As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to find out what Video Card I have (or if it's working) [SOLVED!]

Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
edited November 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
So I had to wipe my computer after some malware was uploading mass amounts of data (yes, I have anti-virus protection, but like condoms, they are only 99.99% effective). So after formatting my hard drive and reinstalling Windows 7, my screen resolution wasn't availible ( the closest are 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 which makes everything too stretched out or too small.) After looking at Device Manager, it says I'm using "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" except I could have sworn I had some Radon thingy. What can I do about this?

Grunt's Ghosts on

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    So I had to wipe my computer after some malware was uploading mass amounts of data (yes, I have anti-virus protection, but like condoms, they are only 99.99% effective). So after formatting my hard drive and reinstalling Windows 7, my screen resolution wasn't availible ( the closest are 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 which makes everything too stretched out or too small.) After looking at Device Manager, it says I'm using "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" except I could have sworn I had some Radon thingy. What can I do about this?
    You can download the latest Radeon drivers for your card here:
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

There should be an auto-detect option on that page.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    So it's not a Radeon, their thing couldn't find it.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Windows Key + R, type in dxdiag, click on display. Your graphics card should be displayed there.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Shouldn't run:dxdiag tell you what you need to know?

• Options
    minirhyder wrote: »
    Windows Key + R, type in dxdiag, click on display. Your graphics card should be displayed there.

scg3uiogpxzx.png

This is what I see. But trying to mess with Nvidia's site, I have Chrome and their scanner uses Java, which chrome doesn't support.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Seems like your PC doesn't recognize your video card it seems to be using the onboard one, so any browser-based detectors will just tell you the same thing.

E: downloading drivers can fix that...is there a way you can physically see what card you have? If it's a laptop, can you look up the laptop's specs online?

minirhyder on
  • Options
    Tried to take some pictures but I only have a crappy camera phone. I don't see anything that says anything except the black chip things say "ASint"

fjegntf20684.jpg

82qefuiwmjr7.jpg

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Have you tried running geforce experience? Might be able to find your drivers that way.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Pull the card out and take decent pictures of it/write down the serial numbers/manufacture then put it back.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Looks like you have this card, based on the serial number on the sticker.

Most recent drivers for that card are here.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Run> devmgmt.msc > Rightclick display adapter > properties > details > dropdown box to hardware ID. should see a string like this PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1183&SUBSYS_100010DE&REV_A1

Bolded area VEN is for the vendor or mfg of the device. DEV is for the device number.

http://pcidatabase.com lets you search by vendor or device, I suggest doing a vendor search then just using CTRL F to find the device by device ID.

It's great especially for OEM machines because there will normally be a link to the driver.

• Options
    Doing so gave me these codes:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A65&SUBSYS_83F41043&REV_A2
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A65&SUBSYS_83F41043
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A65&CC_030000
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A65&CC_0300

which none of them matched their database.

• Options
    Nevermind, folks. Close this thread.

I was grabbing one of my flash drives to put some of my install programs for stuff like Vassal and paint.net in and I found the graphic drivers in one of them. Problem solved.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Nevermind, folks. Close this thread.

I was grabbing one of my flash drives to put some of my install programs for stuff like Vassal and paint.net in and I found the graphic drivers in one of them. Problem solved.
    Just out of curiosity, what was your graphics card, after all was said and done?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Nvidia GeForce 210

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Doing so gave me these codes:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A65&SUBSYS_83F41043&REV_A2
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A65&SUBSYS_83F41043
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A65&CC_030000
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A65&CC_0300

which none of them matched their database.

Was able to locate it on the database, use the value after ven and dev (10de 0a65). Nice save having old drivers though

• Options
    Not sure what I did wrong then. Good thing I backed up stuff. I wished I had remembered it a few days ago.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Nvidia GeForce 210

Called it. :P