As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Salary Kerfuffle

Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up!Spokane WARegistered User regular
I have been working at a major insurance company for 3.5 years. I started here at $32k a year, and the past two years I have been given a $1k raise (which my Boss made a big deal about how we normally only get $800, but he fought to get me more). I found out a few months ago that everyone hired after me, started at $34k, and the people who started 1 year ago in September 2017 all received a $1k raise at their anniversary date, so they now make more than me. We don't get raises at our anniversary date, we get them after our year end review, so usually around April or so.

I am great at my job, I work hard, and I know more about our policies and procedures than anyone at my location. In fact, I just got done training our newest training class this last summer.

So my direct supervisor lied to me about why I got my raise, everyone got them because they were raising the minimum that my department got paid. I don't hold any ill well towards the other employees who got a raise, but I am perturbed that I didn't get one, nor did my boss pull me aside and give me a heads up on what was going on. I haven't talked to my Boss yet, but honestly he doesn't decide any of this, and I feel like he misrepresented my previous raises, so I really don't trust him to tell me the truth.

Any advice? I live and work in Washington state

TL/DNR - People hired 2.5 years after me, started at my same pay rate and now make $1k more than me. I am irritated.

“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    You have just discovered the reason that employers don't like staff members talking about their wages with each other and the reason that it's often easier to get a raise by changing jobs than staying with a company long term.

It really depends on how well you get on with your boss, but you should approach them about it first if you do want to bring it up. If you feel they're lying to you after you talk to them then you can always take it to HR or further up if you're comfortable with that, but at least give them a chance to make it right.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Might want to have an offer from elsewhere in have first, just in case.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    This seems bog-standard evil corporation to me and I would personally never bring it up, though I might job search depending on details.

sig.gif
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Look for another job, once you have offer in hand talk to your boss or department manager.

You see this a lot with every retail or restaurant job. Minimum wage goes up and everyone starts at an amount it took 2 years of raises to get to.

Tell them you checked out the salary on glassdoor or something as to not drag in other employees. Give them an option to keep you by giving you the raises in addition to the new hire rate. Be prepared to walk.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Yeah, unless you are 100% essential and replacing you would cost more than double what you are asking, moving forward on this will likely be the hill you die on. Even if you get it, you likely will not get additional promotion or funds in the future, will have a negative perception from your bosses, and/or likely will be run off by them.

Shouldn't be that way, but thems the breaks in our corporate distopia.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    You have just discovered the reason that employers don't like staff members talking about their wages...

Just this.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    HAVE ANOTHER JOB FIRST

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    HAVE ANOTHER JOB FIRST

A job offer in writing

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I don't get why people are saying have another job offer before bringing this up, because is almost universally an incredibly bad move to use a job offer to get a raise. You lose security in the process, ruffle feathers of the management, and they now know you can't be trusted to be a good little cog so you're first up when it's time to slash staff. Plus even if they do give you the raise that one time good luck trying to get anything else because they'll use that against you in reviews to justify not giving more money.

If you have a job offer in writing then take it and don't look back. The alternative is extremely risky and in the high likelihood it doesn't pan out you have lost everything.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I don't get why people are saying have another job offer before bringing this up, because is almost universally an incredibly bad move to use a job offer to get a raise. You lose security in the process, ruffle feathers of the management, and they now know you can't be trusted to be a good little cog so you're first up when it's time to slash staff. Plus even if they do give you the raise that one time good luck trying to get anything else because they'll use that against you in reviews to justify not giving more money.

If you have a job offer in writing then take it and don't look back. The alternative is extremely risky and in the high likelihood it doesn't pan out you have lost everything.

I don't really know what's best, whether to use an offer as leverage or not. But everything I've ever heard says that if you are in any way counting on an offer, make sure it's in writing

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

I think people are just saying get another job offer before you bring it up, not mention that offer as leverage. All of your downsides above double as good reasons not to have the discussion at all, just get another job and quit.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    you shouldn't go to your supervisor for a 'so hey I discovered you're treating me like a dumbshit' conversation without another offer in hand because there's basically no way that conversation goes well; nobody likes being called on their BS. At best you get the squeaky wheel treatment and you're in an unfavorable position in the future.

If you just really like the place you work or can't/won't move on the only thing you can really do is suck this one up, and negotiate more aggressively next time around

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Did you feel fairly compensated before you found out your co-worker's salary?

