As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Antiquity

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Antiquity

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    identeregareidenteregare Registered User regular
    It's really weird; not having seen Frank in such a long while, I actually feel kinda sorry for him. Because Tycho and Gabe (the comic characters) are awful people.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Frank did not even ask for Gabe's pants. How the mighty have fallen.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I think this is the first time the lads have had the upper hand over Frank.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Has Frank appeared since this one in 2010?

1102506702_i5kQf-2100x20000.jpg

that's a long time to not go into a vidya "store"

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    I would have thought Frank would have been much happier and better off without them in his life :)

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Has Frank appeared since this one in 2010?

that's a long time to not go into a vidya "store"
    Possibly, I'm pretty sure the Archive indexing isn't up to date. That said, I can't think of any other Frank appearances.

• Options
    zaitcevzaitcev Registered User regular
    Tycho and Gabe were around so long that the stores could be run by veterans of Desert Storm now.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    How the mighty have fallen.

215132230_FqAEi-2100x20000.jpg

(That's right, folks, just a little over 15 years ago.)

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    ...holy shit, that makes me feel old.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Hah! I forgot about Kevin. Bring back Kevin!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Hah! I forgot about Kevin. Bring back Kevin!

That's Keazy to you. And you can always catch him down at the Cinnabon, yo.

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • Options
    benfinkelbenfinkel Registered User regular
    Neat Annihilation reference in the text. I'm half way through Authority now it's pretty good stuff.

In the black water with the sun shining at midnight, those fruit shall come ripe and in the darkness of that which is golden shall split open to reveal the revelation of the fatal softness in the earth.

-Ben
  • Options
    faithful.dushnessfaithful.dushness Registered User new member
    Surface Pro product placement?

The Dush
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Gabe actually uses a Surface that Microsoft sent him if that's what you mean.

They fail to mention a lot of other free stuff they receive, so its more of roulette if you are trying to buy ad space that way.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    So, I want to comment about something Jerry talked about in the newspost, but I am aware that this will be a bit rambling, and coming from the accumulated cruft of many, many half-remembered articles about the game industry. So please correct me if any of this is glaringly wrong...

Is it really surprising to anyone at this point that having the best numbers for a piece of hardware doesn't really matter? Nintendo slaughtered the competition for the handheld space every generation until Sony's PSP, and even that lost badly to Nintendo's opposition. Granted the PSP managed to be a big moneymaker for Sony in spite of that, and it was the first competition to a Nintendo handheld that did not get outsold by an order of magnitude, IIRC. But then look at what a lukewarm reception the Vita has had. PC games have known this since at least Warcraft III and WoW, both of which took a less-is-more approach to their graphics, meaning some of the hottest games in their respective generations didn't need cutting edge hardware.

And home consoles? I genuinely believe a big part of the problem Sony has had trying to reclaim the monodominant position they held during the 5th & 6th generations is because of their fixation with trying to have the best hardware. The PS1 was not all that special when it came out, it was just marginally better than the Saturn, and stronger than the N64 where it counted. The PS2 was better than the Dreamcast, but lesser than the Xbox, and competitive with the Gamecube (which had an extra year's R&D for Nintendo to play catch up). The PS2 seemed like amazing hardware because it was easy to develop for and it's market-share was so vast that practically everyone in the business was making games for it and pushing the boundaries of what it could do from the software side.

But somewhere along the lines Sony got a bug up their ass about having the best hardware out there and we wound up with the PS3. It was so expensive initially that you could get both competitors' platforms for the same price, which made it a tough sell to many consumers. And it didn't help that the PS3's library was nowhere near as competitively strong as previous Sony consoles boasted because it's custom architecture was a real obstacle both for development and for porting titles from other platforms. They walked things back from the ledge with the PS4's very PC-like architecture, but they were still trying to chase top hardware performance when it came out, and their success this generation seems to be more due to the Xbone & Wii-U's miss-steps.

From where I'm sitting, if Sony's approaching VR with a pragmatism-over-performance approach, it's a step back in the right direction for them and a sign that the killers behind the PS1 & 2 might finally be making a comeback.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    From where I'm sitting, if Sony's approaching VR with a pragmatism-over-performance approach, it's a step back in the right direction for them and a sign that the killers behind the PS1 & 2 might finally be making a comeback.
    John Carmak is thinking along similar lines as you. Although his point is that mobile is going to be primarily where VR really is experienced as most of the world doesn't have PCs or consoles.

• Options
    LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    I've pretty much NEVER bought a "top of the line system" at launch... or if I did, I did because of a particular "exclusive" game they had I was interested in. I really hate the pissing contests between hardware specs, etc. I don't have a top of the line sound system, or 3DTV or any other ridiculous thing that might exist out there. I am NOT Gabe & Tycho or some Internet Game Reviewing star, I will ALWAYS have a bottleneck somewhere, so all the bells and whistles in the world won't add up to shit, all I need is a good game or controller/interface that I can't get anywhere else.

• Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    I been with Playstation since it was only known as PSX. If I could afford it, I would get the vr thing for my ps4. Though I would get it from an actual store. Most of my purchases are from my favorite gamestop or bestbuy. The gamestops in va beach actually handled very well.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    poipoigirl wrote: »
    my favorite gamestop or bestbuy
    This is such a surreal statement to read.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    poipoigirl wrote: »
    my favorite gamestop or bestbuy
    This is such a surreal statement to read.

Why? a lot of them aren't that bad. Especially if you're a regular, or it's a gamestop that bought out the FLGS and they largely kept it the same except for the branding.

Sure, it's no faceless Amazon with a passive discount on purchases and delivery to the location of my choosing... but eh, some people like that human touch.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    John Carmak is thinking along similar lines as you. Although his point is that mobile is going to be primarily where VR really is experienced as most of the world doesn't have PCs or consoles.

And I would be inclined to agree with him. Sadly, I also think Nintendo's days making handhelds are numbered. I say sadly, because smartphones input methods limit game design in ways that a dedicated console doesn't have to worry about. But most people aren't going to care about that, and will prefer the convenience and savings of gaming on their phone (or more specifically, gaming for their child's smartphone) to shelling out $100 or more just for the hardware. I think home consoles will hang around, though.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    frank has been around but not for a while. last time he showed up that I remember was the zombie fight at the mall with tycho's niece and her ex boyfriend both there as well as johnny I think his name is?

shadowysea07 on