As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

get a 360 or fix PC???

MaharbaMaharba Registered User regular
Alright, so as these last few hours go by before the sales start at midnight, i want to know weather it would be better to buy a 360 or fix my gaming rig. My PC's hdd and psu died earlier this year, and i haven't done much about it. I got a new psu but never got a hdd.

My rig was a bit old, it had the following:

- Abit KD7A mobo
- Saphire radeon 9600
- AMD athlon xp 2500+
- 512 MB ram
- Creative sound blaster 5.1 audio
- Scythe Kamariki 450w psu (the new one i bought)

I was going to get a new 160 or 200 gb hdd and 1 gig of ram on newegg to get it running again. Is it worth it to get this up and running again, or would it not be able to handle the new games i want to play anyways.

I'm going to be going to college next year so i figure i'll probably end up buying a laptop to just do my work and browse the internet. Then i'd just get a 360 to get my gaming fix.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

Notes -

- PC doesn't work
- Fix it or get 360
- limited money
- help?

Maharba on

• Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Depends on what kind of games you like to play.

devoir on
  • Options
    MaharbaMaharba Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That's one of the problems too, there's games that i want to play that are only on one of the platforms, but for pc i think most of them won't work. Like CoD4, Crysis, WAR whenever that comes out, Spore if that ever comes out, Orange box, etc.

Maharba on
  • Options
    tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If I were you I'd get both.

You can get harddrives and ram for mad cheap on newegg.

Seems like you like fps, so I'd definetly reccomend saving up and eventually getting a new desktop pc. Get yourself a new motherboard, core 2 duo CPU, 8800 GT, vista premium, 22" widescreen lcd monitor, 2.1 THX speakers, a nice desk, a leather chair and you will be SET. It will be the best computer experience you've ever had by a long shot.

tracertong on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    tracertong wrote: »
    If I were you I'd get both.

You can get harddrives and ram for mad cheap on newegg.

Seems like you like fps, so I'd definetly reccomend saving up and eventually getting a new desktop pc. Get yourself a new motherboard, core 2 duo CPU, 8800 GT, vista premium, 22" widescreen lcd monitor, 2.1 THX speakers, a nice desk, a leather chair and you will be SET. It will be the best computer experience you've ever had by a long shot.

Did you see the bit where he doesn't have a lot of money and he's already going to get a laptop for studying?

You're looking at what, some $4000 for the desktop setup you're describing, plus the laptop.

I'd get the 360. I'm sick and tired of PC gaming and the neverending upgrade cycle and all the pissing about with drivers, etc. I love my 360, the games cover all the areas I like to game in and more, and I muck about with various older PC games on my laptop.

devoir on
  • Options
    tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    4000? I got a glass desk off craigslist for $20, a leather chair for $10. From amazon the monitor was 220, the speakers 120.

you can do the math for the rest. Did you not see the bold? Save up for that shit, its not THAT expensive. Im just saying that if you're interested in crysis and fps in general you can get an absolutely amazing rig for $1000.

tracertong on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You can get your existing PC back in working order for very cheap. Like, under $100 for both the HD and 1GB RAM. That gets you a fully functioning PC, for whatever games you already have and newer low-req games. Seems a waste to own the rest of that hardware and not use it at all. Also, your PC is upgradeable, which your future laptop will not be. Meaning you can come back as money allows and upgrade it into a contemporary gaming rig. (And not worry about spending a lot of money on a "gaming" laptop.)

That's what I would do first, on your limited budget. Because buying a 360 isn't cheap. You're looking at at least $300 even for the Arcade (after taxes, maybe shipping, and a game or two). But if you do get a 360, at least many of the good games for it are now available cheaply used.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.