of " Life sucks, but death is worse". Every fucking day. It's the little things. I want to see the deadpool movie, and I want to see how they do the infinity gauntlet in Avengers. Little milestones, seemingly unimportant. But these are the things that get me through the day.

Again, anyone who's nodding their head at what I'm writing, go get help please, I am. I recognize it, but it's hard to do anything about it, I understand. It's the little milestones and the little goals. Life sucks, but being up here beats being down there.

Things like Robin Williams, and even Lamar Odom, are what sought me out to get help, and recognize that even when you're doing ok, you're just one emotional moment from falling off the deep end. Lamar, if anything ever happened to my parents right now, I'd be so unhinged. Drugs, alcohol, abusive relationships, you name it. Bring it on. Live life for this moment, and 60 seconds at a time.

But it's recognizing these things in our self, how bad things could be. And how you could snap at any moment.

I've seriously been on the road driving an felt the world bend around me. I almost lost t, I almost snapped. I've probably should have been ticketed for accounts of road rage, but it's been due to the depression I'm going though.

There are many like me on the forums, and we used to have a thread, and I feel we should have on again. Help is out there, it's not easy to get, and depression probably kills far more people than statistics gather. Again, how many people die of alcoholism due to depression, but it's never linked. I personally miss being an alcoholic, as at least I looked forward to something every day.

Tl;DR Lets talk about depression.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Is this better @Jacobkosh

Seriously, I want to start this discussion.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Do not make any more threads. You are manifestly not equipped for it.

This discussion has been closed.