Options

What television shows should I get into (available on iTunes)?

OrganichuOrganichu poopspeesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So I did a search for threads with 'iTunes' in the title and the only relevant result I saw showed that Heroes isn't available on iTunes. I then searched for 'shows' and got nothing. 'TV' would obviously be worthless, I think, because of the myriad "what TV should I buy?" threads. The only thread I saw that looked as though it could be helpful (the "New and Returning Shows" thread) hadn't been posted in in 2 months, so... here I am.

---

I don't watch TV. That isn't really hyperbole. I sometimes watch pixels on my television but they are movies and games- I don't watch televised programming at all. A friend of mine capitalized on a.) the fact that I'm ignorant about almost any shows in the last several years and b.) the fact that I hate physical DVDs. I got a pretty hefty iTunes gift card and was instructed to 'enjoy yourself'.

So, what shows should I hop into? I already grabbed season 1 of Dexter which I greatly enjoyed, if that's any indication. I've seen most of CSI: SVU since my roommate in college had the DVD boxset. Pretty much everything else I haven't seen. What have I missed that would be on iTunes?

Organichu on

• Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, FUCK European iTunes. We don't even get music videos, let alone anything related to video.

But you should check out Battlestar Galactica, I guess? It's arguably one of the best sci-fi shows ever.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Why bother with iTunes? How much do you pay a season? There are probably better online rental services. Not to mention some websites keeping episodes available online. The websites of the show, I mean. The legal ones. Like Pushing Daisies, available at go.abc.com. And it's a pretty damn good show. Heroes an House are more common ones. But for the more obscure, to your taste gems of t.v. You'll have to ask around. What's your style? Prefer more drama, comedy? Genre?

I use iTunes for playing music, and nothing else.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    Why bother with iTunes? How much do you pay a season? There are probably better online rental services. Not to mention some websites keeping episodes available online. The websites of the show, I mean. The legal ones. Like Pushing Daisies, available at go.abc.com. And it's a pretty damn good show.

I received a gift card from a friend who wanted me to use it for this express purpose.

I'll look into that show, though. Thanks.

Organichu on
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Why bother with iTunes? How much do you pay a season? There are probably better online rental services. Not to mention some websites keeping episodes available online. The websites of the show, I mean. The legal ones. Like Pushing Daisies, available at go.abc.com. And it's a pretty damn good show.

Most shows don't allow you to view the program from IPs outside the United States.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Most shows don't allow you to view the program from IPs outside the United States.

That's crappy, and how the hell did I just... read over the gift card bit... :|

I suggest House. Completely.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I suggest House. Completely.

Is that the one with the cynical doctor with the cane? Searching now.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Shit looks like iTunes doesn't carry it.

edit: how is Lost? Everyone seems to love that one.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's just so much more than that. Oh... No House, sorry.

Lost... I never really got into it. I heard that after the second season or so, it became like... some parody of itself.

What else is on the list?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Actually... don't listen to me. I don't even watch that much t.v.

Only a few shows, like Heroes, Pushing Daisies, Lost.

Monk, Journeyman and Burn Notice, they're good. Dexter, Californication. HBO and Showtime have good shows.

Dead Like Me was a gem.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Family Guy, Weeds, Grey's Anatomy, Scrubs, Lost, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Prison Break, Chappelle Show, 24, The Shield, ...

Those were up near the top of the best selling section.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Of those I suggest Family Guy, Weeds and Scrubs. That's really it... Maybe Philadelphia. I've never seen it, but I hear good things.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The first three seasons of the Office are available on ITunes. I recommend that one, good comedy. First season has it's bumps, really picks up into seasons 2-3.

Rubick on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Jericho is good.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is on iTunes, but only seasons 1 + 2. After that I think you have to buy the DVDs--no digital distribution anywhere as far as I can tell.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Rubick wrote: »
    The first three seasons of the Office are available on ITunes. I recommend that one, good comedy. First season has it's bumps, really picks up into seasons 2-3.

I shall look into it. Does it have Steve Carell (guy from 40 Year Old Virgin)?

Re: Jericho: is that about the mysterious nuclear explosion?

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yes, it has Steve Carell.

I'm also a huge Buffy fan, so I second that suggestion. The first season is pretty meh, but the second and third seasons are amazing.

