As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CSS Wizards Help - Wordpress Site

EncEnc A Fool with CompassionPronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
So, as most of you all know, I make D&D maps and post them on the internet here:
https://falleron.com/

Recently I switched to this current theme (called Natural) which is pretty great in all ways but one. The blog sucks in display formatting. On the front page (see the link above) there is a really tight and good looking "featured posts" area with my latest three posts with a featured tag displaying. They are nice and limited in verticle size, with the feature image displayed on the left and my initial text in the post displayed on the right. This looks really great and I like it a lot.

The blog itself, though, is garbage: https://falleron.com/blog/
It displays the images at a huge resolution and above the image.

What I would love to do is make the blog look like the featured newspost section, but with how Wordpress works I can't access the CSS outside of the customizer (which allows me to replace existing code or add code, but not see the actual CSS code used in the theme). Unfortunately, the Natural Wordpress theme support requires paying a monthly fee to request support beyond what I am already paying for Wordpress, and no other poster seems to have had a problem with the blog.

At this point I am debating if this is something that is even doable and if I should change themes to find one that makes browsing through my recent posts easier (or, alternatively, throwing my hands up in the air and just abandoning making the blog readable).

Any suggestions here are appreciated!

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    What do you mean when you say
    The blog itself, though, is garbage: https://falleron.com/blog/
    It displays the images at a huge resolution and above the image.
    It looks fine to me, or at least not obviously broken:
    8LhMybu.png
    If I make it narrower, the main content shrinks; if I make it wider from there, there's a max.size for the images of 1024px, and once things have got that big, if I make it any larger the main content stays the same size the woodgrain area on the sides expands. What do you want to look different?

Which device/browser are you using? (the shots are above are latest desktop chrome, for reference; incognito mode to make sure there's no adblockers or whatnot getting in the way)

djmitchella on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    No, I get the responsive font by device. On mobile its fine.

What I think I meant to say there is that the featured image displays in huge fashion on the blog page on the tablet and desktop resolutions. The left is the front page featured post section with the most recent map post, the right is the blog page of the same content. At the same desktop and tablet resolution.

2ptq8r1kqyw7.png

Which is where my problem with it is. If folks want to look at my last 20 posts to see what I've done, the style on the left (from the featured post section) gets the job done a lot better than the style on the right (as I would rather they open up the post to see the full size image).

Enc on
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Oh, I get it, you want to use the overview part of the theme in the list-of-posts view as well. Sorry, I don't know how you'd do that, it seems like it's a wordpress issue, and I don't know how wordpress itself works.

If you can override the CSS somehow, then you can just add something like 'max-width: 320px' to the setting for the 'feature-img' class, and that'll make the images smaller; if you also add "float:left" and "margin-right: 24px" there, it'll start to look a bit more like what you're after, though you'll probably want to do more work, these are just quick hacks. (this was just using the chrome devtools to play around, though -- how you get this into wordpress is still beyond me).

jjLVI7V.png

0kki6jM.png?1

• Options
    Thanks for the help! That worked exactly as expected on the blog page and looked great.

Unfortunately, after using the CSS replacer the theme is apparently using the same things for a ton of shit. Moving anything with that destroys the portfolio and a number of other things.

Ah well, this can be closed.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    If you can add a class to the css file and just copy the one you like that should work. Sorry don't know WordPress.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    That's the problem, really. Wordpress hides your actual CSS file and only lets you add over-ride code in a "customizer."

If I had access the source I would just build from scratch. Sadly that's not an option unless I pay three times a month what I have now, which isn't in the cards.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    ugh that sucks. Sorry.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm not a wordpress user, so perhaps this is way off base. I found https://css-tricks.com/methods-overriding-styles-wordpress/ which seems to suggest a couple of options for overriding styles more directly. The one that I think might match your case is creating a child theme.

If I'm understanding that right you could then use the full power of CSS rules to specifically target the element you need and apply the styling that djmitchella suggested. I'm posting from a tablet so haven't dug through your source, but based on the screenshot above, it looks like just applying to the .feature-img class would do it.

If you're having issues because that particular class is used elsewhere, then you could probably make it specific to feature images within posts using a Decendant Selector. e.g.
    .post .feature-img {
       // djmitchella's styles
    }

orthanc