Options

Questions about those who run/work for R&D focused companies

SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
So I've been back in school for a little over a year now, and I really, really have a passion for bionics/cybernetics. Artificial limbs and organs are the shit as far as I'm concerned, and it feels like there aren't nearly enough people or companies/corporations out there investing in prosthetics R&D (Otherwise we'd all be grim faced cyberpunks in trenchcoats right now brooding in corners about how we didn't ask for this).

Hyperbole and silliness aside, my ultimate goal post-graduation would be to assemble my own R&D company (or at least a company that produces a prosthetic-related product and funnels profit into further R&D) But I'm having difficulty finding any information on people who have done this, are doing this, or plan to do this.

I'm hoping someone here might be able to chime in or better yet, point me to any sources of information regarding running a research-focused company in both the engineering AND medical fields. It doesn't even specifically have anything to do with prosthetics/cybernetics development, just starting, running, or working in an R&D focused company in general is what I'm after. I've been searching and googling on and off for the past... as long as I can remember now, and I can't really find what I'm looking for.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    My vague notion is that research is done via government funding, universities, or long-term product development wings of large companies that already sell an existing product. Starting a new company up generally requires an existing product you intend to sell in a short time, or why would somebody invest?

Joining an established firm as a rank and file employee might be be your best bet.

If you're independently wealthy, that changes things, but otherwise it's a tough ask. I don't think there are many ways to do for-profit research with somebody else's money.

sig.gif
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    My vague notion is that research is done via government funding, universities, or long-term product development wings of large companies that already sell an existing product. Starting a new company up generally requires an existing product you intend to sell in a short time, or why would somebody invest?

No no no. It requires a Proof of concept. Something that demonstrates that the principles behind your product are viable.
    If you have proof of concept you can find and negotiate with potential investors and then agree on size of investment, development schedule etc.
    That's what an R&D company is, a larger entity aimed not at producing something, but taking a piece of technology from the proof of concept stage and turning it into a sellable product.
    That sellable product can then either be sold or you can once again search for investors interested in starting up a production company. This second round of investment is relatively uncommon due to entrenched markets and the power of branding.

Outside the entertainment business it's incredibly rare to have a finished product before you're looking for investors. Development costs are simply way too high for any one person.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    Interesting, so you could, with the right people, sort be "Mercenary Researchers"? Perform R&D on a concept they propose as a 3rd party consultant/development firm. Then use those funds for personal projects?

• Options
    Not as a researcher, no. Until you have a proof of concept you can't patent it, so companies are notoriously shy about bringing in third parties before the patent is secure.
    Consultants are mostly brought in for their expertise as developers once the proof of concept is done.

There are companies whose express purpose is to assist with constructing technology demonstrators or concept research, but those are:

a. Almost 100% associated with universities or Science Parks (and hardly "mercenary". Trust is as important as expertise).
    b. Aimed at smaller companies/individuals/projects that don't have their own R&D departments.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Realistically, you need to either be really good at grant writing or really good at selling your concept to VC firms. Both will be very hard without a proven track record in the field and contacts.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Just a random side note, but medical device engineering is in a major slump at the moment due to the medical device shenanigans in the ACA and the fact that no one can convince Congress to try to improve it.

It's not directly relevant to your targeted point; but tangentially it's a field in a slump right now which has less R&D being done since the profits are significantly diminished. No one is sure when that's going to improve.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

No no no. It requires a Proof of concept. Something that demonstrates that the principles behind your product are viable.
    If you have proof of concept you can find and negotiate with potential investors and then agree on size of investment, development schedule etc.
    That's what an R&D company is, a larger entity aimed not at producing something, but taking a piece of technology from the proof of concept stage and turning it into a sellable product.
    That sellable product can then either be sold or you can once again search for investors interested in starting up a production company. This second round of investment is relatively uncommon due to entrenched markets and the power of branding.

Outside the entertainment business it's incredibly rare to have a finished product before you're looking for investors. Development costs are simply way too high for any one person.
    I think you're confusing silicon valley with biomedical engineering R&D.
    You most certainly require a prototype and a pipeline for biotech. No one invests in biomedical ideas.

• Options

I think you're confusing silicon valley with biomedical engineering R&D.
    You most certainly require a prototype and a pipeline for biotech. No one invests in biomedical ideas.

A prototype is VERY different from a "finished product". Yes. For biotech you need a working technology demonstrator, but that's WAY different from a finished product.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I work for the market leader in prosthetics / artificial limbs. If you wanted to do R&D with us, you could attempt to join one of the dev teams when you graduate...

You might also check out the british company Open Bionics and see if you can learn how they got started.