Options

Can't update ATI video card

orpheusorpheus Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Below is very detailed info on what I've done to update my video card. Skip to the end for the short version.

I have a Radeon X850. I got the Timeshift demo and it recommended I update my video card. I realized I hadn't done that lately so I got the newest driver and Catalyst Control Center from Ati.com. My version was 7.8 and the newest is 7.10.

It says you should remove all previous Ati drivers and software before loading the new. I ran the Ati software uninstall tool from add/remove programs. I'm then supposed to remove this program called DAO. It won't uninstall. The status bar pops up like its working and then just vanishes half-way. I tried uninstalling it while in safe mode and I got an error saying it won't uninstall in safe mode.

I installed the new Ati driver anyway. None of my games will run (one reported that the game needs pixel shader 1.0 and I have 0.0) and there is an unknown device from Ati in device manager. Display adapters in device manager lists Radeon X850 and Radeon X850 Secondary. My monitor now shows as Plug and Play Monitor instead of Syncmaster like normal.

I ran system restore and went back to before I updated. It restored and all my games ran fine (including Timeshift.)

Last night I loaded up Neverwinter Nights 2. The framerate was horrible using the same settings I always use. I lowered the resolution and turned off Antialiasing and restarted it. The framerate was fine but after a few minutes it crapped out again.

I decided something was wrong so I set a system restore point to try to update the video again.

I installed and removed the video driver a few times but still couldn't get rid of the DAO program. I updated my motherboard and also reinstalled the Ati Multimedia Center (which is apparently responsible for this DAO thing.) My bios is up to date.

Nothing works. I haven't gone back to my restore point yet. I'm not sure if my video card is dying or what the problem is. The fact that NWN2 started running like crap after its been fine worries me.

Short Version
Tried to update Ati Radeon X850 card, but can't remove this DAO program so it doesn't properly update. Went back to previous version using System Restore and all was well until last night when NWN2 started running like crap.

But, if you are after mere parlor tricks, you will be sorely disappointed. For if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, but your very soul!
orpheus on

• Options
    BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hmm, if you hadn't set a system restore point yourself, wouldn't it restore to before you had even downloaded your old drivers?

BlochWave on
  • Options
    orpheusorpheus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    BlochWave wrote: »
    Hmm, if you hadn't set a system restore point yourself, wouldn't it restore to before you had even downloaded your old drivers?

Before I downloaded the old drivers? The 7.8 drivers? That was months ago.

After I went to 7.10 drivers and it didn't work, I tried the previous driver, 7.9. That didn't work either so I did a system restore because I couldn't remember what version I had that was working at that time.

orpheus on
    But, if you are after mere parlor tricks, you will be sorely disappointed. For if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, but your very soul!