As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk HDTVs and gaming consoles

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
I'm surprised not to see a thread about this, seeing as how this is one of the most frequently asked questions I saw in G&T.

Anyway: I'm one of the teeming masses of people looking to pitch my SDTV for an HDTV this fall. I own a Wii and 360, and while I understand the difference between 480p/720p/1080i/1080p my knowledge goes little further beyond that. Ultimately I'm going to poke around this weekend and eyeball a lot of sets, but I also know that store displays are very poorly set up, too.

So I have a whole bunch of questions, and I know a bunch of other people will, too.

1) I'm looking at the 37" to 42" inch range. Should I remotely care about going up for a 1080p set? Note that I play my 360 on an SD set and I still think it looks beautiful, and my existing TV doesn't even do component. I've been rocking S-video for about 6 years now.

2) I know that 720p versus 1080i is kind of a big debate, but if a TV description says the set is "720p native" and doesn't mention 1080i at all, does that mean it can't handle a 1080i signal? Or that it just converts the signal and displays it in 720?

3) Contrast ratio: Is this something I should honestly care about, or is this delving into nitpick territory?

4) I know this is kind of a YMMV question, but: What brands should I be looking for/avoiding? I know that the Olevia LCDs ets a lot of love for being a good budget option; on the flip side, I've heard a lot of people say the Samsung LCDs are excellent, and Sony Bravia LCDs are top-notch but pricey as hell. Are these generally correct?

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on

• Options
    KarennaKarenna Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I personally think that if you are a gamer with a 360/ps3, you might as well go ahead and get a 1080p-type TV, rather than a 720p one. Prices have dropped quite a bit over the last 6-12 months, and will continue to. I think the smallest 1080p set you can get is 42" fyi.

Granted, you will NOT see any useful change on the Wii, since it will only do max 480p iirc.

Either way, the jump from ye olde S-video to 720p, much less 1080p will blow your mind.

As to contrast ratio, I find many of their ratings to be complete and total bullshit. The only way to really check out a TV is to go 'audition' it, like you would a good pair of speakers. BB or CC are great places to check out TVs; go early on a Sat/Sun, and ask one of the salesdudes to change inputs on them for you, to get a wide variety of views.

Also: Check out teh Black Friday thread, there's a lot of different TV's up for sale on the day after Thanksgiving (US), and if you're looking for a new set, that is the day to pick it up.

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    When you go to the store ask for the remote and change the settings yourself as just looking at a TV doesn't tell you anything, especially in BB or CC where they have teh worst settings possible. I also recommends picking several TVs and reading the AVS Forum thread for each, though they bitch about everything so if you aren't a perfectionist you might want to take what they say with a grain of salt.

On brands, Sony, Samsung and Panasonic are the three high end brands with Sharp and Toshiba being slightly below. The thing to see though is if you can actually see the difference and if it actually bothers between these brands and the lower quality ones.

khain on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm also going to go ahead and recommend you pay attention to the vertical viewing angle. For instance the contrast on my tv is a lot deeper when I sit down (at which point the tv is about a foot above my sitting position) vs when I stand up. Not that it looks bad in either case, but there's a definite difference and if it's too extreme or can't be adjusted satisfactorily you won't be happy if/when you play Wii games standing up.

Note that most of the displayed tvs are going to be eye level for a standing individual.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Contrast ratio is very important. My dad's TV is only 1000:1 and my TV is 2800:1 and there is a HUGE difference between the quality of the picture between the two. The higher the better. I will also personally recommend Samsung, as they have a great picture and 3 year warranty on most of their products.

urahonky on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If your staying 42" or under I honestly wouldn't worry that much about 1080P, naturally yo should go into a store and take a look at a 720P and 1080P side by side, but unless your sitting two feet away from the TV you probably won't notice much of a difference, at least not enough to justify the higher cost of a 1080P set for most people. there is a good chance you won't be able to see any difference

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Test the damn Wii on the TV.

