As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ghosts Of The Great Highway [nsfw]

GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Artist's Corner
some highlights from my old sketchbook, and some shit from my new one. Mixture of life stuff and imagination, shouldnt be hard to tell what's what. Been working on styling up my figure work a bit.

1-2.gif
2-2.gif
3-1.gif

4-2.gif
5-2.gif
6-1.gif
7.gif
8.gif
9.gif
10.gif

comments? questions? hate? love? sandwich?

Greatnation on

• Options
    EpiEpi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The second one is way too scratchy for my taste.

I do really like the ones done in blue (i.e. the deer and the figure models a little further down)

The face on the last one is all kinds of horrifying with the over sized mouth and eyes and smudge for a nose

Epi on
  • Options
    Red_ArremerRed_Arremer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Epi wrote: »
    The second one is way too scratchy for my taste.

I do really like the ones done in blue (i.e. the deer and the figure models a little further down)

The face on the last one is all kinds of horrifying with the over sized mouth and eyes and smudge for a nose

I think the last one is supposed to be a bit stylized, but even then there's some stuff wrong with it. The things that stand out most to me in it is the girl's nose, and that her boobs are polygonal and they have giant eyes for nipples/aureolas.

Red_Arremer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    yeah, i've gotta slow down a bit and make sure i check my shit.

thanks for the comments folks, sorry if i horrified you. Gunna try to get some finished stuff up here soon.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    its not bad, but they do seem a bit rough and unfinished - but granted, they do come from a sketch book. Also, it seems like on a few of them your trying to draw realistic characters but with a tiny splash of anime, in particular with the large eyes. While I think it work outs fine on most of them, that face portrait you have makes it seem like that girl is cranked on something I would like to try. Anyways, I like your varied poses

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow, pretty sweet sketches. Some would look better a little more completed, but they're just sketches. Do you have any further pencilied works?

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • Options
    KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    You and I, we draw weirdly alike...

Killjoy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    yeah, that portrait is wack. I saw this girl in a Harvard square who was carrying around a little pug, so I tried to draw her like her pug- with a big gap in between the eyes and an overall dumb aimless look.

I have more rendered out stuff that I can show, most of it is pretty boring and academic. Ill try to scan some of my bigger stuff this week.

Killjoy- how do you mean? you should start a thread or something, i dont think i've seen your stuff

Greatnation on
  • Options
    freeman till im caughtfreeman till im caught Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey greatnation i think your sketch work is really strong and has some nice character, i partiularly like the real sratchly and loose portrait of the girl playing with her hands, for something so seemingly quick you still manage to get the structure of the girl and flow of the figure across. I diagree with you needing to spend more time or pay more attention to refining these drawings, i prefer loose sketches that are rough but expressive, otherwise sketches end up being quasi-finished works which are neither polished like final works or as animated as sketches(one of my lame theories) The sketches of the girls, in blue pencil, are really good too.

freeman till im caught on
    Let's Digress now Kings Put your Cans up, Paint the city scope with the Prettiest type of Cancer
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2007
    The second loose sketch is great. For being 'scratchy' it doesn't really have that many lines, very neat.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    thanks dudes. i too beleive that there is a lot of power in the quick sketch, forces us to think about everything at once.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i like your style and i don't mind the scratchiness

i think it's all neat.

god i've become flaky.
    but i can't really explain what i'm thinking right now, i've got a head cold and am all congested. i think i'm trying to say something really flaky and artsy about how it still looks good to me regardless of scratchiness and maybe even because of the scratchiness?

fuck i don't know, i need to go eat some corn flakes and pick of these flakey flakes of skin
    good work, greatnation

beavotron on