Rubick on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Rubick wrote: »
    Yes, it has Steve Carell.

Ok, then it was the show I'm thinking of. I think I'll go ahead and grab it. I love that guy.
    I'm also a huge Buffy fan, so I second that suggestion. The first season is pretty meh, but the second and third seasons are amazing.

Gotcha'. Clarify my shitty memory: I remember that Buffy's boyfriend (at some point) was the guy who went off to form a spinoff (that I hated) called Angel, right? At what point was he in the show (Buffy, I mean).

Organichu on
  • Options
    alivatnaalivatna Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's Always Sunny is amazingggggggg. Watch it please. Please?
    Psych is also good. I don't know if you watched 24 before but season 5 was pure awesome. Prison Break is a good suspenseful show too. Jericho is about the nuclear explosions, yes. Watch it because it's coming back on the air soon and we need more viewers!

alivatna on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Hahahaha I just realized in the OP I wrote CSI: SVU. Damn, I really am rusty with TV.

I'll definitely give the pilot of IASIP a chance. A few friends told me it has the kind of off-the-wall and caustic humor that you have to really love or kind of hate. If I like it I'll look into it more.

I've never watched 24. I know about its 'real time' premise which sounds interesting. Since it does seem to basically be about a spy/federal agent... how's the action?

Organichu on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My Name Is Earl is also a very good comedy show. I don't know if it's on iTunes, but it's good watching nonetheless. Lots of charm and great, charismatic actors.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Organichu wrote: »
    Gotcha'. Clarify my shitty memory: I remember that Buffy's boyfriend (at some point) was the guy who went off to form a spinoff (that I hated) called Angel, right? At what point was he in the show (Buffy, I mean).

Angel was on Buffy during seasons 1-3. The beginning of Season 4 of Buffy is when his spin-off, Angel started.

Ask more questions. Let me prove my Buffy nerdiness in a spectacular fashion.

Rubick on
  • Options
    RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lost is fucking outstanding. Just watch the Pilot and I guarantee you will be hooked.

Ritchmeister on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dexter

Seriously

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd recommend Avatar: The Last Airbender if you're interested in animated shows. Battlestar Galactica and The Office would also be my top recommendations. And while Lost is a great show as well it can get very frustrating. As in, and this might be a spoiler depending on how sensitive you are to information:
    At the end of season three you still really have no fucking clue what's going on.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I have a pretty good chunk of iTunes $$$ and I'm being kind of pussyish about it. Thanks for all the recommendations so far!

Just bought Lost S1, IASIP S1 (only $14, woohoo!), Prison Break S1, and Jericho S1.

Can't seem to find the Office. :eek:

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Dexter

Seriously

It was my first purchase and I zipped through all 12 episodes in one day. I then hopped to On Demand to watch Season 2. I chronicled my watching in the Dexter thread.

Organichu on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    :^::^:

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    30 Rock! (Wait, that's an NBC show... does that mean it won't be on?)

Also, even though it's been said, Weeds demands repeat mention.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think it should be mentioned that 30 Rock, Heroes, and The Office can all be watched on Netflix for pretty cheap.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Quid wrote: »
    I think it should be mentioned that 30 Rock, Heroes, and The Office can all be watched on Netflix for pretty cheap.

Thanks, noted.

I also can't find Niptuck anywhere on here, and that was recommended by a few people too.

Organichu on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dexter

Seriously

It was my first purchase and I zipped through all 12 episodes in one day. I then hopped to On Demand to watch Season 2. I chronicled my watching in the Dexter thread.

I re-iterate: Bwa ha ha.

My list of the best TV shows:

Moonlighting: the original Bruce "Seagrim's Golden Wine Cooler" Willis.

Babylon 5: The first show to ever have a comprehensive multi-season story arc (soap operas don't count).

Farscape: Muppets AND awesome characters.

Angel: It's like Buffy for grownups. The later seasons are particularly great.

Dexter: The best active show on television. Highly subversive.

Battlestar Galactica: An awesome drama that happens to have flaming space death sometimes.

Doctor Who: Silly but fun. Will keep you busy for a long time if you go back to the beginning.

X-Files: Loved the early seasons: "Home" is possibly the most chilling story filmed for television.

