As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Blue Dot

DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
The Blue Dot before a thread title is a very helpful little thing that helps me keep track of what I've posted in. I love it and have no idea how we lived without it before. However in threads that come and go such as Smash Bros threads you'll generally have the first couple pages filled with filler posts with a little (blue dotting) message.

Now when you open a thread and go to thread tools and select subscribe to thread it does it's thing but sadly does not give a dot. Often there are threads I just want to follow and not exactly contribute to and the blue dot would work wonders. It would be great if using Thread Tools > Subscribe added a blue dot. This would save wading through the user panel.

DekuStick on

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Or if there was a button in the thread that let you mark it with the dot, that would be nice too.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Even better, if you could just click the dot and it changes colors/fill. Probably too advanced to do.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm pretty sure that the default set-up for vB includes a little "subscribed thread" icon to the right of the thread title....

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That's a pretty cool idea. I imagine lurkers would love it a lot (seriously, I'm thinking they would).

Henroid on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So THAT'S what that means. I feel stupid.

Magus` on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    also, anything to cut down on posts of "blue dot' would be great.

I mean, it's equally, if not more annoying that posts proclaiming, "bump'.

redfenix on
  • Options
    locopostallocopostal Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    That's a pretty cool idea. I imagine lurkers would love it a lot (seriously, I'm thinking they would).

its true! as a lurker i wholeheartedly support this. I generally don't have much to contribute anyway. see: this post

locopostal on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Once you subscribe to a thread I'm not quite sure how the blue dot's presence or absence makes any difference.

Having a blue dot marked as a priority thing would be a little handy, however, why not just unsubscribe to to threads you aren't really following anymore?

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Once you subscribe to a thread I'm not quite sure how the blue dot's presence or absence makes any difference.

Having a blue dot marked as a priority thing would be a little handy, however, why not just unsubscribe to to threads you aren't really following anymore?

Well the idea is that it will cut down on that. Making it a little easier for people to follow threads without having to roll through the User Panel.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I still don't follow. There are two ways to subscribe to threads: posting in them, or using thread tools->subscribe to this thread.

Is the idea to cut down on time spent unsubscribing to threads? Isn't that only a problem if people resurrect dead threads though?

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I still don't follow. There are two ways to subscribe to threads: posting in them, or using thread tools->subscribe to this thread.

Is the idea to cut down on time spent unsubscribing to threads? Isn't that only a problem if people resurrect dead threads though?

I'm just saying it makes things easier when you're browsing forums to see a Blue Dot you placed that shows you put interest into a thread. Thread titles can change and what not. It's cutting down on time spent in your user panel sifting through threads you've subscribed to. If you're browsing G&T you can look and see Blue Dots in threads you've posted in thats great. But you can't see everything you've subscribed to. What I'm really asking for is some identification to threads you've shown interest in without going into the user panel.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ah ok, that makes sense to me now. I like it.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    TheOne(AndOnly)TheOne(AndOnly) Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    locopostal wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

its true! as a lurker i wholeheartedly support this. I generally don't have much to contribute anyway. see: this post

TheOne(AndOnly) on
    BNet USEast: Lampley | PKBlack FC:1850-1035-3335 | LoL PATheOneAndOnly
    PSN: Lqmpley | Steam: TheOne(AndOnly)
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I really enjoy the Blue Dot system, as it's handy to be able to look in a forum index and see immediately what I've been participating in. (Or, as a funny aside, what threads I randomly drunkenly posted in--it's happened once or twice.)

I would also be interested in a way to remove the blue dot. There are some threads that I was interested in when they started, but now they've gotten to a point where the topic isn't anything I want anything to do with (for whatever reason), and removing the blue dot would be nice.

I say it would be nice, because it's not necessary. I've been managing just by ignoring it when it's with a thread I don't want to follow anymore and that works just fine. I did try unsubscribing from a thread, but it didn't change the blue dot back to the full yellow. Maybe I just did it wrong or am remembering wrong--that's possible.

LaOs on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I love this idea, except that I think it should be a different color if you haven't posted in the thread. Maybe like a red dot if you're just subscribed, and then a purple dot if you've posted and still have it subscribed.

Veevee on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LaOs wrote: »
    I really enjoy the Blue Dot system, as it's handy to be able to look in a forum index and see immediately what I've been participating in. (Or, as a funny aside, what threads I randomly drunkenly posted in--it's happened once or twice.)

I would also be interested in a way to remove the blue dot. There are some threads that I was interested in when they started, but now they've gotten to a point where the topic isn't anything I want anything to do with (for whatever reason), and removing the blue dot would be nice.

