As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mac OS X wmv, mpg etc player

b0bd0db0bd0d Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
Friend of mine just got a new mac. He's looking for a good program to view wmv mpg, etc. I really dont wanna install windows media player cuase you know...windows. I know for xp there's a freeware window media player classic out there. Is there an alternative for the mac?

b0bd0d on

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    MPlayer OSX.

Done.

There's also VLC, and it can do some stuff that MPlayer can't. But for general purpose I stick with MPlayer. I'm pretty sure Media Player Classic is built around the Windows version of MPlayer...so it should be able to handle all the same stuff you're used to it handling.

Also there is the Flip4Mac plugin for Quicktime for playing WMV files, such as live video feeds, embedded in webpages.

EDIT: And tell him to go grab FFmpegX too, for video conversion.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    Seconding Flip4Mac.

denihilist on
  • Options
    b0bd0db0bd0d Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    thanks...why is there only one button?

b0bd0d on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    denihilist wrote:
    Seconding Flip4Mac.
    Flip4Mac is great if you have QuickTime Pro, and thus can use it for fullscreen. Otherwise MPlayer OSX is a must-have.
    b0bd0d wrote:
    ??

mcdermott on
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Flip4Mac, works great.

Even if you don't have PRO use this script and you can have full screen for free and without stealing, which is wrong.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    b0bd0d wrote:

because apple is silly

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Gafoto wrote:
    b0bd0d wrote:

because apple is silly

ooooooh...he was talking about the mouse (I now assume). The purpose of having one button was, I believe, to keep interfaces as simple as possible and to encourage keyboard shortcuts over point-and-click (I know I use the keyboard more now than I ever did under Windows).

However, all you have to do is buy a standard 2-button (or three button) mouse, and it will have pretty much the same functionality as in Windows. Apple sells one now, too...it's pricey, though, so I went with a standard Logitech wireless mouse.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    CailYoungCailYoung Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If he just bought a new Mac from Apple; it came with the Mighty Mouse (unless it's a laptop) - if he goes to the System Preferences and then to Mouse/Keyboard, he can change the right-click to "secondary" and get full right-click functionality. Just make sure you lift the left finger - takes a while to get used to, but it works.

New laptops should let you right-click by placing two fingers on the trackpad and clicking.

CailYoung on
    Freak this, I'm going to the toilet - Shaun Micallef
  • Options
    Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    mcdermott wrote:
    Gafoto wrote:
    b0bd0d wrote:

because apple is silly

ooooooh...he was talking about the mouse (I now assume). The purpose of having one button was, I believe, to keep interfaces as simple as possible and to encourage keyboard shortcuts over point-and-click (I know I use the keyboard more now than I ever did under Windows).

However, all you have to do is buy a standard 2-button (or three button) mouse, and it will have pretty much the same functionality as in Windows. Apple sells one now, too...it's pricey, though, so I went with a standard Logitech wireless mouse.

i would recommend not buying the might mouse though, the right click is poorly planned (you have to basically shift your whole hand to the right to make it recognize it as a right click and not left click)

Gotcha Force on
  • Options
    CailYoungCailYoung Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    (you have to basically shift your whole hand to the right to make it recognize it as a right click and not left click)

Or just lift your left finger... not hard after a few hours.

CailYoung on
    Freak this, I'm going to the toilet - Shaun Micallef
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Flip4mac and MPlayer OSX. That's all you really need.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png