As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spycraft: so good or no good?

VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Critical Failures
I posted this in the wrong forum before, so I figured I'd repost it.

Long story short, I have a bunch of first print Spycraft books, and when I first got them years ago I tried to get people to play and no one would. The system seems like a lot of fun to me, but I couldn't generate interest.

I hear that there's newer versions now... have any of them (old or new) generated any reasonable amount of popularity? Has anyone here ever gamed Spycraft? Would you want to?

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
VThornheart on

• Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Spycraft is an old game, and a lot of the ideas they put in there were testbed ideas prior to the release of 3.5e, therefore there are a lot of problems with the game that make people not want to play.

The biggest problem with Spycraft is that it is a d20 game, and as such it relies heavily on the rules and codifying everything, whereas the genre lends itself better to freeform roleplaying and ad-lib action, two things d20 does poorly.

That being said, the premise and setting of the game are quite fun, especially if you are going for either the Mission Impossible thing or the A-Team thing.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Spycraft 2.0 rocks *hard*. My favorite of the "modern" versions of the system. Specifically the "duels" system, and how it's used for car chases, espionage, brainwashing/interrogating someone, etc. Very awesome.

Remember, though, it's a toolkit. There's tons of stuff in there, and you're probably not going to use it all. Plus, you're going to want to wait for the Second Printing, which should be out any day now. It incorporates all the errata from the original run.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hmm, I'll try and find out more about Spycraft 2.0 then. =)

And I agree with you about the D20 system delroland... but the idea was so awesome. =) I kind of wanted to redo it with West End Games' D6 system (which I've always found to be both more exciting and in general more entertaining than any D20 system).

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095