As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Second Life / SWG]

DaisemiinDaisemiin Registered User new member
edited November 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
I've been playing Second Life for awhile now.

SL is a blank slate that people make into what they want for good and bad. Like SWG some people make clothes, some people make war and some just dance all day. The land is divided into squares and squares joined to make continents, subcontinents or in many cases "islands". In many ways SL is what SWG could have been if only.

Alot of us there played SWG and after the 10/24/07 Penny Arcade comic about BioWare Star Wars MMO rumors I've been thinking about SWG ALOT and talking about the old days with the other Refugees in SL.

I'm thinking of going back for a visit, I hear its a ghost town everywhere. Anyone made the voyage lately and have a report?

Daisemiin on

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I subscribed about 3 months ago and was severely disappointed.

The game is literally inhospitable to new players. I'm level freaking 86 (out of 90) and I found leveling up impossible without hours of mindless grinding. That wouldn't be so bad but there is no loot system in SWG really, so...

That's all I have to say.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I tried out an SWG trial last month. The first 20 or so levels are pretty decent with the newish Legacy quest line - however, the trial caps you at level 25. Like a total dunce, I bit and subbed for a month.

... the game started sucking about ten levels after. And I mean sucked. Questline upon questline that rewards no xp or anything worthwhile, even after hours of mindless killing. Soloing the game is maddeningly slow, even respeccing from one solo-friendly class (Smuggler til the early 30s, then Jedi or Soldier after) to another.

Well, grouping's what MMOs are all about, right? I'll let my good friend Mr. Phil Ken Sebben explain:

philkensebbenwj1.jpg
    Ha ha! Group XP penalty.

They fairly recently nerfed the ever-loving shit out of group XP (grouping with just one other person a couple levels below you can cut your xp upwards of 70%) while simultaneously buffing the ever-loving shit out of mobs, making almost every mob pack you come across social, which means you'd be hard-pressed to solo it. Basically, the risk vs. reward got thrown completely out of whack.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    At least i know theres someone else as dumb as me for dropping cash on shit MMOs.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Saban wrote: »
    At least i know theres someone else as dumb as me for dropping cash on shit MMOs.

Well in my defense, I ended up playing the rest of that one month mostly for the space combat, which is still pretty goddamn fantastic.

(mainly because SOE hasn't touched the space game in nearly three years)

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    and they never will, any development done on that game these days is slowly trickling in content they deleted with the NGE except somehow worse/shittier.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Jasconius wrote: »
    and they never will, any development done on that game these days is slowly trickling in content they deleted with the NGE except somehow worse/shittier.

Well, the next major patch is supposed to have some space overhaul coming with it. We'll see though.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    BuchwaldBuchwald Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    this thread made me wanna play WoW. PEWPEWPEW.

Buchwald on
    "That theory is just the looniest of a whole bunch of complete nonsense that is spouted by Amanda Winn Lee and her cohorts in the Audio Commentary."