As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Holy Socks, Batman!

tuscloud311tuscloud311 Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So i have 2 different "types" of socks. One is my casual, typical white cotton socks, and the other is my colored (racist!) socks for work.

The problem lies in the work socks. I seem to be putting holes in the toes of the socks of EVERY pair of socks i buy. I've tried different types, and it seems to happen roughly 2 weeks after i buy them.

Some maybe useful info:
- The socks fit. They arent too tight or too big
- I only wear them once before putting them in hamper for washing. i do laundry once a week
- I do not have this problem with my cotton white socks
- I tend to get callouses on my feet from my work shoes. But they are not in the location of the holes

Its pretty freaking frustrating walking around with your toe sticking out of your sock. And i dont have the money to be buying socks like its another bill. Any tips i could try to avoid this?

tuscloud311 on

• Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Do you have to have a specific type of sock for work? I too use two types of socks; white cotton socks very similar to yours, and black cotton socks which are identical aside from color. You might try that.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm guessing the holes are located at your toes? It sounds like they are cheap socks and maybe your toenails are pretty sharp.

Rubick on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    no, there isnt a specific type of black sock fabric to wear, but i normally go for the silkier type. Not really cotton-esque.

Mainly wondering if it would be my shoes that are causing it. Oh, and it was suggested to me to wear my cotton socks UNDER my work socks to give it more padding and strength. Good idea?

tuscloud311 on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Do you have work specific shoes?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    newp. but i did get them for free (birthday gift). They look pretty expensive though...

I went out and bought that Dr. Scholls thing for the inside...really didnt seem to help any.

tuscloud311 on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Look at the stitching of the sock, do they have a toe stitched onto them or are they all one piece? The way the sock is stitched causes different wear points and stress points in the fabric, maybe try a different brand next time. Have you tried buying different brands of socks?

Do the socks bunch up on you / or slip down your leg / ankle while wearing them prior to the holes getting worn in them? That can aggrevate things.

If your feet are getting callouses from the work shoes, they are either knockoff type shoes, or the wrong size.
    There are a couple different dimentions when buying dress shoes that all need to fit, if they dont then problems occur.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Look at the stitching of the sock, do they have a toe stitched onto them or are they all one piece? The way the sock is stitched causes different wear points and stress points in the fabric, maybe try a different brand next time.

It is all one peice, but the "end" stitch is right by the knuckles of the toes. Dont really think that is relevent information...also, the holes appear on the index and big toes. Rarely will they appear by the pinky toe (which is right nearest the callouses, ironically enough). You would think that the callous is caused by too much friction, thus causing the socks to have socks there huh? not the case =(
    Have you tried buying different brands of socks?

Yes. Lots of different ones. I dont think ive kept with one brand before...
    Do the socks bunch up on you / or slip down your leg / ankle while wearing them prior to the holes getting worn in them? That can aggrevate things.

Nope, for the most part they stay stationary. The same position they were in before i put my shoe on. Not much moving around really.
    If your feet are getting callouses from the work shoes, they are either knockoff type shoes, or the wrong size.
    There are a couple different dimentions when buying dress shoes that all need to fit, if they dont then problems occur.

Could be the problem. I didnt exactly get these shoes fitted to my dimensions. Like i said, they were a gift and ive had them for like 7-8 months now. Just decided to ask for help now because im literally running out of socks and was about to buy some more.

tuscloud311 on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Are you just pulling too hard to get your socks on? Do you pull or you roll it to the toes where you just slip them in and un-roll it on? Maybe you're putting too much stress on them putting them on.

What kind of work do you do? Could very well be the shoes.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    nah i pull them on. i dont roll them. to be honest, i dont really like the idea of my foot moving around inside my sock...feels weird as hell. But i've never tried it so, i'll give it a go.

I work in software test and development, but i also do all of the internal support for my software throughout my entire company...which means lots of walking to people's desks and labs. Most of the time, i find an excuse to get away from my desk...which obviously leads to more walking.

For the most part, my shoes feel comfortable (when im not walking). They dont feel very tight or anything though.

tuscloud311 on
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It might be your toenails. Every time I rip pantyhose, it's because I've put off clipping and filing my nails for, like, a couple days, and somehow that ridiculously small bit of grown-out nail shreds the hell out of my hosiery. Maybe if you clipped them as short as you can get them without getting ingrowns and file off the sharp edges?

Other suggestions: go up a sock size so they're looser around your toes, or get sturdier socks.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    nah i pull them on. i dont roll them. to be honest, i dont really like the idea of my foot moving around inside my sock...feels weird as hell. But i've never tried it so, i'll give it a go.

It's more of a scrunch. Scrunch them to the toe section and then getting the sock on should be really easy from there on. I had to move to this method as after a shower socks never seem to want to go on easy and I would end up ripping them in half.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    DekuStick wrote: »

It's more of a scrunch. Scrunch them to the toe section and then getting the sock on should be really easy from there on. I had to move to this method as after a shower socks never seem to want to go on easy and I would end up ripping them in half.

damn man, thats hardcore. Like a mini-Hulk.

Aight well i will make sure to give myself a pedicure more often and try to wear looser (is that a word?) socks and/or wear the socks i have now more loosely.

Thanks guys! thread over!

tuscloud311 on