As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting rid of my cat due to broke computer screen?

123cat123cat Registered User new member
Hi,

I would really like someone's opinion on the matter.

My 7 month old cat loves to jump (counter tops, window seal, table...). I got her when she was 3 months old.
Today, she jumped on my table nocking over my computer and breaking the screen.
It will cost around 500-600$ to fix. My worry is that it will happen again and I cant afford that financially.

Should I find my cat a new home?

thank you for you thoughts

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    If you are willing to ditch a living thing you have committed to for something this minor*, then yeah. Probably for the best that you find a loving and accomodating home for it.

Cats knock things over, accidentally and occasionally deliberately. It's usually a good idea to make sure your house is cat-prepared the same way you would a child. Having a monitor anchored or up against a wall is usually a good idea in general.

*Minor as in "oops, accidents happen man." It's certainly a lot of money, but 500-600 a year isn't uncommon in costs for a cat anyhow between proper vet and grooming maintenance and ensuring you are feeding them well.

Enc on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Kittens especially.

I'm not going to pass judgement, we all have varying levels of what kind of compromises we're willing to make with pets in our lives. I would say yes, pets like cats and dogs will break shit frequently.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Fixed.
    Enc wrote: »
    Cats knock things over, deliberately and occasionally accidentally.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Enc wrote: »
    If you are willing to ditch a living thing you have committed to for something this minor*, then yeah.

I'd like to see as little of this particular type of guilting as possible. Yes getting pets is a commitment, but sometimes people make mistakes and they aren't compatible with their needs. Making people feel like shit about it doesn't help what I'm sure is a difficult choice, and it's important to make the right call for the animal and the person.

If you dont have the cash laying about to deal with repairs, it might cause you more stress to have the cat than benefits. I suggest taking the time to try and find a good home rather than dumping them at the shelter, especially if there aren't any no-kill shelters around you.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Something like this is likely going to happen again, or the cat will get a stomach problem and there will be a vet bill or one of a hundred other things.

There's no shame if you're not ready to own a pet, and if you can't financially afford a second $500 accident then you can't afford a $500 vet bill.

Take the kitten to pet smart or pet co or any pet store that does animal adoptions. A lot of them have a specific enclosure for cats and will probably take your kitten and find it a home relatively quickly.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also, if you are going to do it, try not to wait too long. People start considering cats as "older" adoptions after just a year or so. The closer your guy is to being a kitten, the easier it will be to find him a new place.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Even six months.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    What the fuck monitor did you have that costs $600?

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Everyone has assumed it's a monitor where he has actually said his cat has knocked his computer over.

I think it was a laptop. Which makes more sense as to the repair cost as well as the urgency as it sounds like his entire computer is out of commission.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    When my dog was a puppy he pulled up and destroyed £1200 of kitchen flooring, chewed through 4 chair legs, 3 phone cords and many many other minor items in what is now known to me as the "year of trials". Young animals destroy stuff, especially until they are trained.

Edit: Why not...here he is as he was...like butter wouldnt melt but at the time....the god of destruction earthly avatar.

1914709_132238049755_2362401_n.jpg?oh=816ccd4667cd74452d905265c59fd371&oe=5968BDB6

Prime on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    What the fuck monitor did you have that costs $600?

https://www.monitornerds.com/best-g-sync-monitors-2016-2017-is-g-sync-worth-it/

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    My cat was running around and her tail caught on my mouse cord. Sent my laptop tumbling, fried the hard drive.

Bought a new hard drive, and changed up my setup so that cables, and the laptop itself, were not vulnerable to run-by damage.

I would suggest taking a look at your setup and seeing how you can fasten down the things you care about not taking a fall before looking at getting rid of the kitten.

If the question is "will this happen again?" the answer is "well, it will if you, now that you know the risks, keep your possessions in a position where it can happen".

Psykoma on
  • Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    This is why I don't have kids. At least I can squirt the cat.

But yeah, having a cat is having a member of the household who is also a partly feral carnivorous predator who will innately and constantly practice hunting skills in the confines of your home. Just like you need to put safety covers on your electrical outlets to keep your toddlers (those curious little monkeys!) from sticking their fingers in, which could trip an electrical circuit at a vital moment during a Dark Souls 3 boss battle, so too you need to cat-proof your home to some extent. The monitor thing sucks, but it could've been a glass vase, knick-knack, or some expensive doo-dad that you left on a table for your cat to incorporate into a gravity-check experiment.

Justice on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    Invest in a 60 dollar monitor arm/mount?

• Options
    Gemini ManGemini Man Registered User regular
    Yeah, ditch the cat. You can always get a new one down the road when you have accrued more expendable money.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Cats are relatively weak. Strong enough to knock loose items up to maybe a few kilograms around, but they can't really deal with things that are stuck. Fragile items can be secured. It's not going to swing a baseball-bat when pushing and tugging isn't enough.

• Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    I suspect the OP has either gotten rid of his cat already (hopefully rehomed) or has forgotten that he signed up on PA to post this thread.

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Cats wreck your shit. We have 2 homewreckers. Couch, chairs, carpets, random stuff, 1 pissed in a brand new handbag. If you get cats be prepared to toss things in the garbage on a regular basis.
    I have resigned myself to wait on my fur-shedding homewreckers for the rest of their natural livetime.
    Or you can try and stow away expensive stuff behind locked doors, or expect to have it wrecked in the most loving manner or you and the homewrecker go your separate ways.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Basar wrote: »
    I suspect the OP has either gotten rid of his cat already (hopefully rehomed) or has forgotten that he signed up on PA to post this thread.

I tend to agree.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.