As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't get COUNTIF to work in Excel

NoughtNought Registered User regular
Hi

For some reason I can't get the function COUNTIF to work in Excel. When I try to activate it, the second part of the range trows up an error message.

As in =COUNTIF(A1:A20,C1) excel won't run it, and highlights A20 as the part that is the problem.

I'm on a mac computer for the first time in my life, and it's unsettling me, so my normal problem solving skills seem to be failing me. Do I need to run the developer panel in Excel to use that function, or is there something obvious that I'm not doing?

Any help welcomed :)

On fire
Island. Being on fire.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Is A20 a different format than the others?
    Is A20 the cell you're trying to run the formula?

• Options
    No to both.

I'm sure it's just a simple problem, but I just can't seem to find the solution, and working on a mac isn't helping me.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    The formula should work, have you tried it in a fresh workbook?

Other than you posting a sanitized version of the file I've got no ideas

• Options
    I'm getting off work now, so will look and see if I have the same problem when I get home to my windows PC. But thanks for responding so far :)

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Ya, there's not a lot of information to go off of. What error are you getting? #VALUE? If you could sanitize the actual formula, the contents of A20 and C1, it would be easier to make a guess. COUNTIF can fail if the search criteria is too long. I think older versions would error out if the search area was incorrectly specified (like if you tried to choose a starting cell down or to the right of the ending cell), but newer versions will fix that automatically. And there are a bunch of ways to screw it up if you're using named ranges, or ranges in a different worksheet.

• Options
    Thank you all for trying to help me. Found the error.

In the Danish version of Excel I have to use a semicolon after the range rather than a comma for som reason.

Very strange that they would change something like that.

Also for some reason the functions have been translated, so COUNTIF don't work it seem. I have to use the function TÆL.HVIS. Very strange to me that they would adapt functions to the language.

Problem solved. This thread can be closed.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.