Millenium: And if not "Home," then the pilot of this show is. Frank Black rules.

Supernatural: Could easily be in the X-Files/Millenium universe, it also is notable for giving a view of the gritty life of low-end monster hunters.

Black Adder: Three seasons with the same characters/actors but different time periods, ending in World War I. Very witty.

Rome: I dare you to watch the first season and not go yelling "THIRTEEN!" afterwards. It's a great Rosencrantz & Guildenstern version of Roman history... the fictional characters are uber badasses, which makes up for the fact that they're not historical like everyone else.

Batman: The Animated Series: The definative filmed version of the Dark Knight, until Batman Begins. If you like that, then also check out the following shows from the same creators: Superman, Batman Beyond, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, and, to a lesser extent, Static Shock.

Brisco County Jr.: Weird West serial with Bruce Campbell.

Profit: One of the first anti-hero shows, about an up-and-coming executive that lies, blackmails, and possibly murders up the corporate food chain. He also has sex with his stepmother.

Brimstone: Before Reaper there was this dark tale of a man who comitted suicide after losing his wife. The Devil (played by John Glover) brought him back to hunt evil souls that escaped Hell.

Jack of All Trades: Another Bruce Campbell romp: just your average swashbuckling science fiction historical secret agent show.

American Gothic: Small town sheriff is a servant of Satan.

The Shield: Corrupt cops play by their own rules in a cat-and-mouse with other cops and criminals to clean up the streets and make a profit for themselves. Awesome acting by Michael Chikless.

Red Dwarf: Hilarious BBC sci-fi comedy.

'Allo 'Allo: Hilarious BBC WWII comedy.

Monty Python's Flying Circus: Hilarious BBC sketch comedy.

The L Word: Alright, so it's not great TV. Just turn off the sound. The ladies are -fine-.
    Code Monkeys: What if you lived in a 1980's Nintendo game? Also awesome for the great Jonathan Coulton song in the intro.

Friends: A bit dated, but still a great American comedy (barring the Ross/Rachel stuff).

Frasier: Good as long as you can stand watching Frasier lose. He never wins. He's like Ziggy that way.

The Boondocks: The most insightful show about race relations on the air. See my thread for more info.

Gargoyles: Finally, a Disney cartoon that grownups can appreciate! Badass warrior gargoyles from the Middle Ages sleep for a thousand years and wake up in the modern era, the last of their kind.

The Tick: Hilarious animated series filled to the brim with amazing catchphrases you'll find yourself uttering to friends. "Halt, Naughty Spawn, you face The Tick!" "SPOOOOOOONNN!" "Roof pig! Most unexpected!"

Spawn: HBO animation featuring the back-from-hell superhero. Lots of bloody violence, sex, and evil clowns.

Robot Chicken: Inspired stop-motion parody from Seth Green.

Okay, I think that's enough for now. (Please note, I included no non-American animation. There's plenty of threads devoted to anime).

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Dexter

Seriously

I re-iterate: Bwa ha ha.

My list of the best TV shows:

Moonlighting: the original Bruce "Seagrim's Golden Wine Cooler" Willis

Babylon 5:The first show to ever have a comprehensive multi-season story arc (soap operas don't count)

Farscape: Muppets AND awesome characters.

Angel: It's like Buffy for grownups. The later seasons are particularly great.

Dexter: The best active show on television. Highly subversive.

Battlestar Galactica: An awesome drama that happens to have flaming space death sometimes.

Doctor Who: Silly but fun. Will keep you busy for a long time if you go back to the beginning.

X-Files: Loved the early seasons: "Home" is possibly the most chilling story filmed for television.

Millenium: And if not "Home," then the pilot of this show is. Frank Black rules.

Supernatural: Could easily be in the X-Files/Millenium universe, it also is notable for giving a view of the gritty life of low-end monster hunters.

Black Adder:
    Three seasons with the same characters/actors but different time periods, ending in World War I. Very witty.

Rome: I dare you to watch the first season and not go yelling "THIRTEEN!" afterwards. It's a great Rosencrantz & Guildenstern version of Roman history... the fictional characters are uber badasses, which makes up for the fact that they're not historical like everyone else.

Batman: The Animated Series: The definative filmed version of the Dark Knight, until Batman Begins. If you like that, then also check out the following shows from the same creators: Superman, Batman Beyond, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, and, to a lesser extent, Static Shock.

