As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

...and now, a Tekken adaptation!

ZahaladeenZahaladeen Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
You have to ask yourself, "Could it be worse than Mortal Combat? Or the slag-bonanza known as DOA?"

The story seems a little off, according to the article. Does it jive with the fluff?

LINK: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/071220j.php

STORY: Dwight Little ("Rapid Fire," "Murder at 1600") has been been set to direct "Tekken," a futuristic martial arts actioner based on the bestselling Japanese vidgame from Namco reports Variety.

"The film plays out as a science fiction story set in the near future, about a rebel who rises up against the Tekken Corp. to seize freedom for his people. It's a gladiator story, but the videogame has a complicated enough storyline that it provides the template for a martial arts spectacular" says Little.

Alan McElroy wrote the script. Crystal Sky Pictures is financing the film, which begins production February 4th in Shreveport, Louisiana.

/discuss

Zahaladeen on

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    "The King of Iron Fist Tournament: Enter the Tekken."

So many hours of entertainment in college.

The story always seemed wasted in the games, since nobody ever paid attention to it, except in the character finales.

It probably won't be any good, but it might be fun. I actually liked DOA because it knew that it was a stupid video game movie and didn't try to be anything else or take itself seriously. The first Mortal Kombat movie took the opposite track by playing straight as a supernatural Enter the Dragon knock-off (which is what the game is), and that worked well enough. Plus: Christopher Lambert as Raiden? BWA HA HA HA. The second in that series made me want to die, though (they had to get a replacement actor for Christopher Lambert. That's about when you realize that your movie sucks an uncommonly large amount).

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The first Mortal Kombat movie was sweet, I thought Christopher Lambert was an awesome Raiden. And sweet music too, I loved it when I was a kid.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wasn't there already an anime movie?

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    The first Mortal Kombat movie was sweet, I thought Christopher Lambert was an awesome Raiden.

Oh, it was an inspired casting choice. Some of Lambert's most memorable roles were pretending to be an asian badass: He used a katana in Highlander and became a samurai (& bagged Joan Chen) in The Hunted.

It's just hilarious that the Japanese god of thunder is played by a white French guy.
    Wasn't there already an anime movie?

Yes, but that never stopped them.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I actually liked the DoA movie. I watched it with a couple beers and a bunch of friends, several of whom played the game, though only one as much as I. Drunkenness and male camaraderie made it ever so excellent.

As I was leaving the theater the other day, I saw an ad for In the Name of the King which I thought looked okay, until i saw the director. I checked the listings on it, and there were names in there it made me sad to see in a Boll film. Like John Rhys Davies. How did he get Gimli!?
    Not to mention Burt Reynolds and Ron Perlman.

Edit: The Ad was a standee, not a trailer. So my assumption of quality was based merely on a big slab of cardboard. I hadn't even read a plot synopsis.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Zahaladeen wrote: »
    You have to ask yourself, "Street Fighter:The Movie?"

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007

As I was leaving the theater the other day, I saw an ad for In the Name of the King which I thought looked okay, until i saw the director. I checked the listings on it, and there were names in there it made me sad to see in a Boll film. Like John Rhys Davies. How did he get Gimli!?
    Not to mention Burt Reynolds and Ron Perlman.

The same way he got Ben fucking Kingsley for Bloodrayne: When he schedules a shoot, he looks at what actors are currently between jobs, and sends them an offer. Most actors don't give a rat's ass what their name is attached to if there's a paycheck involved.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is Andy Serkis going to play Gon? or Kuma? :P

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Is Andy Serkis going to play Gon? or Kuma? :P

I would cast him as the fucking kangaroo.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm not watching if there's no Yoshimitsu.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png