As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games on the Schedule - Experience required?

TronorailTronorail Registered User new member
Hi everyone. I've never been to a Pax event or a board game event in general. Unplugged will be my first of both. I was looking through the schedule of events and saw that a couple of games I'm interested in trying are scheduled. Are these scheduled sessions appropriate for a first time player of that game? For example, I saw that Twilight Imperium is going to be played and is limited to 8 players. I've never played it since no one I know is willing to devote the time. Is that something appropriate to sign up for if I've never played it, or is it expected that I would already know how to play?

• Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Looking to clarify your question - If you are looking at, for example, Twilight Imperium at noon on Friday, that is actually a tournament, not open play.

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Options
    Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    Just an FYI, anything with a trophy symbol beside the event is a competition.

• Options
    LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular
    Tronorail wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I've never been to a Pax event or a board game event in general. Unplugged will be my first of both. I was looking through the schedule of events and saw that a couple of games I'm interested in trying are scheduled. Are these scheduled sessions appropriate for a first time player of that game? For example, I saw that Twilight Imperium is going to be played and is limited to 8 players. I've never played it since no one I know is willing to devote the time. Is that something appropriate to sign up for if I've never played it, or is it expected that I would already know how to play?

For scheduled events listed as being in the Learn To Play room, why yes, those will be taught :)
    For scheduled events listed as "Tournament" (with the Trophy icon), in most cases familiarity with the rules is expected, unless the event listing indicates that the game will be taught beforehand.

Tournaments where the games will be taught include:
    - Friday Night Frenzy / Saturday Night Showdown - These events are large, 128-player events where the games that will be played are a mystery until the event begins. The games will be light, casual-level games that will be taught to participants at the event.
    - Diamonds - This trick-taking game is a twist on Hearts and Spades, and will have a Learn To Play session for new players just prior to the event.

Some other tournaments will be run by Publishers instead of by PAX Enforcers. It's possible that these games will be taught as the event begins. If/when I have more specifics, I will post them on the forums, and we will indicate this at the Tournament Registration booth at the show.

Beyond these though, most of the games will also be in the PAX Lending Library, and you can check them out to learn how to play at your own pace, before the tournament happens.