I say it would be nice, because it's not necessary. I've been managing just by ignoring it when it's with a thread I don't want to follow anymore and that works just fine. I did try unsubscribing from a thread, but it didn't change the blue dot back to the full yellow. Maybe I just did it wrong or am remembering wrong--that's possible.

It's a pretty common thing amongst all forums.

my_veryhot_poll.gif vs veryhot_post.gif

The trick is that PA's color scheme is very high-contrast and such, making it easy to identify. However, most software only turns on that flag if you post in a thread.

the EASIEST way to implement what people are saying is to have the flag for subscribing to a thread match the posting in a thread icon, or maybe have some subtle differences (like shading). This will get confusing, though, once you have a post where you have both subscribed and posted in.

Also, keep in mind that double-clicking on the dot marks a thread as read/unread. So you can't use that to subscribe.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, to the G&T mods I ask this:

Can we get "Blue dot" posts flagged under the same rule as the "In before the lock" shit (which hasn't been used in lord knows how long, but that just goes to show that the clamp on it worked)?

Henroid on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What the hell? Are these "blue dot" posts common? Because I certainly haven't seen a single fucking one, ever. o_0

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    What the hell? Are these "blue dot" posts common? Because I certainly haven't seen a single fucking one, ever. o_0
    They're generally confined to the Brawl threads at the moment, but they could easily spread. I'd consider it a vaccination against a much worse disease if they were stomped on now rather than later.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007
    If people are doing dumb shit in that thread again so help me...

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm not entirely sure this is a coincidence, but it seems to me that the ones posting the bullshit in the previous iterations are the same ones making the blue dot posts. Or at least that's how it seems.

Just please don't stop the threads completely; as much as I have no interest in Street Fighter or 9/11 conspiracy theories, I do want to discuss Smash Brothers....

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I assume it's not entirely limited to the Brawl thread, and if it is it isn't exactly kill-the-thread-and-everyone-in-it-I-told-you-guys-I-would-do-this -worthy.

Basically some people in the first few pages are dropping relatively short posts expressing opinions on the last update or the game in general, with the words "blue dot" spoilered.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited November 2007
    I'm willing to allow people to make the occasional blue-dot post for purposes of thread tracking until such time that I can implement the feature talked about in this thread (associating thread subscriptions with a visual indicator on the forumdisplay.php page).

I need to deal with the performance issues before I even consider purple-dot or whatever it ends up being.

Ramius on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007
    I personally went through the thread and infracted anyone who posted purely for the purpose of putting a blue dot on the thread.

Tube on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited November 2007
    Ah, I see that now... Looks like the infractions hit about the same time I was posting my opinion.

To the public: Sorry I didn't check-in with tube first before expressing my opposing view. While I feel differently than him on this issue, his is the opinion that counts on this matter. Consider it an official rule, that posting in a thread just to add a blue dot is unacceptable and punishable behavior.

Ramius on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So achieve the blue dot by contributing something meaningful? :P

MKR on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MKR wrote: »
    So achieve the blue dot by contributing something meaningful? :P

That and don't just put the words 'blue dot' or 'blue dot poast' anywhere in it.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So are we reporting 'blue dot' posts now? Is this just ones with only "blue dot" or any post containing it?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    So are we reporting 'blue dot' posts now? Is this just ones with only "blue dot" or any post containing it?

I certainly wouldn't go around looking for it like some forum back seat moderator but if the post only contains Blue Dot or doesn't contribute to the thread at all then I guess we could report it. Seems like a waste of time for our mods to go around slapping infractions for it. The idea of my thread wasn't to crack down on Blue Dotters but to consider the idea of having an indicator without actually posting in the thread.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Just don't make a scene of it if it shows up.

Henroid on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2007
    Athenor wrote: »
    Also, keep in mind that double-clicking on the dot marks a thread as read/unread.

For me it locks the thread. :P

It tends to happen in threads that are... stupid. This is why we've had to threaten to take the stupid thread away recently.

Echo on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    Also, keep in mind that double-clicking on the dot marks a thread as read/unread.

It tends to happen in threads that are... stupid. This is why we've had to threaten to take the stupid thread away recently.

Last I checked, double-clicking threads didn't do anything. Double-clicking Forums marked them read. If I recall, it's due to the fact that Mods double-click threads to lock them that us normal forum people cannot use a double-click to mark threads as read.

LaOs on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    LaOs wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

Last I checked, double-clicking threads didn't do anything. Double-clicking Forums marked them read. If I recall, it's due to the fact that Mods double-click threads to lock them that us normal forum people cannot use a double-click to mark threads as read.

You are correct on both points.

Narian on
    Narian.gif