As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need Scholarly Advice Regarding Eddas

DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy EaterRight behind you...Registered User regular
The title pretty much says it, but I'll be more specific.

I'm looking to study both the Prose and Poetic Eddas. This is for my own enlightenment and not for a class or anything. Therefore, I have time to really get down into the nitty gritty and the desire to use said time. However, I would like recommendations for a good English translation/edition. I'm looking for something as complete as possible and as accurately translated as possible, but I don't really know where to look for such things since everyone seems to have an opinion online, as unusual as that sounds. But the PA Forums have very rarely steered me wrong in terms of advice.

So, please, recommend me some Eddas.

• Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Prose or Poetic is always the question.

In any case with something like this (I do similar with Sappho) you want ALL the translations. The Bellows is a good, solid Modernist effort. Andersen and Brodeur are good for prose translations.

There are a lot which are, due to the subject matter, available online. Read them all.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Also try asking in the Writer's Block chat thread. To my great surprise they definitely did not bite me.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    I'll second @ceres. The WB people are good people. Spent bunches of time with them in the past. They're better suited to answering questions like this.

3rddocbottom.jpg