As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is with these PC Tournaments?

zoidbergzoidberg Registered User regular
edited April 2016 in PAX East
I was at the first PAX East in 2010, and there was a big Battlefield tournament, and a bunch of other games too. But what is this? Friday there are 3 PC tournys: QWOP, CLOP, and GIRP? Excuse my french, but WHAT THE F**K is this? They are like experimental flash games. Where's the TF2, Rocket League, Counter strike, battlefield, and REAL GAMES? I just felt like venting this, because as a competitive PC gamer, PAX isn't looking too accommodating for me... which is slightly disappointing. Anyone else have anything to say about this?

zoidberg on

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    1. Somebody makes this thread every PAX, lol.
    2. They don't want to do the same tournaments as everyone else. PAX tournaments are meant to be more casual than other stuff, so they usually don't pick hyper-competitive games.
    3. No "REAL GAMES?" Did you see the Unreal Tournament 2004 tournament, it's only one of the best shooters ever made.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2016
    While it's not on the website schedule yet, the PAX Arena schedule is now on the mobile app. Competitive-style tournaments have been moved to the PAX Arena at each PAX, separate from the different departments.

At PAX West 2015, they concentrated on Rocket League
    At PAX South 2016, it was Smash Bros. and Hearthstone
    At PAX East 2016, it appears to be Overwatch and Street Fighter

The departments have always tried to provide a fun-for-all style of tournament, mixing in traditional competitive games with non-traditional games. With the creation of the PAX Arena, this will likely continue but the balance might shift some.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the Kerbal tourney last year, though the goal was WAY TOO HARD for the time they had. :)

• Options
    DarkshowersDarkshowers Registered User regular
    I am not familiar with this PAX Arena. If it's for Street Fighter for example, will it only be the newest Street Fighter 5 or other Street Fighter games as well like 2 and 3?

Ds3hsEH.png
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    Fighting Street, hopefully.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    trevdaktrevdak Registered User new member
    edited April 2016
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    1. Somebody makes this thread every PAX, lol.

Yeah, well, this year's PC gaming options are especially pathetic
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    2. They don't want to do the same tournaments as everyone else. PAX tournaments are meant to be more casual than other stuff, so they usually don't pick hyper-competitive games.

Yeah, nobody wants tournaments of those hardcore games like TF2 or minecraft or CS:GO or Kerbal Space Program. And nobody likes starcraft or LoL or DOTA or Age of Empires.

Not to mention they did QWOP and QWOP clones and UT2k4 and Don't Starve all last year. Has no other tournament worthy casual or non-casual game been developed?

Gotta have more QWOP clones! MORE QWOP CLONES!!!

trevdak on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I would suggest making this preference known in the post-pax survey if you haven't already, but it sounds like you should check out the PAX Arena!

• Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    Holy shit I'm really good at girp. MY SHIP'S FINALLY COME IN!