Your boss doesn't likely to have free reign to give raises, especially if there are yearly merit increases. Have a conversation and bring data how much you are producing/saving the company and maybe you might get a larger cut of that merit increase pool. If you are unhappy and think you are underpaid, you should be looking anyways.

I've never felt more insulted when I left my last job and they said that they could give me a huge raise to stay. If they wanted me that bad why didn't they do that before.

That being said; nothing ventured, nothing gained.

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Tigliss wrote: »
    Did you feel fairly compensated before you found out your co-worker's salary?

Your boss doesn't likely to have free reign to give raises, especially if there are yearly merit increases. Have a conversation and bring data how much you are producing/saving the company and maybe you might get a larger cut of that merit increase pool. If you are unhappy and think you are underpaid, you should be looking anyways.

I've never felt more insulted when I left my last job and they said that they could give me a huge raise to stay. If they wanted me that bad why didn't they do that before.

That being said; nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I get the sense it's not the actual salary, but the, "hey look at how big a favor I did you by giving you this much of a raise" talk that he found out was the standard raise given around to everyone.
    That the same raise also bumped up some of his juniors to making more money than him was just an extra twist of the knife.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Pretend you didn't see any of that fellow employee salary stuff and ask to see what would put you on track for a 10% raise. You've got half a year to go so might as well bring it up now.

I am pretty candid with my boss because I trust my boss. If you don't trust your boss, you are not morally obligated to let them in on the whole truth. They only need to know that you need more money and that's it. If there is no way such a raise is happening, then you've got to live with earning less than your peers, getting promoted to a different salary grade, or finding a job at another company.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    With having another job in hand, you don't necessarily need to ask them to match, but you can negotiate from a place of strength very aggressively, with a pocket job.

zepherin on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    you shouldn't go to your supervisor for a 'so hey I discovered you're treating me like a dumbshit' conversation without another offer in hand because there's basically no way that conversation goes well; nobody likes being called on their BS. At best you get the squeaky wheel treatment and you're in an unfavorable position in the future.

If you just really like the place you work or can't/won't move on the only thing you can really do is suck this one up, and negotiate more aggressively next time around

Honestly the best thing to do is to wait until the annual review and negotiate hard.

If you're going the "get a job offer" route just leave and take the new job. Using it to negotiate will just make you target for shitty behavior.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Honestly the best thing to do is to wait until the annual review and negotiate hard.

If you're going the "get a job offer" route just leave and take the new job. Using it to negotiate will just make you target for shitty behavior.

You'd only want to bring it up as salary research to negotiate in good faith.

And on the other side: I'd potentially be irritated if I got to the offer letter phase only to find out I was being played and possibly lost my second choice as well.

I'd get over it, but that's kind of a dick move.

It seems like there's another option here: if new hires make more than you, can you apply to the next billet that opens up?

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    The thing about using an offer letter as leverage to get yourself a raise is that it only works once. You will in all likelihood never see another raise again, and if you try it a second time they'll probably tell you to piss off.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Or they'll justify the raise as being commensurate with the added responsibility of training your replacement.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Understanding that every corporation is a bit different, and someone else here mentioned it, your boss likely doesn't have the power to mete out raises; so you need to go to him with info showing how you are more valuable than others at your position. Keep it in a format that he can easily take and send forward/upward. Try to not be confrontational about the situation so that there is a positive image of you within the company.

Depending on your corporate heirarchy details, your boss may need to be your advocate if you want a raise above others at your pay grade. If you don't have the greatest confidence in your boss, is there a mentor at your company that you can discuss this with who can give you some guidance as to a way forward?

• Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Don’t wait until annual review time to ask for a raise. You need to start prepping your boss early by finding out what you need to do in order to justify a large raise and then showing that your on track so that they can prep things on their ending.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Just dropping by and asking for raises only honestly works on TV shows. Nine times out of Ten they'll tell you "Okay we'll discuss this on your annual review."

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    Thanks for all your replies.

I am actively looking for another job, both within and outside the company.

Our reviews are typically done sometime in the first quarter, with raises going into effect shortly after. I have never had a salary "negotiation" I am just handed down the amount of my raise from my supervisor, who does not have the power of giving or setting the amount of raises. As far as I know he can make recommendations to his boss, but she is the one that makes the final decision. This boss works on the opposite side of the country from us.

