As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Times Square - what to do?

ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
We're going to be in Times Square next weekend for a getaway. It was a gift trip from the wife's parents, and part of it was a show Saturday night (Book of Mormon, cannot wait!). However, we're not sure what else we should hit while we're there, so I'm looking for ideas. We're not looking to go too far from Times Square if we can help it. The one thing I know we're going to do is go to the Nintendo World Store since it will be right after the reopening, and my wife won't want to miss the Pokemon anniversary.

So what else should we make sure we do while we're there? We're looking for any shops or things we should make sure to visit. The museum of natural history looks like a 15 minute cab ride, is that right?

And we'd like suggestions for a nice restaurant to hit for dinner one night. Something not too fancy, but we'd be OK dropping $100 for dinner without drinks.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Since she likes pokemans, check out Image Anime over on W 30th st.

Also over by Bryant park check out Kinokuniya (asian book store that does anime stuff too).

That is, if you/her like Anime in general.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I'm ok with a small subset of anime, but she's not a fan at all. Still, she is a big fan of the Pokeymans.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    It's a bit under 2 miles from Times Square to the Museum of Natural History. If you two are up for it, make the walk instead of taking a cab. At least one way. Walk through Columbus Circle. Walk up Broadway and see the Lincoln Center. Stop at Epicerie Boulud for some amazing pastries and baked goods, or some excellent sandwiches or other quick savory bites. Then cut back from Broadway to Central Park West and walk along the park the rest of the way.

I love that walk. Plenty to see and take in. Great food at Epicerie Boulud. I've done it every time i've been to NYC, sometimes more than once on the same trip.

Consider a second show if you can find something with less expensive tickets. My wife and I saw Pippin and Once the last time we were in the area, and loved both.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I'm ok with a small subset of anime, but she's not a fan at all. Still, she is a big fan of the Pokeymans.

Ah, well, you still might enjoy the book store at least!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I will always recommend that people see Avenue Q and/or Stomp if either are up your alley in entertainment options. Stomp is a bit of a hike away from Times Square though. For food, Ippudo is some great ramen and will probably run around 50-60 bucks before drinks.

pirateluigi on
    http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Enjoy some cheap and good Thai food in the area. Go up to 9th ave and just walk down and pick a place.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I will always recommend that people see Avenue Q and/or Stomp if either are up your alley in entertainment options. Stomp is a bit of a hike away from Times Square though. For food, Ippudo is some great ramen and will probably run around 50-60 bucks before drinks.

Ippudo is delicious.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Book of Mormon is just the greatest. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Times Square is sort of an unpleasant place to hang around because it tends to be so crowded all the time. But it's a major transportation hub and can get you to most of manhattan in under 30 minutes by subway.

I would recommend the metropolitan museum of art. It borders Central Park and is free (they have a suggested donation to guilt you but you don't have to give anything!)

It's huge and incredible. My favorite bit is arms and armor, they have an original ornamental colt 45, samurai swords, middle eastern blades and so forth

Take a short walk to Gotham market - it's an upscale food court. Do yourself a favor and get some ample hills ice cream, it's bangin

My favorite restaurant in the Times Square area for a fancy meal is chez jospehine. It's old school French with a broadway atmosphere and their lobster bisque is great

I would also recommend taking the shuttle (the gray subway line) or walking to grand central if you've never been. It's a gorgeous building and has a few quiet places to get pints of ny beer

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I've been to NYC twice. I've followed Casual Eddy's suggestions twice. Twice now I have been immensely satisfied.

• Options
    Nintendo world was awesome, we went to the Disney store and got some adorable outfits for Jaina, and the wife got a new watch at the Swatch store.

Thanks @pirateluigi for the recommendation. Ippudo was amazing. Clearly people know that, as well. We got there just after 5 when they opened, and by 530 they were packed with a ton of people waiting. Had some great ramen, fantastic sake, and an out of this world take on gyoza.

Tomorrow, the museum of natural history and the show, with somewhere for dinner in between. Still trying to decide that part.

• Options
    Hey @Casual Eddy was right, Chez Josephine was amazing. I had fantastic French onion soup and a great trout dish for dinner, and the wife had butternut squash soup and a rich orange duck. Just great all around.

I managed to screw up my foot real bad last night so I couldn't walk a lot, but the cabs weren't hideously expensive. Book of Mormon was awesome. Hilarious, had me crying a couple times. The museum was great too, really enjoyed looking at the dinosaurs and various animals, and listened to the dulcet tones of Neil DeGrasse Tyson serenade me in the planetarium. I can't wait until Jaina is older to take her.

We'll be leaving around noon tomorrow, but thanks for the suggestions. There was way too much to do and not enough time. I definitely want to go to the museum of art next time, and Gotham market (sounds a bit like Faneuil Hall).