As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Options

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Options

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    I prefer to beat them with their own weapons

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    "Hang on a second whilst I Magnesis this metal crate and bash you over the head with it..."

• Options
    desrdesr Registered User regular
    Oh, how I disdain the wepon system in Zelda!

It's so frustrating, especially lategame, to skip entire groups of enemies because you know they're not worth the weapons you're gonna break bashing on their heads...

• Options
    ZenigataZenigata Registered User regular
    I feel like I've found a dozen really nice weapons kinda early game since I probably went to that labyrinth island sooner than the game probably anticipated, so I keep switching to using my weakest weapons so as not to waste the really good ones on the weak enemies. But if I have arrows, they're getting headshots and a bomb tossed at them. There really are not enough arrows in the game even if you hit with every one, I'm constantly running really low on them...

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    desr wrote: »
    Oh, how I disdain the wepon system in Zelda!

It's so frustrating, especially lategame, to skip entire groups of enemies because you know they're not worth the weapons you're gonna break bashing on their heads...

In prior games I killed everything and I mean everything to see what loot was dropped. In BotW, I don't bother with enemies because whatever they drop and whatever they have in their treasure chests won't last long anyway. Open world enemies in this game are an inconvenience rather than an attraction. I think if they removed the enemies altogether and this was a shrine finding, land exploration, and puzzle solving game, I would probably have just as much fun.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    jpylusjpylus Registered User new member
    I like to approach enemy camps and see how I can kill most/all of the monsters without using a melee weapon.

Of course, sometimes its fun to start with a low-level weapon and then make your way through the camp picking up weapons from slain enemies as you go.

Someone mentioned earlier how they have trouble finding arrows. Make sure you take out archer enemies first and they often drop a 5x arrow bundle. Also, if enemies start shooting at you just run around collecting their arrows as they miss you.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Or sell some of your vast hoard of squidgy monster bits and just buy some arrows from the many vendors.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    bsctgodbsctgod Registered User regular
    Sooo relatable. Some weapons were meant only for Lynels, Talus and Hinox. Then again, even the very best, I am loath to use on them, they are just too valuable to waste! I ended up beating the game with an inventory full of magnificent weapons.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I like to hang onto some of my better weapons, shields, and bows back at a particular retrieval location.* Otherwise I have plenty of places marked on the map with stamps that I can go back to for good weapons and bows. Bringing down some of the overworld "bosses" tends to be a good way to get back some good weaponry if in a bind. Plus those fights are just good fun! I currently have some really good stuff from a handful of slain Lynel. Durability on items tends to get better as you go on too, at least from what I have seen.

*Don't want to say anymore for those who haven't gotten there yet.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    This is a pretty good sell for "just use the good weapons", really. One must break out of that Megalixir mindset.

• Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    Or sell some of your vast hoard of squidgy monster bits and just buy some arrows from the many vendors.

I was really frustrated with how I had no money and I had no idea how I'd ever afford to buy new armor. Oh you mean I can sell those fangs I have like 100 of for 8 rupees each? Oh I have lots of money now. Sweet

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I don't get why they never included an option to buy swords and weapons from the shops. It would have been handy to be able to stock up on decent weapons rather than relying on picking up stuff from dead moblins all the time.

• Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular

precise, curatorial lacerations

From the news post, I just love this phrase!
    Tycho sure has a way with words

404 not found
  • Options

I was really frustrated with how I had no money and I had no idea how I'd ever afford to buy new armor. Oh you mean I can sell those fangs I have like 100 of for 8 rupees each? Oh I have lots of money now. Sweet

Motherfuckin' amber and opal man!

Not to mention all the other precious gems you can acquire.

• Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »

Oh I thought you needed those to craft stuff. I guess I'll need to sell those. I sold the sapphire I got for a bunch

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Rehab wrote: »

Oh I thought you needed those to craft stuff. I guess I'll need to sell those. I sold the sapphire I got for a bunch

About that guess
    You need to have some to craft certain armor at the point I just reached and enhance said armor, but you don't need too much. The quantity needed of the rarest gem could prove a problem, but I doubt you would have that issue with any of the others if you've taken a sledgehammer to some rocks now and again as you've been playing.

Rehab on
  • Options
    One way to get rupees is snow ball bowling. But I suggest you study it on youtube first.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Also I use the a basic bow and arrows to try sniping the weaker mobs. You get a bonus with shots from behind. Arrows are easy to get. Also get a bonus to good head shots.

poipoigirl on
  • Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    poipoigirl wrote: »
    Also I use the a basic bow and arrows to try sniping the weaker mobs. You get a bonus with shots from behind. Arrows are easy to get. Also get a bonus to good head shots.

I mean, they are easier to get, but I always have way fewer regular arrows than shock, fire and ice arrows. And regular arrows are flat out required at certain points, in some shrines - I'd nearly completed one shrine then had to back out because I had no regular arrows left, having used them all on Lizalfos outside. Had plenty of special arrows left! But the regular ones are more special in some ways.