As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop won't turn on

SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
A couple days ago a friend called me to help her install a new hard drive on her laptop, since her old one had died. Being the good friend that I am, I agreed. The laptop is a newer dell (XPS I believe) and the hard drive goes into a slot on the side, so swapping the dead hard drive out was simple, and I got windows xp installed on it easily. But while I was running windows update the laptop suddenly shut off and wouldn't turn back on.

I figure this is a problem that will have to be looked at by someone who knows how to work on the internals of a laptop, but I'm not sure what to tell her to tell the techs. My first guess is that the power supply died, but I don't know a lot about troubleshooting hardware problems.

So what sort of things could cause this? She dropped the laptop recently, which I assume is why the old hard drive died. Could that have also cause the PSU or something else to fail?

steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
Sevorak on

• Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Does it not do *anything* when you try to power it on, or does it start up and immediately shut down? Also, does she have a spare battery? If it doesn't even start to turn on, I would try another battery, because yeah beyond that it's probably going to need service.
    If it *does* start to turn on, still try the battery thing, but also make sure it's not overheating. I have a friend with a Dell laptop and it gets so hot that she needs to raise it or it doesn't get enough airflow.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nothing happens when the power button is pressed. The "battery charging" light lights up when the power cord is plugged in though, if that means anything.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The connector from the power button to the main board. Is it snuggly in place? I had an iBook that refused to turn on until I really jammed the plug into the connection.

Uncle Long on