As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kind of early

thedragongemthedragongem Registered User regular
I know it is kind of early but airline tickets from Boise to Seattle for Pax West weekend just went down $92 today. So others may want to check flights from their towns. REMINDER: These flights are most likely NON-REFUNDABLE, so buy at your own risk.

badge.png

• Options
    Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Right now $514 is the lowest i can get from Toronto to Seattle via Calgary and Edmonton on return on Westjet/Delta.

Def thinking if i should buy soon or not, but the risk of not getting PAX tickets is a problem. But the sales of them being as late as may could result in missing the window for best prices on flights.

For Canadians though, i would buy with Canadian airlines as US ones are likely to be quite a bit more expensive despite being the same price for us because of how bad the dollar is here.

Sgt.Mays on
    Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • Options
    thedragongemthedragongem Registered User regular
    Yeah my thought was if I don't get Pax tickets I will just spend a lovely weekend in Seattle. $92 is almost half of for me as tickets are usually around $200.

badge.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    The common wisdom is that plane tickets are cheapest 114 to 27 days out. We are far from 114 right now (May 10th). However, that window is derived from average ticket price for all US travel for the whole year (and includes things like business travel that often costs a lot more). I was unable to find any data about what the price trends are like around event days. People going to PAX have no real choice about when to go and Seattle is not a big airport, and it's also the weekend of Bumbershoot. So my guess is tickets don't follow the usual curve.

I just start watching early and buy whenever it gets good enough. I also go with Southwest because they are always the cheapest (for me) and their tickets are fully reschedulable. And, you buy by the leg, so if one part of the trip is discounted, you can buy it alone and wait for the other. I live in Tucson, and the outbound leg dropped from $169 to $82 for awhile last week. So I'm now only looking for return flights.

Don't forget to factor in luggage fees too. Southwest is cheapest for me mainly because I travel heavy, they have 2 checked bags for free. Those bags would be $120 on most airlines.

And while we're talking early. I booked a hotel room too. Not the room I want, the room I will accept if I don't get the one I want. Which in this case is The Moore. It's ~$130/night and within walking distance of the WSCC. It's an old hotel with no AC, and there are some rooms with shared bathrooms (they are cheaper at least), but it's cheap and has served me well at several PAXen.

• Options
    krae_mankrae_man Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Sgt.Mays wrote: »
    Right now $514 is the lowest i can get from Toronto to Seattle via Calgary and Edmonton on return on Westjet/Delta.

Def thinking if i should buy soon or not, but the risk of not getting PAX tickets is a problem. But the sales of them being as late as may could result in missing the window for best prices on flights.

For Canadians though, i would buy with Canadian airlines as US ones are likely to be quite a bit more expensive despite being the same price for us because of how bad the dollar is here.

Last year I booked after I got tickets and the cheapest flights were $700 Canadian(well there were slightly cheaper ones with terrible arrival/departure times).

I am seriously eyeing committing to a flight now, however the hotels are beyond insane. Every non fleabag is over $300US before taxes.

krae_man on
  • Options
    jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    krae_man wrote: »

Last year I booked after I got tickets and the cheapest flights were $700 Canadian(well there were slightly cheaper ones with terrible arrival/departure times).

I am seriously eyeing committing to a flight now, however the hotels are beyond insane. Every non fleabag is over $300US before taxes.

The blocks of PAX reserved hotel rooms are somewhat cheaper than the regular prices. I booked the Sheraton both times I went and it turned out to be a pretty good decision.
    I've also used AirBnB both times I went to PAX Prime for pre and post PAX lodging. I can say with some certainty that AirBnB is a great option if your looking to spend a little less and maybe split the cost.

• Options
    Yeah I've used the PAX hotels before. I stayed at the hyatt last year it being close was awesome, but it was, way, way money then I should have spent after the Canadian took a massive dive between when I booked and when I paid for the room.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Yeah I've used the PAX hotels before. I stayed at the hyatt last year it being close was awesome, but it was, way, way money then I should have spent after the Canadian took a massive dive between when I booked and when I paid for the room.

Looks like it is improving a bit, here is hoping it keeps going or stays the way it is at least.

AirBnB may be the best option for some of us Canadians though.

Sgt.Mays on

Attending West 2019
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Yeah my thought was if I don't get Pax tickets I will just spend a lovely weekend in Seattle. $92 is almost half of for me as tickets are usually around $200.

There will be lovely community events to spend your lovely weekend at anyway even if you can't got to PAX itself :D

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Well booked my flights. Found the Itinerary I wanted for $510CDN. Almost $200 cheaper then last year. Now I just need to make sure I get tickets.

• Options
    Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    Well prices on flights is coming down in price nicely. I'm going to wait a bit and hope that airplane costs keep coming down. It's at approximately 410 CAN.

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Nfan10039 wrote: »
    Well prices on flights is coming down in price nicely. I'm going to wait a bit and hope that airplane costs keep coming down. It's at approximately 410 CAN.

I don't know about international airfare, but they say cheapest tickets are 114-27 days out. In the case of PAX West, that is May 10th.

• Options
    kbschmidkbschmid Calgary, ABRegistered User regular
    Was able to get about $350 WJ (through Delta) flights from YYC to SEA. We booked a hotel that we can cancel, just in case I have a lapse and miss the hotel block, but the plan is certainly to do the PAX hotel route. At least the exchange is getting better (this was also a bad year to buy our Geek Chic table, but oh well)

Don't forget about room sharing. That will also potentially make things cheaper.

By day, a mild-mannered charity guy
    By night, a gamer.
    PAX Prime 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 18
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    MIght be on the same flight, connecting from Toronto on WestJet. Watching the price closely and thinking of booking soon.

Hopefully hotels will not be too expensive, gonna just wait for the OnPeak stuff myself or room share.

Sgt.Mays on

Attending West 2019
  • Options
    MIght be on the same flight, connecting from Toronto on WestJet. Watching the price closely and thinking of booking soon.

Hopefully hotels will not be too expensive, gonna just wait for the OnPeak stuff myself or room share.

Don't wait too long. The flights start around $500 and that is $200 cheaper then I paid last year. Air Canada is $150 more expensive then Westjet right now that that gap will close quickly.

• Options

Don't wait too long. The flights start around $500 and that is $200 cheaper then I paid last year. Air Canada is $150 more expensive then Westjet right now that that gap will close quickly.

Yea prob gonna buy soon, and hey if i do not get Prime tickets, i can cancel and use the Westjet travel bank thing to go to PAX East instead.

Attending West 2019