At this point I have been in my position longer than anyone left in my particular department. Everyone else has quit, or taken positions in other departments. I was recently passed over for a promotion that would make me a supervisor in my department. The person that the job was given to has "decided to seek opportunities outside the company" and her last day is 11/30. Based on what was said and how it was announced it appears that she did not know what she was doing, and was told to step down or resign so she resigned.

“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    With having another job in hand, you don't necessarily need to ask them to match, but you can negotiate from a place of strength very aggressively, with a pocket job.

This. If you need to "go hard" on negotiating, it helps tremendously to have an offer in your back pocket. I almost never recommend actually telling your boss that you have another offer because that opens a whole other can of worms, but knowing you can walk away if they don't budge gives you the ability to be firm in what you know you're worth. Then you can make the call based on what they are willing to offer.

And yeah, in my experience, most employers are only really willing to even put this on the table at annual review time.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    The suggestion of having another job wasn't so you'd have some sort of negotiating leverage. It's so that no matter how things turn out, you're not in a position of being unemployed or a hostile environment at work. You can be respectful and upfront about your issue without worrying about having to walk it back later if they see it as "troublemaking". Which despite the way movies sell salary negotiation, is a real possibility depending on your industry. You can go in, and say, "I've been getting my regular raises. I've done well on my annual reviews. According to glassdoor though, you're starting people above my current salary and giving larger raises to new hires. I need to be treated fairly."

They may tell you to fuck off and quit if you don't like it, or they may tell you it's not true (even though you've verified it). All signs that you need to be working somewhere else. It's a lot easier to be confident in your assertions if you know you're not on a tightrope without a net.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I have been working at a major insurance company for 3.5 years. I started here at $32k a year, and the past two years I have been given a $1k raise (which my Boss made a big deal about how we normally only get $800, but he fought to get me more). I found out a few months ago that everyone hired after me, started at $34k, and the people who started 1 year ago in September 2017 all received a $1k raise at their anniversary date, so they now make more than me. We don't get raises at our anniversary date, we get them after our year end review, so usually around April or so.

I am great at my job, I work hard, and I know more about our policies and procedures than anyone at my location. In fact, I just got done training our newest training class this last summer.

So my direct supervisor lied to me about why I got my raise, everyone got them because they were raising the minimum that my department got paid. I don't hold any ill well towards the other employees who got a raise, but I am perturbed that I didn't get one, nor did my boss pull me aside and give me a heads up on what was going on. I haven't talked to my Boss yet, but honestly he doesn't decide any of this, and I feel like he misrepresented my previous raises, so I really don't trust him to tell me the truth.

Any advice? I live and work in Washington state

TL/DNR - People hired 2.5 years after me, started at my same pay rate and now make $1k more than me. I am irritated.

Just to echo everyone here

Get a new job. You're going to get fuck all out of your current job, they're under no obligation to pay you more.

I speak from experience, you owe these people nothing. Get a new job and have the offer in writing. This is key. IN WRITING. Then (and only then) if you're feeling nice give your current job a chance to counter offer.

Honestly I would just bounce if the exit was there.

• Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I know Bowen already said it a couple of times, but I really recommend against getting an offer from another company and then trying to negotiate for a raise. Wheather you meantion the offer or not it's usually not a good idea.

Generally speaking the world is smaller than you think and people talk. If you do this, you'll definatly look like a flake to one company or the other. You might get what you want in the short term, or you might not, but you'll definatly burn a bridge that you may want intact in future.

You really need to decide if this is something you'd leave over. If it is, look for another job, and when you get an offer take it. If you're not prepared to leave over this, don't go looking as you're just wasting everyone's time including your own.

I've always found that there is no harm in raising it with your manager. But raise it as "I feel undervalued" and focus on emphasizing your value. Never do it by comparison to others (it's ultimately irrelevant in the decision), never threaten or demand.

If you threaten or demand then you put yourself in a position where your manager has to categorise you as a flight risk and put in place contingency plans.

I live in a country where workers actually have rights, and work in an in-demand profession. So take this with a grain of salt. But I've never seen anything bad come from raising these concerns in a respectful way. I have seen many times bad things happening as a result of these being raised as demands. And I've been very pissed-off by having someone waste my time going all the way to an offer just because they wanted to negotiate at their current job.

orthanc