As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Create a Single Public Webpage where Multiple People can Edit with Login Details

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
So for a personal project, I'd like to create a webpage, preferably a wiki-type webpage, which is publicly viewable, but can only be edited if you have login details. The idea being I'd share the login details with others in the project. Is there a service like this that can create and host a single page, or would I have to sign up for something on Wikia or similar? Or is there a non-wiki way of doing this that would be simpler?

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    So for a personal project, I'd like to create a webpage, preferably a wiki-type webpage, which is publicly viewable, but can only be edited if you have login details. The idea being I'd share the login details with others in the project. Is there a service like this that can create and host a single page, or would I have to sign up for something on Wikia or similar? Or is there a non-wiki way of doing this that would be simpler?

Wikia/Wikidot would be the simplest way, I think.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Wordpress can do this, although it's not a wiki, it's a blog.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Why not just use Atlassian Confluence? WYSIWYG GUI with permissions you can edit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Just about any CMS can do this. You'll just have to decide which one you want to implement and whether you want to pay for it. I've mostly used Drupal for this sort of thing in the past, but you really have a million options.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Why not just use Atlassian Confluence? WYSIWYG GUI with permissions you can edit.

It didn't look like I could leave what I finished viewable to the public, is that the case? And can they host the page?
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Just about any CMS can do this. You'll just have to decide which one you want to implement and whether you want to pay for it. I've mostly used Drupal for this sort of thing in the past, but you really have a million options.

What's a CMS

Also I'd like it to be free if possible.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I make absolutely no claims regarding this exact website, it was one of the first ones that came up in a quick google. But it lists a bunch of Content Management Systems, which are the platforms most modern websites are built on.

https://www.capterra.com/content-management-software/#infographic

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Free Wordpress site is what you want. It is hosted, has a decent size limit for free, can have different levels of access you can custom tailor, and can look like a wide range of content.

My map portfolio has four authors working on it. I'm the admin and run the maps through it, but two other GMs and a content creator edit our player handbook and house rules content frequently, and update their own campaign journals as the games run.

• Options

It didn't look like I could leave what I finished viewable to the public, is that the case? And can they host the page?

Yes and yes. Licence is based on amount of users you want to be able to edit it. IIRC it's $10 per year if you have 10 or less such users.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

Yes and yes. Licence is based on amount of users you want to be able to edit it. IIRC it's $10 per year if you have 10 or less such users.

10/year hosted locally, per month on their cloud service. (First month is free)

Edit: For 10 users.

I seem to recall that they bring the pain when they've got you hooked and you exceed 10.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Oh we use the local version, i had assumed cloud pricing to be the same.

steam_sig.png