Options

Universal Remotes!

ToyDToyD Registered User regular
So, if you all are like me, you have several components in your home theater setup. I'm out there looking for a new universal remote that will control EVERYTHING I have. I hate having more than 1 remote out for my son to grab and good universal remotes are tough to come by!

This is not for the faint of heart home theater. I'm looking for something with learning capability and perferably no touch screens.

I currently have a Sony RM-AV2500 Remote Commander (Predecessor to This)

The remote does control nearly everything, however I do not care for the unweildy touchscreen element. Too often I find myself hitting the wrong button because I do not want to look down at my remote every time I hit a button.

So, I'm out looking for another universal remote. Here's my list of "absolutely must control, no if/ands/buts" list:

HDTivo
LG HDTV LG42LB5D I believe
LG DVD player not sure on model, pretty generic, bad 1080p upconverting.
Pioneer VSX-709 (dated, I need a new one badly).

I would LIKE if I could program it to also control the 360 through the infared port for my HD DVD player. This would be an ENORMOUS bonus tipping almost anything into must-buy if it can do it without learning.

Here are a few I've come across:
Harmony 880
Sony Remotes
One for All Kameleon Remotes

Now, again, I'm not at ALL fond of the touchscreen remotes. The Kameleon remotes look really snazzy, but touch screens are a pain in the ass. The Harmony 880 looks nifty, but that's a hefty price tag on something I'm not 1000% sure works with all my devices. I'm also not sure how it's touchscreen interfaces.

I'm all about a learning remote, it's almost a necessity anymore. Also, computer set up seems neat, but I'm not sure how valuable it is. I'm willing to learn the setup and I won't faint at programming a macro into the remote.

I'm looking for 1 touch power on/setup (this means not only powers on the devices, but able to hit one key to configure the device into the appropriate mode. Say "TV button" for the amplifier to set it to TV).

HDTivo controls are a huge plus, that's why the harmony looks attractive.

Inputs and feedback appreciated!

steam_sig.png
ToyD on

• Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Aren't the Logitech Harmony remotes really the go-to these days? You can program them over USB, so you can download support for new devices as needed...

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I highly endorse the 880. It's decent build quality, but it's pretty, it works incredibly well, and as a catch all, Logitech support is quite super.
    When you set it up, take your time and make sure all the info is right. You can't totally customize the interface, but you can do quite a bit.
    The 880 is NOT touch screen. All Harmonys are activity based. This means that on my remotes main screen, it says TV, DVD, CD, Wii, PS2, Radio, 8-Track, Record Player, and I think some other things. If I hit TV, it turns my tv on and sets it to the right input, turns the satellite box on, turns my AV reciever on and sets it to the right input, and turns OFF anything not being used. This set up is very very very user friendly. Odds are, it's gonna work with your setup. If for some reason you can't find your equipment in Logitech's database (this won't be an issue, really, their list is absurd), you can teach it the commands from other remotes.
    Try to find it refurbed on Amazon.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Grabbed an 880 off Amazon. We'll see how she works. Thanks for the inputs guys. I honestly had not even heard of Harmony remotes before a little research today.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Many many many many many people have issues when they input their hardware incorrectly. So I feel the need to repeat myself here, take your time in the initial set up. Once you do it and get it working, you'll further understand how it all works and how you can do some other things.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Duly noted.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png