As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finance mini-Wizard request.

azith28azith28 Registered User regular
I'm looking into buying a home, and I was reading about some of the programs available for first time home buyers. The Only one that stands out as something I may want to consider is a down payment assist program, but its sounding like a bit of a trap, so i wanted to try and confirm that.

The offer is to pay 5% of your down payment

Down Payment Assistance Program Ohio offers first-time homebuyers a second mortgage of either 2.5 percent or 5 percent of the purchase price in the form of a 0 percent loan with no payments that is forgiven after seven years. If the home is sold, refinanced or transferred the amount received must be paid back. Borrowers must have a minimum 640 FICO score. Borrowers who select 2.5 percent in assistance will incur an interest rate on their first mortgage that is 0.5 percent above loans with no assistance; borrowers selecting 5 percent help receive an interest rate that is 1 percent above loans with no assistance.

It's the 1 percent more interest that I'm looking at funny. Lets assume 3 situations, a 170k house (8500 assistance), a 220k house (11,000), and a 250k house(12,500), each with a 30 year fixed apr loan, at say 3.5% . What would be the total amount owed back at that 3.5% vs the 4.5% if i got the 5% down payment assistance? I am assuming that these kinds of programs are more for a much lower purchase price than what i am looking at, and so the higher amounts I'm considering is actually going to be a lot worse because of the higher interest rate. Please confirm my theory.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I'm not an authority here, but if meeting your down payment is going to require taking a second mortgage you likely are better off just waiting and saving until you can purchase without that program.

You'll have thousands of dollars of repairs and upkeep each year (averaged out over time), being able to meet a high down-payment usually means you can afford those costs moving forward.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I agree, but the 'second mortgage' in this case is a 0% no payment loan that is forgiven after x years...its not like i have to make payments on it or anything if i expect to actually live here x years.

The main reason im looking into this now is that my income is about to go over the amount that i would be able to get any kind of first time buyer assistance, so if im ever going to want to use that advantage, I have to look into it now.

azith28 on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    From the website of that program, there are a bunch of county-specific pricing/income limitations that likely come into play.

I'd find a reputable lender to get their perspective.

Enc on
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    It’s not really 0% if they’re going to add 1% to your mortgage interest rate for the life of the mortgage? On the total balance of the mortgage you’re going to pay more in interest than the assistance would be. Most likely several times over.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    you're also likely going to have to pay PMI if you don't have enough to cover the minimum percentage down in cash. So your total expense still goes up.

• Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    Bankrate.com has a handy mortgage calculator that you can plug in numbers and see amounts for. You can also use this calculator if you want to see the amortization table.

• Options
    It’s not really 0% if they’re going to add 1% to your mortgage interest rate for the life of the mortgage? On the total balance of the mortgage you’re going to pay more in interest than the assistance would be. Most likely several times over.

And thats the entire reason for this post. I figure that there is a certain amount of purchase price where you start losing money. I'm trying to determine where it is.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Without PMI or mortgage interest deduction considered, your cheapest house, 170k price (136k mortgage) at a 3.5 interest rate will cost you $28,220.85 in interest to reduce the down payment by $8500

edit: which I guess makes it somewhere around 11% interest loan, if you were to consider it that way

edit: I punched in the numbers for a $15,000 house and it cost you $2500 over the life of the loan to reduce the down payment by $750. So there appears to be no purchase price where you don't lose money

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Depending on where in Ohio and what your income is, you could also look into USDA rural development loans. The map for where they're allowed is actually pretty generous in a lot of places. They allow loans with as low as 0% down payment AND no PMI requirement. They have two programs, Single Family Housing Direct Home Loans for low/very low income, and Single Family Housing Guaranteed Loan Program for low to moderate income.

Edit: At least from that snippet, adding 0.5 or 1% to your first mortgage just seems like a really bad idea that will end up costing way more on the house in the long term unless you plan on paying it off way earlier than the original term.

Daenris on
  • Options
    Thats what i figured. *sigh*. Thanks for the information. Well at least I don't feel like i need to hurry. I was thinking this year would have been the last before i hit some limits for some help of some kind, but apparently there arent as many programs out there as a expected for first time home buyers. (at the moment at least).

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    you're also likely going to have to pay PMI if you don't have enough to cover the minimum percentage down in cash. So your total expense still goes up.
    You generally have to pay PMI (less you can afford 20% down and most people cannot). It's pretty much a requirement for everything that isn't a VA loan.

