As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Server Case Fan, Mother Board OS Compatibility

deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
I have an old server case that's been setting a few years and fired it up. One of the case fans made some noise and had trouble starting up the first time. After running a bit, the center of the fan is hot. Is this ok or should I replace it?

Anyone know if a Supermicro X7SB4/e motherboard will work with server 2012 R2?

Thanks!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Case fans are cheap. Replace it and avoid the possibility of disaster.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Center of the fan getting hot probably means the bearings are shot.
    Replace it. It's much cheaper than replacing a processor or pretty much any other part of a computer.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I have an old server case that's been setting a few years and fired it up. One of the case fans made some noise and had trouble starting up the first time. After running a bit, the center of the fan is hot. Is this ok or should I replace it?

If we assume it ran fine back in the time most likely it is the lubrication that have dried out, so the bearing is therefore running hot. If your keen you might be able to lube it and bring it back to life, but the safe way it to replace the fan. Unless it is something really special like super powerful and super silent and new one will cost almost nothing.

Anyone know if a Supermicro X7SB4/e motherboard will work with server 2012 R2?

Thanks!

Most likely. Check the CPU against the requirements from Microsoft and also make sure you have sufficient memory. If there is not much memory you still may get the thing going, but most likely it will then be a slow performer - like imagine a runner wearing a bucket of cement on one foot.

You could consider going Linux instead. It tends to do better with older hardware than Windows.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Thanks for the replies!

I have the fan unplugged for now, will probably replace. Just wasn't sure if it being hot was normal or not.

Trying to make old hardware do new tricks to save some $. Looking to upgrade 2 2008 servers to 2012 without getting new hardware. They're low usage servers (mostly file/print servers running AD, DNS, DHCP with 4-12 users each).

Hoping to use the old server in question as a testing ground for settings in 2012 R2 before sending said settings out onto the production servers.

deathnote666 on