I cannot stress this enough. Your 360 will scale to whatever the TV's resolution is. Your Wii will not; it's only outputting 480p at most. So test it. Test some 480p stuff and some 480i stuff. Some HDTVs will have good scalers in them that will display a 480p signal on a 720p panel without fucking it up. Some do not, and will make your Wii look terrible and possibly even add input lag. Some HDTVs have good deinterlacers, to make 480i content look decent. Some do not, and might not display old 240p games (NeoGeo VC games, ICO, and anything on any system older than the Dreamcast) at all!

So test this stuff. This isn't anything you can find on a spec sheet.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Look for low lag... or a 'gaming mode' option. If you've ever played Guitar Hero with lag (even with the correction) you will know just how good you have it with 0 lag.

I game on a 46 inch 1080i CRT with no lag and when I go to my cousin's house and her XBR2 it's quite a different experience.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you have/will have a PS3, know that there are some issues with it scaling to 1080i. (As in, from what I understand, it doesn't)

I'm going through the same quandary as the OP, and am currently looking at this: Sony Bravia 40" LCD

My buddy got one last December, and it is fucking gorgeous with both the PS3 and the Wii.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Since no one else has really addressed your second question, I'll throw in my two cents. In general, most TVs cannot display both 1080i and 720p natively (not even 1080p sets, I believe), so you're usually going to have to pick between one or the other. Most HD sets will upscale/downscale/whatever the picture for you however, to varying degrees of success. You'll have to look at the specs for different TVs to find out this info.

For example, one set may be 720p native resolution and will scale a 1080i picture to that resolution, and many times it will actually look pretty good. However, another TV might not do as good a job. My TV is rear-projection CRT, and it actually has 3 native resolutions - 480i, 480p, and 1080i. Though it's a bit bigger and bulkier, the fact that it can display all three of these natively is a big plus for me, because I hate dealing with the "lag" issues in games and stuff that come from scaling. It also means I can play my Wii in 480p natively without worrying about scaling and stuff. One downside to my TV however is that, when it sees a 720p resolution, it downscales it to 480p instead of upscaling it to 1080i. Personally I can live with it, because the only 720p stuff I watch is on Satellite and my receiver upscales it to 1080i for me so it still looks pretty good, but ymmv. So basically, just figure out what your needs are and what matters most to you resolution-wise, and factor that into your decision.

As for the 720p vs 1080i debate, it's true that there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two. There are small pros and cons between the two you should take into consideration however. 1080i is very good at having an extremely high level of detail. When watching normal Television programs, I personally prefer 1080i because it just looks so nice. Discovery HD is very impressive. On the downside though, the fact that it is interlaced means that you will occasionally see interlacing artifacts, especially when there's a lot of motion on screen. 720p on the other hand, though it has a lower resolution, is progressive scan and therefore handles fast on-screen motion very well. This translates well to stuff like video games and sporting events (probably one reason ESPN uses 720p, although 1080i still looks fantastic for sporting events). Most people I've talked to who have played games natively in both 1080i and 720p prefer the latter because of how well it handles motion and stuff.

So basically, the bottom line is that which one you choose will depend on what you'll be using it more. If you'll be using it mostly for video games, a 720p set would be a wise choice. If you'll mostly just be watching TV on it, 1080i would probably be a good bet. However, all that said, the differences between the two are still very small, almost non-existant to many people. Whichever way you go, you'll probably be safe.

As for 1080p - well, I don't have much experience in that area, so someone else will have to chime in on that one. I personally don't see it being worth the money just yet, but I'm sure someone will have a different perspective.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    PingPongPingPong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    stuff

You, kind sir, are a God amongst men. Much thanks. Now I don't need to worry much since I know 720p and 1080i will not have that big an issue with my 360.

PingPong on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    In general the only sets that do 1080i native are CRT-based.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Yup, this is pretty much true. Almost all of the flat-panel sets use 720p native resolution (or 1080p nowdays). Like I said before though, even though the sets are huge, I really love the picture.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

And I wouldn't have it any other way, I loves my 55" RP-CRT Mitsubishi (WS-55513). The black levels on it are so much better than any LCD or Plasma I've looked at, although a couple of higher-end DLP's I've seen can beat it.

I don't have much to add to the discussion, at least when it comes to addressing Lunker's original post. One thing I would recommend though is to get your set professionally calibrated once you get it home.

