Options

Phoenix (no, not the lawyer) [WIP]

LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Artist's Corner
phoenix.jpg

Ok, I recently found this picture that I had drawn several years ago and I think it has potential. What I'm looking for is what needs improvement the way it is, maybe I should change the pose? I might even just start over and keep the general idea. But until I get to that I'd like to get some criticisms about what I've got now. As for where its going? I need a background, I haven't thought about that too much. Maybe a nice sunset or something? I know the ashes don't look so great, I might need to just go GIS ashes and do some sketches or something. The actual phoenix looks alright to me, but I'm not exactly an avian expert. I think I was trying to make him look young but growing, like, I know newborn birds don't have fully grown feathers and I think I was trying to show like a rapid growth. Maybe some suggestions on how to depict that better.

(The scan isn't so great and I'll try to get it rescanned once I get the original from my house.)

Lardalish on

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2007
    no comments, other than your scan is pretty much illegible, so I darkened it up so we can at least see what is going on

phoneix_darker.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Study some photographs of wings...and birds, in general. Make notes if you have to, or quick sketches. I would say if it's been while since you've done this, it would be beneficial to start out fresh, the right way.

Basically, all I have to say at this point is it might help you to do a few quick thumbnails for composition, and research the animal you're trying to draw, so that you can learn more about the anatomy of the creature.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i didn't realize those were ashes, when i first saw it, i thought it was fish eating the bird.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What nightdragon said.

You're going to need photoreferences for this if you want it to work at all. Right now the sketch you have really looks too flawed to continue with, and you'd benefit far more by starting over.

Also, you have to keep in mind what you want your background and lighting to look like now. Before you start doing any detail on the bird, first figure out how the overall picture is going to look with a rough sketch.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    i didn't realize those were ashes, when i first saw it, i thought it was fish eating the bird.

Whiiiiich is why I need to work on them. Yeah that thing in the bottom is supposed to be the old skull.

Ok, so research birds, Ill get on that, Ill probly try to get some stuff drawn and scanned in and see if you guys will have any suggestions.

Rolo wrote: »
    What nightdragon said.

You're going to need photoreferences for this if you want it to work at all. Right now the sketch you have really looks too flawed to continue with, and you'd benefit far more by starting over.

Also, you have to keep in mind what you want your background and lighting to look like now. Before you start doing any detail on the bird, first figure out how the overall picture is going to look with a rough sketch.

Ok, maybe Ill get some rough stick figureish sketches up soon for ideas.

Ok, so Im looking for some nice high res shots of birds in flight so I can work on drawing wings. Im not having much luck with it, anyone have any suggestions?

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    google images

stock images

and they don't have to be very high res

and you can edit your posts rather than posting three times.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    google images

stock images

and they don't have to be very high res

and you can edit your posts rather than posting three times.

Good point, fixed up thread in accordance.

I did use google and I did some stuff, was just lookin for some better detail, oh well, guess its not too important.

Anyway, did a few quick sketches:

Image0001.jpg

I think I did pretty good on the head. Need to do a full bird on the next round.

References:
    Birdli161.jpg
    Birds_In_Flight_no_color_adjust.jpg
    CloudLooking.JPG
    eagle.c09.11.2004.JZ3F4717.b-700.jpg

Ill do some more tomorrow.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Good jorb! You're on the right track. :)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Good jorb! You're on the right track. :)

Yeah, don't be afraid to practice for a bit before tackling your actual work again. It can improve your finished piece in the end.

ps - Godzilla!!!

NibCrom on