As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fish dying? Fuzzy appearance, need info..

ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
We picked up a new Betta a few days ago (our last one was eaten by one of the cats). This one has developed a fine almost fuzz around it's body. I can't tell if it's slime, or the scales, or what. He's barely moving (fluttering a little here and there), and we just can't seem to figure out what to do.

I know, "it's just a fish," but we're animal lovers... we'd like to know if there's something we can do.

Thanks folks.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
Shadowfire on

• Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It sounds like some sort of fungus he got from sitting in the stagnant betta cups they keep the poor guys in. Go to a specialized fish store and ask them there. It sounds like a fungus, so get some of that fungus powder they sell for fish, and it should clear him up.

http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquariumfish/detail.aspx?aid=20709&cid=3788&search=

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    ThujoneThujone Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If it's white dots on your fish, it's probably "ich" which is parasite related, anything else is probably fungal- and although fungal betta diseases can also be white in color, the slime tends to have a more cottony look. Either way, go to the pet store ASAP and get some medication, if the fish is lethargic it's probably in the late stages of the disease.

Unfortunately disease and parasites like ich spread really fast among fish (and sometimes stays on bowls if not disinfected with white vinegar and sunlight) so take care if you have other fish and are sharing nets or plants. Good luck!

Thujone on
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    White fuzz is almost definitely columnaris. It's bacterial, not fungal, but the medication you use to treat it is usually called fungus medication. Try Jungle Fungus Clear, which you can get from a petstore. It usually comes it tablets meant for a 10 gallon tank; you can break it into smaller pieces for a smaller tank. It will make the water quite green. When my fishies had columnaris, a few rounds of that cleared it right up. If the JFC doesn't work, you can move on to stronger antibiotics.

Note: don't let the pet store sell you Melafix or Pimafix claiming that it'll cure the fuzz. While Melafix (tea tree oil) is very good at encouraging damaged fins to heal and as a general water additive, it won't do diddly squat for an actual disease.

Mind if I ask what kind of tank the fish is in? If it's less than one gallon, it's very hard to keep the water clean, and dirty water makes fish sick. For bettas, you should be changing the water regularly; if you have a one gallon tank, once per week; once every two weeks for a two gallon, twice per week for a half gallon, etc. Besides, bettas are much happier in tanks of a gallon or more. Mine lived a long time in 2.5 gallon tanks and were far more interesting and personality-filled when they had some space to move around. After all, their native rice paddies give them acres of shallow water to swim about it.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Trowizilla wrote:
    White fuzz is almost definitely columnaris. It's bacterial, not fungal, but the medication you use to treat it is usually called fungus medication.

That is interesting, I wasn't aware that columnaris was bacterial, it's funny how everything is usually just lumped as fungal. Good to know.

Thujone on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    He died overnight. :( I got up early this morning so I could run out and get something for him, but I guess it was too late anyway.

This is.. discouraging. It was so sudden... there were no signs of anything going on until yesterday.

Is there any way to prevent this happening again? Should we be doing something extra to the bowl? I've never had a problem with fish before, and that we've lost two in a week is a bit depressing.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I'm sorry the little guy didn't make it. :( I have a feeling it's due to something he caught at the petstore and not at your house. If you plan on getting another fish, I would make sure that everything is disinfected by using white vinegar, and hot water. Let the vinegar sit overnight in the bowl, then rinse everything REALLY well to get rid of the residue. Don't use soap, the residue can kill fish. I'd also recommend you get your tap water tested.

Thujone on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Thujone wrote:
    I'm sorry the little guy didn't make it. :( I have a feeling it's due to something he caught at the petstore and not at your house. If you plan on getting another fish, I would make sure that everything is disinfected by using white vinegar, and hot water. Let the vinegar sit overnight in the bowl, then rinse everything REALLY well to get rid of the residue. Don't use soap, the residue can kill fish. I'd also recommend you get your tap water tested.

What should I test the tap water for? Ph levels? Nitrite?

I wasn't as worried about our water quality... our last two bettas lasted a good year each (the first one just died, no outward symptoms.. the second was eaten by one of the cats). We've never used soap in cleaning the bowl...

It probably was from the pet store. I mean, we've only had him since friday. Still, is there something we can do to prevent that next time? Is it safe to use fungal treatments as a preventative?

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Your betta may have been sick from the store. However, there are some things you can do to keep future fish healthy.

- Use a 1 gallon bowl/tank or larger, and change the water frequently. I know I'm pushing this, but a lot of (uninformed) people think that bettas do best in ridiculously tiny containers, which are practically impossible to keep clean and don't allow the fish any room to swim.
    - Always, always, always condition the water before you put the fish in it. There are a wide variety of water conditioners at any pet store; I like Amquel personally. This gets the chemicals that are in tap water away from your fish.
    - Keep common fish medications on hand. As you saw, columnaris tends to strike very quickly. I'd at least keep JFC and maybe some Melafix for torn fins.
    - Buy aquarium salt (not table salt) and put a tiny bit into the water. Bettas aren't salt water fish, but a bit of salt in their water helps protect them from infection.
    - If your tank regularly gets below about 72* F, get a small (25 watt) heater. Bettas are tropical fish and need fairly warm temperatures.
    - Make sure the betta has plenty of hiding places so he doesn't get stressed out. A fake silk plant (plastic ones can tear the fins) and maybe a small ceramic cup will give them good hidey-holes. One of mine liked to sleep inside a clear shotglass — very cute!
    - Don't over-feed. It makes the water dirtier and increases the risk of constipation. Fasting them one day of the week can be healthy, too.
    - This isn't a disease-prevention tip, but make sure the top of the tank has an air-permeable cover. Bettas tend to jump, and it's no fun to come home and find a suicide.
    - All the regular fish stuff (equalizing the water temperatures in the tank and the cup/bag before letting the fish out, not using soap to clean the tank, etc.)

Don't use fungal treatments as preventatives. You'll just make the bacteria more resistant. Instead, focus on keeping the water extremely clean. Your fish probably had something from the pet store, but poor water conditions can make fish more likely to succumb to illness.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Shadowfire wrote:
    Thujone wrote:

What should I test the tap water for? Ph levels? Nitrite?

I wasn't as worried about our water quality... our last two bettas lasted a good year each (the first one just died, no outward symptoms.. the second was eaten by one of the cats). We've never used soap in cleaning the bowl...

It probably was from the pet store. I mean, we've only had him since friday. Still, is there something we can do to prevent that next time? Is it safe to use fungal treatments as a preventative?

Ah, by test the tap water, I meant bring in a small sample to the pet store after you've cleaned/added conditioner to the place you'll put your new fish. That way you can be sure that there isn't some weird impurities due to the cleaning of the old tank, that's what I did after I had an infected fish and I didn't have any further problems.

Thujone on