Looking at a TV on the sales floor, odds are the contrast and brightness are almost all the way up and the color settings are way off, this is done to give the screen more pop under flourecent lighting and to draw the eye easier. However it tends to distort the picture, and the colors burn way too hot, meaning you aren't seeing things as you should. This can espeically play havoc with subtle flesh tones and makes most blacks look a little grey.

Getting a good ISF certified technician to come over and calibrate your set for the viewing enviornment can pay major dividends with a new HDTV, whether you're a gamer or just all around videophile (like I am). It can be a little expensive (2-400 dollars depending on the tech and TV), but it is very much worth it, IMO, if you want the most out of your new TV. I didn't have mine calibrate till I had it home for a couple of months, but there was a dramatic difference to the picture quality (especially black levels) after having it done. It's a must if you plan on doing much movie watching to go along with your gaming.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Getting a good ISF certified technician to come over and calibrate your set for the viewing enviornment can pay major dividends with a new HDTV, whether you're a gamer or just all around videophile (like I am). It can be a little expensive (2-400 dollars depending on the tech and TV), but it is very much worth it, IMO, if you want the most out of your new TV. I didn't have mine calibrate till I had it home for a couple of months, but there was a dramatic difference to the picture quality (especially black levels) after having it done. It's a must if you plan on doing much movie watching to go along with your gaming.

Eh, that's generally not really too important. You can run test patterns from your computer and calibrate it pretty well on your own; $400 to have somebody come over and fuck around with your TV settings is a bit much.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

Eh, that's generally not really too important. You can run test patterns from your computer and calibrate it pretty well on your own; $400 to have somebody come over and fuck around with your TV settings is a bit much.

I more or less had to, as my TV had some major geometry and overscan problems as well, which became apparent when I began doing some gaming on it. I wasn't about to mess with the technician's menus on a $2000+ TV.

Luckily the guy I had come out was covered by my warranty with Mitsubishi, so I only had to pay about 50 bucks to have it done (basically that was just to have him come out, the actual calibration was free, because of the severity of the problem out of the box.).

But you're right, for simple color and contrast adjustments, some basic test patterns or something like AVIA would work. Although black levels are a bit trickier, and normally require some fiddling with the programmers menus.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I bought a 52" Mitsubishi early this year. Since its not so much a "name brand" it was definitely cheaper and when comparing TVs with my eyes, had the better picture. Haven't been disappointed since i bought it. I have a Wii, HD-DVD player and get a bunch of HD channels and they all look fantastic. Now tho, you can get the 57" model for what I payed for my 52" (and I got about $200 off from CC price matching).

Only one bad (could be good) thing about the TV. The glass is broke thanks to the magical spin my wife put on her bolling ball. Good, because if it was LCD/Plasma the fucker wouldn't even turn on (its really not that bad tho).

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2007
    I would like to point out that the size of the screen is only indirectly related to what resolution you'll be able to appreciate. The whole "don't ever get a 1080p set unless it's at least 50 inches!" thing is bullshit. What matters is how much of your field of view the screen takes up. If you have a small room, 1080p can make a huge difference on a 37" set. If you stick your TV in a cavernous room, it might not be a noticeable improvement on a 70" screen.

Look at the sets in person, stand as far away as you expect to sit, and see for yourself.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Contrast ratio is a bullshit number, don't pay any attention to it. You shouldn't have to worry about response times either, as the majority of HDTVs these days are quick enough (8ms or better) for gaming. Also, if it can save you some cash, don't worry about 1080p either. Pro-scan is nice and everything, but if it will save you a hundred bucks or more it isn't worth it. If you really want to save money, there's nothing wrong with getting a 720p native set, they still look fucking fantastic and they do handle 1080i sources and display them excellently. I personally just got my first HDTV, a 32" Westinghouse LCD HDTV and it is 720p native. The image is damn near life like.

Here's a tip for you on brands: Samsung makes great LCD HDTVs, but Emersons are cheaper and they get their LCD panels from Samsung. I very nearly bought an Emerson, but Wal-Mart jacked up the price at the last moment and I went with a comparable Westinghouse that was on sale at Best Buy.

If you don't mind standing in lines in the wee hours of the morning you might want to hit up some black friday deals.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg