As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is Groupon a good service to use if we want to go to Europe?

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
We're thinking of going to Europe next year and the BF found some really amazing deal on Groupon for European travel but neither of us are completely sure what it is exactly or if it's a good idea to use.

Anyone have any experience with it?

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Not sure what the deal is, but in my experience, things like groupon are best used for service-based offers. People will not un-often get burned if it's goods-based or retail-transactional in nature.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    What's the Groupon specifically for?

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I've not experienced it but I've read a lot of these and they are basically airline tickets, hotel rooms, and a car rental combo. They sometimes include tickets to attractions but it is strictly get there yourself for them. Each one is different though so just read carefully.

Also none of them I've seen leave from MSP. Nearly all of the departures are from La Guardia. So you'll incur the extra cost of buying a ticket to NY.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Check what they're offering and check whether there's any leeway for additional fees. I've seen several groupons that were a huge discount but had room for, say, an additional travel fee which would then bring the price back to where it'd normally be. I haven't seen that for actual travel, so maybe that's different.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    I personally don't do tours, so if that's what you're looking at my advice may not be as relevant.

I've seen a lot of deals on Groupon for these things, but they've rarely been super great. Make sure you factor in what you're actually getting and price out what it would be to buy the same thing yourself. Often times the titles are misleading. For example, "8 days in Paris" will almost certainly mean you only get 6 nights in a hotel. 2 of the 'days' are your arrival and departure days. Also, these usually have mid week travel dates, which while sometimes cheaper, are a waste of vacation days to me.

Not sure where you're leaving out of, when you're going or where you want to go. But if you have some flexibility and shop around you can find good deals on your own. Right now airlines are putting summer 2018 flights to Europe on sale for some reason (seems very early to do that to me). NYC to Europe on a real airline is currently around $500. Some destinations are even less. MSP might be slightly more, but you can always check up on it and wait for a sale.