Options

A curvy spine is the Devil's rollercoaster.

ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
OK, so over this summer break, I'm going to start going to the gym three times a week. Aside from putting on a bit of weight, I'd also like to fix up my posture. It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be, but I still have a slight hunch. What are some exercises that focus on core body strength that I can do alongside the gym/cardio work to get my spine into line?

Zsetrek on

• Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zsetrek wrote:
    OK, so over this summer break, I'm going to start going to the gym three times a week. Aside from putting on a bit of weight, I'd also like to fix up my posture. It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be, but I still have a slight hunch. What are some exercises that focus on core body strength that I can do alongside the gym/cardio work to get my spine into line?

I was a vocal major, and without special exercises, I straightened up big time. It's all discipline. Simply remind yourself every time you get up to walk, "I will walk straight." As silly as it sounds, practice walking in front of a mirror. You've learned wrong and need to break the habit. Your muscles will hurt for a while because the wrong ones have been doing all of the carrying, but you will adjust. (It helps to have friends remind you.)

Oh and one more thing: for me it helped to remind myself to slow down when I walked.

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    another thing you can try about posture, although it might look a tad odd, is that you can keep one hand behind your back pressed up against your back as though you were some sort of snooty waiter. This will really help you keep your back straight.

As far as exercises, lower back exercises are probably what you want to work into your routine. There shuold be something at your gym where you can sit stomach down on at a diagonal angle that looks like this http://www.builtintheusa.com/fitness-pics/legend_free-weight-hyperextension_3127m.jpg
    and use it to work out your back by bending forward and then bending back up and then down again. etc.

shit, its really hard to explain this shit in words...

aesir on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    aesir wrote:
    shit, its really hard to explain this shit in words...

No, that's cool - I've used them before.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    BeautifulJoeBeautifulJoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Strengthening your stomach can also help out alot with back posture issues. Alot of people hunch because they have weak stomachs, and have difficulty holding good posture. As well the ladies like a nice strong stomach so there is always a bonus. :)

... oh yeah there are bagillions of stomach strengthening workouts and what not find which one is best for you and ofcourse make sure you execute it correctly. Sometimes its all about technique :)

BeautifulJoe on
  • Options
    stixs4321stixs4321 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Gluteal bridges, side bridges, prone bridges, wall slides, scapular push-ups, lunges(keeping very erect throughout) and push-ups(keeping tight throughout).

I reccomend you purchase a resistance band and use it to workout your posture in the mean time along with all the other exercises I mention.

A Simple exercises you can do are band pull-aparts. Hold the exercise band at shoulder height with your arms straight out or slight bend at the elbows and pull the band apart to the sides using your upper back. You'll want to do these in front of a mirror as to watch your posture throughout, ie: keep your chest out, shoulders back and down with abs tight. When you get to the end of the movement you'll want to hold it for 3 second and you'll feel it in the upper back. On returning to the start position you'll want to keep tension in the upper back and return slowly as to not just deactivate your back and use your chest to pull it back.

Another exercise is keeping your palms facing up and elbows by your sides(not to move from here) and pull the band apart. Again keep perfect posture from start to finish and do it in front of a mirror.

If your working out with weights rows and lots of rowing. Cable rows are very good for posture. Make sure you work your back twice as much as your chest and focus on using the lower traps to pull instead of your upper traps. Of course follow my other advice still because just rowing won't give you perfect posture.

www.t-nation.com - You'll find the exercises I mention there

stixs4321 on
  • Options
    HallucinogenHallucinogen Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Strengthening your stomach can also help out alot with back posture issues. Alot of people hunch because they have weak stomachs, and have difficulty holding good posture.

While this is true, try not to overdo it either. I used to overwork my abdominal muscles in comparison to my lower back which resulted in my stomach overpowering my back and ended up developing poor posture. Took me quite a while to correct it and rebalance my workout.

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stixs4321stixs4321 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Strengthening your stomach can also help out alot with back posture issues. Alot of people hunch because they have weak stomachs, and have difficulty holding good posture.

While this is true, try not to overdo it either. I used to overwork my abdominal muscles in comparison to my lower back which resulted in my stomach overpowering my back and ended up developing poor posture. Took me quite a while to correct it and rebalance my workout.
    It could've also been you threw off the balance of the upper and lower abs.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=990092&pageNo=0
    Another thing good for posture. Also don't worry about overworking your abdominals. It'll only happen if you do lots of crunches but sticking with the static holds and lower ab work you can do it as often and as much as you want. Of course give time for recovery.

stixs4321 on
  • Options
    drdestinydrdestiny Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    keep something fairly flat and rigid on our head (not too flat or rigid tho, otherwise itll be too frustrating) and put it on the top of your head while standing up. Then when your indoors, just keep it on your head while walking. Keep it on, and eventually, youll have perfect posture

drdestiny on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    leftrightleftright Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    back is the most important thing to work on in the gym. Back injuries tend to be serious and can really screw up posture and all that fun stuff. Pullups and Rows.

leftright on