As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deleted

Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
-

Andrew_Jay on

• Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    My best friend still isn't in the clear in terms of not having to be redeployed even though he left the army two years ago. This is the main veteran related topic on my mind.

Shinto on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Happy Armistice Day!

My grandpa was a Seabee in the pacific for WWII, and my uncle got drafted into 'nam and served as a medic.

moniker on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    My grandfather served in Korea and Vietnam (retired as a Marine after 20 years). My uncle did god-knows-how-many random deployments with the Special Forces, as well as retiring after 25 years in the Army (he also deployed to Iraq towards the end). Three of my wife's relatives (at the grandfather+ level) served in the armed forces, one died in service. I'm hazy on the details. Her mother's first husband died in an accident in the Air Force. Her father served an enlistment in the Air Force. I served in the Army, and have since been in the Army National Guard (including a deployment to northern Iraq).

Veteran's Day is kind of a big holiday around here.

EDIT: And yes, Shinto, I too am concerned with the current ass-pounding of our troops in support of a "war" with hazy goals, hazy planning, and where the actual benefits to the freedom and security of this country are...you guessed it...hazy.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    My great grandfather on my mom's side got in both WWI and WWII.

My dad got a lawyer.

My family's take on war has generally been this, and in my immediate family, certainly this: You fight for your land and your freedom. You don't fight for politicians and governments and corporations.

I have some respect for those who went to the World Wars, where there was a true and significant threat, even though much of it was making up for the stupidity of various governments.

To those of the later wars, I have mostly pity, that they were treated like pit bulls, while their masters sat comfortably at home making money and whoopie with all the women left behind.

Veteran's Day has always struck me as a day for mourning human stupidity, malice, and greed, and for the innocence lost to it.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I have military in my family but I never really knew them on account of distance and/or them dying when I was extremely young. All I know is that one grandfather served in the boiler room of naval ships, which is the worst place to be, because it's the first place to sink. By the time it all got filtered down to me, though, it was extremely anti-military on account of the 1960s.

I still respect and honor everyone brave enough to serve for my country.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Veteran's Day has always struck me as a day for mourning human stupidity, malice, and greed, and for the innocence lost to it.

That is why I celebrate Armistice Day. Remembering the return of peace to shattered lands and broken lives.

moniker on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    Long story short:

My dad owns a WW2 halftrack.
    Two veterans (Canadian) that served in one during the war went for a ride in it and I taped them telling old war stories and stuff.

Link: http://iseenothing.com/files/halftrack_02.avi
    40 minutes or so, DivX

And for fun: http://iseenothing.com/files/halftrack_01.avi

bombardier on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:

Definetly. This is why they say "never forget".

My Canadian grandpa served in the military in WWII, he was a doctor. He served in Scotland, and later Holland, in charge of a hygiene unit. I know him and his men uncovered several concentration camps. He doesn't talk much about what he saw.

My Finnish grandpa fought against the Russians in WWII. He got shot in the hand, and in the head, but luckily his helmet stopped the bullet or I would not be here writing this right now.

One of my uncles serves in the Finnish military right now. He has done peacekeeping with the UN, I know he was in Golan Heights in Israel for a while.

I dont have any relatives in the Canadian military right now. But I definetly feel for our troops (both Canadian and our allies) in Afghanistan right now.

The other day I saw a documentary about Paschendale. There is no better example of the madness of war.
    I cranked Iron Maiden's song called "Paschendale" after that. My own little way of remembering it.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah. I have two uncles who were in the Gulf War.

They swiftly left the army afterwards.

When they tell stories, they whisper.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    My Great uncle was in WWII. He fought for Canada as a forward Artillery Spotter in North Africa, Italy, and Denmark I believe. He never, ever, talked about it.

He was a cool old guy. I have the brass casing from an artillery shell he gave me sitting on my desk, holding my pens. He gave me a British combat dagger he had as well. I dont think it was ever used. As I recall, the only time he was wounded during the war was hurting his foot in a pub while he was on leave.

A second great uncle of mine apparantly flew some sort of Torpedo bomber over the channel. He died in a plane crash after the war, in an unfortunate bit of irony after surviving WWII. He was on his way to renlist for Korea as I recall. We came across his hand written notes on dog-fighting from pilot training in our basement a while back. [/url]

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    I was wondering why I sort-of-but-not-really had a four day weekend this week.

Imagine that...

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    My Grandfather was in WWII, but never saw any combat. He was on ship with the Coast Guard, and I forget the details of where he was (I think it was near Hawaii). When Saving Private Ryan came out, and stories of veterans having "relapses" broke, we made fun of him and said he'd have memories of being bored on a boat. Sadly, he died in 2003, so I'd have to get specifics from my Grandmother or mom.

As for my father's side of the family, my Great Uncle actually saw combat. As a matter of fact, he was killed in action. We never really talked about it much, and since his sister, my Grandmother, (again, on my dad's side) also died in 2003 (that was a fun summer), I'd have to see what my dad knows about it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    My grandfather on my dad's side drove a tank in Normandy and my grandfather on my mum's side was navigator in a bomber crewe in Egypt.

The only one who really talked about it was my mum's dad. That was mainly when they went on family holidays and he refused to step foot on the beach on the basis that "I saw enough bloody sand in Egypt to last me a life-time!"

Gorak on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    gramps was a pilot of... I think a bomber, i know it had a larger crew than a fighter plane.

they were shot down over ET, and taken as POWs to Stalag Luft III (well those that survived the whole going down thing...)

He then was one of the pump guys on the air contraption they made to help the guys digging in the tunnel as part of The Great Escape.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Deusfaux wrote:
    He then was one of the pump guys on the air contraption they made to help the guys digging in the tunnel as part of The Great Escape.

That has got to be the best anecdote ever.

Gorak on
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Deusfaux wrote:
    gramps was a pilot of... I think a bomber, i know it had a larger crew than a fighter plane.

Maybe a Lancaster?

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I always listen to this mp3 on remembrance day.

One grandpa was killed in WW2 and one refused to talk about it and has since passed away.

http://dailylinuxuser.com/winterborn.mp3
    http://dailylinuxuser.com/winterborntech.mp3

Aridhol on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bill Surgi, my great(great?) uncle was a navy pilot serving on the USS Yorktown (CV-5) at the battle of Midway. Unfortunately I've never met him. Oh wait. Apparently I never got to meet him. Damn.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I have an uncle that died in WWII.

as a nazi

Hoz on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    My grandfather served as a corpsman and grandmother was a WAVE during WWII. One of my uncles is currently in the Airforce tracking stuff with satellites and one of my brothers is Green Beret and just got back from training Iraqi soldiers. He's getting ready to go to Asia to do... something. He couldn't say other than it had to do with security forces in around Japan.

I doubt I joined for the same reasons they did but I'm glad I did now.

Quid on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Deusfaux wrote:

Maybe a Lancaster?

i should find out.... i think they had at least 5 crew, and he's canadian so...

also yeah he's been on tv and stuff to talk about the Great Escape. the air pump was made out of milk cans and the brand was KLIM (milk backwards?)

he has all the stories that pretty much correlate with the movie. he's also very lucky he wasnt picked to be one of the first escapees... cuz we all know what happened to them :(

Deusfaux on