As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old comic idea, worth re-exploring?

StudioZELStudioZEL ConnecticutRegistered User regular
edited November 2006 in Artist's Corner
Hallo.

I've been in something of an artistic rut for a while now, and I decided to look at some of my older works for a little inspiration, and I came across a manga my friend Matt and I worked on back in '04 for one of the TokyoPop competitions. Well looking at the work today obviously the artwork is in serious need of retooling (the layouts could use a lot work as well...) but what I was wondering was, is this idea worth re-exploring?

I've uploaded the manga here.

http://www.studio-zel.com/images/SirenBlade/

Is this fun and interesting? Or incredibly generic and boring?

Thoughts please.

StudioZEL on

• Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAND!

The art is pretty generic.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    My heart is filled with a billion sighs. The art is just so

sigh

It prevents me from reading any further than the first few pages, really.

I'll try to read more and get back to you. It's just that

you know

sigh

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    There's not much point in commenting on the art because it's old stuff.

The premise itself? Goddamn that's generic, there's nothing there to hold my interest, because I've seen it all before. It's really paint by numbers storyline. If you wanted to reuse it you'd have to rework it in a large way so it was something unique.

Overall right now it's somewhere between :| and D: for me.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zel wrote:
    Old comic idea, worth re-exploring?

No

RubberAC on
  • Options
    StudioZELStudioZEL ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Thanks for the feedback. Admins, feel free to lock this thread.

StudioZEL on
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You need a killer hook. Something that explains the premise

For example, take a look at some comics hooks -

40 days of night- "What happens when vampires appear in a town in Alaska, where the night is 40-days long?"

Preacher- What if a holy man with a and past was given the voice of god, and could command all?

Invincible- What would hapen if a superman-like hero had a son,and his son found out his father's real mission was to enslave the earth?

You need a hook. Even looking at manga, the most succesful ones ahve great hooks. Take GANTZ, people stuck in a real life video game where they must survive and get points. Trigun, two insurance saleswomen chase after the world's most wanted man, little do they know he has a bad past and kills noone,and so on and on.

The art is easily evolved, but whatmissing in your story is the hook.

Make your story into one small sales pitch. Read it again and again. Does it sound unique?

Here's some interesting hooks, for you, off my head.

A caveman who was unfrozen ets hooked on LA law,and passes law school, and begins hiscarrer as a lawyer.
    From that, issues and issues of comic material is there. Imagine a hunter-gatherer mind in a coutroom. Imagine his rise to fame. His brilliant sppeches with lack of vocabulary.

How about another one?
    A story that reveals all butlers to be part of some super-secret society for the defense of the powrful and important. They must eliminate those trying to kill their masters, but must do it in secrecy.
    Small aint it? but then, thousands of pages can be made, on each butler, each hilarious attempt at saving the rich without the rich noticing it, heck we could even toss in an evil group, NANNIES, who are bent on killing the butlers?

All you need is a hook. A simple line, that pushes the premise. Mine current project has a 8-word hook, yet Ive got more than 900 pages written down. Start with the hook.

JCM on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    I think we all agree. Old generic concept. Come up with something new.

Grifter on
This discussion has been closed.