Brisco County Jr.: Weird West serial with Bruce Campbell

Profit: One of the first anti-hero shows, about an up-and-coming executive that lies, blackmails, and possibly murders up the corporate food chain. He also has sex with his stepmother.

Brimstone: Before Reaper there was this dark tale of a man who comitted suicide after losing his wife. The Devil (played by John Glover) brought him back to hunt evil souls that escaped Hell.

Jack of All Trades: Another Bruce Campbell romp: just your average swashbuckling science fiction historical secret agent show.

American Gothic: Small town sheriff is a servant of Satan.

The Shield:
    Corrupt cops play by their own rules in a cat-and-mouse with other cops and criminals to clean up the streets and make a profit for themselves. Awesome acting by Michael Chikless.

Red Dwarf: Hilarious BBC sci-fi comedy.

'Allo 'Allo: Hilarious BBC WWII comedy.

Monty Python's Flying Circus:
    Hilarious BBC sketch comedy.

The L Word:
    Alright, so it's not great TV. Just turn off the sound. The ladies are -fine-.
    Code Monkeys: What if you lived in a 1980's Nintendo game? Also awesome for the great Jonathan Coulton song in the intro.

Friends: A bit dated, but still a great American comedy (barring the Ross/Rachel stuff).

Frasier: Good as long as you can stand watching Frasier lose. He never wins. He's like Ziggy that way.

The Boondocks: The most insightful show about race relations on the air. See my thread for more info.

Gargoyles: Finally, a Disney cartoon that grownups can appreciate! Badass warrior gargoyles from the Middle Ages sleep for a thousand years and wake up in the modern era, the last of their kind.

The Tick: Hilarious animated series filled to the brim with amazing catchphrases you'll find yourself uttering to friends. "Halt, Naughty Spawn, you face The Tick!" "SPOOOOOOONNN!" "Roof pig! Most unexpected!"

Spawn: HBO animation featuring the back-from-hell superhero. Lots of bloody violence, sex, and evil clowns.

Robot Chicken:
    Inspired stop-motion parody from Seth Green.

Okay, I think that's enough for now.

For, y'know... readability.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

For, y'know... readability.

Er, sorry, I was being lazy.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Why bother with iTunes? How much do you pay a season? There are probably better online rental services. Not to mention some websites keeping episodes available online. The websites of the show, I mean. The legal ones. Like Pushing Daisies, available at go.abc.com. And it's a pretty damn good show. Heroes an House are more common ones. But for the more obscure, to your taste gems of t.v. You'll have to ask around. What's your style? Prefer more drama, comedy? Genre?

Sidenote: ABC takes episodes down after a while. Until the DVD comes out, I don't think anyone can watch Pushing Daisies from the beginning.

/cry

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    NBC and Apple had a fight a while back, so I think a lot of the NBC-produced shows are gone off of iTunes now (even though they used to be available), which unfortunately includes The Office and several others people have mentioned in here. I don't know off the top of my head though since I don't use iTunes.

Psych is one of those shows that you think would be either entirely obnoxious or at the very least just bad by looking at the premise, but it's actually very light and fun.

Avatar the Last Airbender is really really excellent. The only bad thing I can say about it is that because it's on Nickelodeon, they occasionally get a little on-the-nose with things, but it's a very well-realized world, and both the storyline and the characters are interesting and well-layered.

Pushing Daisies is by far my favorite new show of this season, but it may be a bit twee for some viewers.
    On a similar note, I'm pretty sure it's not on iTunes, but if you like Pushing Daisies, you might also like Wonderfalls, which was a shortlived series on Fox from one of the same creators (and includes the lead guy from Pushing Daisies in a supporting role).

Since it's an NBC show, it's probably not on iTunes anymore, but if you're looking elsewhere -- Season 1 of Friday Night Lights. It's amazing. Seriously. It's scarily accurate, and I hated my high school, but the show was my favorite thing on TV last year. (Season 2 has unfortunately been split half between the show I loved and half between crazily out of place melodrama. But Season 1 is extremely well-encapsulated, so watch that.)

And Arrested Development. I don't know if it's on iTunes or not, but you should watch it. All of it.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1