But a house that isn't under warranty is going to require fixes and repairs, even a house that is in good condition. Assume first year you are going to spend $1.15 per square foot in repairs year one, and 80 cents per square foot in repairs each year after. If your house is over 25 years, add 15 cents a square foot.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Without PMI or mortgage interest deduction considered, your cheapest house, 170k price (136k mortgage) at a 3.5 interest rate will cost you $28,220.85 in interest to reduce the down payment by $8500

edit: which I guess makes it somewhere around 11% interest loan, if you were to consider it that way

edit: I punched in the numbers for a $15,000 house and it cost you $2500 over the life of the loan to reduce the down payment by $750. So there appears to be no purchase price where you don't lose money

Not that it matters in this case, but money upfront is different than money over time. Inflation, the possibility of asset appreciation, investing, ect..., all mean that it's possible to convert some money now into more money later. So it's possible that taking the assistance upfront would be a net positive even if you pay more over time than the single amount upfront. That being said I didn't crunch any numbers and 11% interest is likely much higher than any return you would get from appreciation, inflation, ect...

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    localh77localh77 Registered User regular
    The other thing is that presumably as soon as you hit seven years, you'd refinance and drop the extra percent. You'd be at the mercy of whatever the interest rates are at the time; could be higher, and theoretically could be lower. It would still probably cost more over time than it would save up front, but not by such a big margin. And if it's the difference between being able to buy and not, it could certainly be worth it.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    It's not the worst idea, if and only if, you can refinance to an equivalent rate once the loan is forgiven. This is going to be simplified to account for a large amortization schedule up front, ie paying no principle for the first seven years (this is unrealistic, but trying to paint a broad picture here). Paying down the principle would make this deal better than these numbers would imply.

Take $100,000 house, which you get 5% down payment for. $95,000 mortgage, with a $5,000 downpayment.
    You would pay an additional 1% on that $95,000 for seven years = $950 extra per year. $950x7 = $6,650 extra paid over the 7 years.
    If you discount the $5,000 value forgiven, you get $1,650 extra paid over the seven years. If you amortize that over 7 years, it's ~$236 extra per year, when divided by $5000 is equivalent to 4.7% annual interest on that $5,000. To be honest, most personal loans for something like this is about on par if you have excellent credit. If your credit is only fair or bad, this is only about half to a quarter interest you'd be paying on a personal loan.

tldr; I could see it making sense for people with only bad to fair credit who don't have access to some sort of loan to obtain a down-payment, and they were able to refinance on at least equal terms in seven years. Otherwise if you have good to excellent credit, there's easier alternatives for you. This deal gets even better if you account for principle reduction over the seven years, but I wanted to stay simple with the math.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    in addition to ignoring the favorable effect of principal payment there, you're ignoring the unfavorable effects of PMI and compounding interest, and the further favorable effect of tax deductible mortgage interest.

I'm skeptical this it ever makes sense to do this if putting 20% down is a viable option. If you're going to be paying the same PMI either way, it might make sense given a confluence of unlikely but plausible circumstances.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Oh yeah, I just assumed anybody considering this wouldn't be able to come up with 20% down to avoid the FHA loan with PMI. Probably a bunch of income/price checks on this type of program anyways, so I figured it would be safe to assume it would be an FHA loan. \

Edit: I don't think this is that bad of a program to be honest. If you can refinance as soon as the balance is forgiven, it's essentially a personal loan of up to 5% of the purchase price for down payment with an annual APY of 4.7% which bypasses all credit and debt to income ratio checks that it would take to get a personal loan. If it gets people to buy a home and the other benefits (all else being equal) such as the first time home buyers credits, mortgage interest deduction, which they wouldn't be able to get otherwise, I think it's a much much better deal.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    Keep in mind interest rates are low right now. If they go up even one percent in the next seven years it's back to being an eleven percent rate on that loan.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    in addition to ignoring the favorable effect of principal payment there, you're ignoring the unfavorable effects of PMI and compounding interest, and the further favorable effect of tax deductible mortgage interest.

I'm skeptical this it ever makes sense to do this if putting 20% down is a viable option. If you're going to be paying the same PMI either way, it might make sense given a confluence of unlikely but plausible circumstances.

I wouldn't expect to deduct any mortgage interest on a mortgage of the size being discussed

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

The purchase price doesn't matter. The length of the loan does. It increases interest rates by 1%, in return for decreasing the amount needed by 5%.

Length of mortgage: extra amount you'll be paying over the life of the loan as a percent of the base price of the house
    30 year: 10%
    20 year: 5%
    10 year: 0% (just slightly below 0)
    This means that if you can manage a 10 year loan, this might make sense. (Assuming I did the math right.)

However:
    * Even at 10 years, it's basically a wash, and is probably still not worth it if you end up with any extra fees.
    * If you qualify for this you probably can't handle a 10 year mortgage.
    * It keeps you from moving for 7 years, and you never know what the future holds. A regular mortgage is bad enough at this.