As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ISIS/DASH] Bombing in Istanbul

majanzmajanz Registered User regular
edited January 2016 in Social Entropy++
Background: I travel a bit for work. Nothing like Anthony Bourdain or the crazy foods guy, but I still get to see the world.

So I was just in Istanbul last summer, and I had asked a co-worker there, "Hey, you guys have a border with Syria. Do you ever worry about ISIS/DASH and all the crazy shit going on over there?"

"No, no, no, that CAN'T happen here!", was his dismissive response.
CNN: ISIS member behind deadly Istanbul suicide blast

Istanbul (CNN)The suicide bomber who killed at least 10 foreigners Tuesday in a popular central Istanbul tourist area belonged to ISIS, officials said -- an attack that shows the group's nerve, reach and capacity for terror.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan initially said the attacker had Syrian roots. A short time later, Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu went one step further, saying the man responsible for the blast came from outside Turkey and was a member of ISIS, the terror menace that has entrenched itself in neighboring Syria and Iraq while proving willing time and again to lash out worldwide.

"These terrorists (are) targeting the whole of civilization," Davutoglu said.

At least nine German nationals died in the attack between the Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque tourist attractions in Istanbul's cultural and historic heart, said a Turkish official who declined to be named. Davutoglu indicated that the 15 wounded were from inside and outside his country.

Yeah, that area is tourist central. I'm actually surprised that only 10 were killed and 15 wounded.

If ISIS is going to continue targeting major tourist sites around the world, Paris, Brussels, now Istanbul - this does not bode well for travel junkies like me.

w5vprjgpbg3w.jpg

majanz on

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's the middle of winter, during spring/summer there would probabaly have been alot more tourists.

Maybe now Turkey will begin to control its borders its bit better to at least try to reduce border crossings/smuggling etc of all the different militant groups in that region.

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    We only get one Politics thread here. Please use that one, or visit one of the other sub forums to continue this discussion.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
This discussion has been closed.