As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USB Ports FUBAR'd?

Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
Ok, so apparently my USB ports will recognize relatively old stuff. But everything new (like my external harddrive I'm trying to connect) asks for some software that, apparently, I don't have. I don't remember uninstalling anything and its really frustrating.

Any ideas?

sig-1.jpg
Penguin_Otaku on

• Options
    RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's possible that you are trying to connect your new devices through USB 1.1 ports, which look very similar to USB 2.0 slots, but move at a much slower pace, causing some newer devices not to be recognized correctly by your computer.

Ravenger on
    <@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What OS are you running? How old is your computer? Do you have USB 2.0 ports?

If you have 2k or later, try nuking your USB root hubs.

Go to device manager
    Expand "Universal Serial Bus Controllers"
    Uninstall "USB ROOT HUB"
    Reboot
    Try again.

Failing that, update your chipset drivers.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Windows XP, computer must be about... 3 years old? It's a DELL.

My uncle's explanation was that some older computers didn't send enough juice to the device to get it to run. But the thing is, I can get it to run and everything and the computer is all, "Hey. Device."

The problem lies in that Windows XP's beloved "PLUG-N-PLAY" will do the PLUG part, but it NEVER finds software automatically and always asks me to let it find the software on its own or it asks me to install it from a CD or something. All of the things I'm having problems with DON'T come with CDs or drivers because they should be plug-n-play.

Thanks for this information, though I'll go back and try it.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    PrimesghostPrimesghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you are running anything prior to XP Service Pack 2 then you will need to update to SP2 through Windows Update and then reinstall the USB root hub because it sounds like you might need the 2.0 drivers.

Primesghost on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I've using SP2 and I'm using 2.0 ports (well, I'm unsure, but I've used all of the ports to no avail.)

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Why do computers have 1.0 ports and 2.0? My printer says it is connected to a much slower port and to connect it to a 2.0 and it is a brand new computer.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    EL, you may not have installed the USB2 drivers properly.

sonictk on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I haven't had to install USB 2.0 drivers on any machine in like, 4 years. USB2 drivers came with XP SP1a, as in, they are built in.

I'd try killing the root hub as people have mentioned and rebooting.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Fuck.. so I killed the roothub. Now what? I don't think anything changed.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Your mobo drivers may not be installed correctly ergo USB2 doesn't work this was the case on my vista machine actually. As in the drivers on the mobo CD maybe screwed up during installation.

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So how does this explain that certain things work, but others don't?

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg