As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cat Friendly Air Freshener Spray!

SiskaSiska ShortyRegistered User regular
edited July 2018 in Help / Advice Forum
We found an outdoor kitten and brought her home. After almost 2 weeks of gentle coaxing she finally figured out what a litter box is for. The litter box is now in our bathroom where we tend to use citrus scented air freshener a lot. I'm worried that the smell is going to act as a repellent and encourage her to find somewhere else to do her business. I'm hoping there is an alternative cat friendly air freshener out there. But when I try to google it all that comes up is pee stain remover and cat repellents. Anyone got any recommendations for air freshner that should not scare away cats?

This is Boot de Doink
qo6lqdtq01q7.jpg
We think she is about 10 weeks old. We found her on July 5th, digging through some 4th of July backyard party garbage. We asked the home owner if she was theirs and they said no and that she had been showing up begging for food and attention for about a week. She was very lethargic and sneezed a lot so we took her with us to decide what to do with later. By the next day we had decided to keep her instead of turning her in to a shelter and booked an appointment with a vet but couldn't schedule a time until next Wednesday. That wait felt like forever. She was a lot less active then what's normal for a kitten and sneezed all the time. Because of not being certain of her age and health we did not dare to deworm or do anything medical to her before her check up. But she would play a bit now and then and her appetite was ok but not great. Many many small meals. And she didn't seem to be getting worse.

Wednesday came around and she got her (first) check up. My husband found it even more scary then the kitten. They dewormed her, ran some tests (She does not have FIV, yay) and gave us some meds for upper respiratory and ear infections. She was not well enough to be vaccinated right away. So we got another visit scheduled for next week. The meds made a noticeable difference. The sneezing mostly stopped and she now runs around playing like a normal kitten.

Litterbox training was a hassle. She did not seem to understand the concept. Which was not surprising since when we first found her she peed the middle of a lawn, right in front of us. So that was what she was used to. She just leaped out of the box right away when we put her in it. So we bought puppy pee pads and placed them on spots were she favored going to the bathroom. And put a tiny amount of kitty litter in chinese food take out lid trays on top pf the pads so that she would learn to associate the activity with kitty litter. Then we put her intended litter box in a spot where she would walk by a lot and put some of her pee in it and just hoped she would figure out the puzzle. This Sunday she finally used the litter box for the first time and seems to have been consistently using it since. Even after we moved it to the bathroom, yesterday. So yaaay!

Siska on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Anything without a citrus (or any other kind of weighty) smell/chemical should be fine.In my experience citrus is the one thing that will make them think twice 100% of the time. It is a little kitty anathema.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    If the air freshener is just to get rid of the cat poop smell, I've found a covered litter box helps quite a bit. I currently have a litter-robot and it's the most expensive litter box I've ever seen, but I'd buy one every year if I had to.

Use clay so they're encouraged to dig / bury and avoid stuff with scents or crystals at least initially. I found that just about anything that isn't citrus or citronella works really well as long as it doesn't have an overpowering scent... cats like having their stink on things so they know it's theirs, if the box is cleaned and sanitized too often they'll give up on it being their spot and start pooping under your couch or something.

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    The spray is for human and cat poop smell!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Huh, I have a citrus spray we use specifically for the area where the cat boxes are. One of em quite often takes what I can only describe as "Turbo Shits", and I use the spray as a relief from the smell between box cleanings. Never really noticed it bothering any of my cats.

Edit: I suppose I should note that my cats are fuckin weird... One of them absolutely loves the smell of bleach. I have to stand watch after washing the tile floor because the dummy will run in there and roll all over the tiles if I dont.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    All Air fresheners are straight up toxic to pets (they've been linked to asthma in cats and dogs). Essential oil and citrus are also frequently a stressfactor (or straight up toxic). So don't use them.

However there are two things that can help with smells:
    1. Baking soda. Put baking soda in a jar with a perforated lid and it will neutralize smells.
    2. An air purifier (you know, the type you might have in your house if you're an asthmatic) will definitely reduce smell if the previous step isn't enough. Pick one with a low noise level.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I do the baking soda thing. Baking soda is pretty good stuff.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    I concur with the baking soda suggestions. It worked with this guy's poop.
    9qltudwobbg1.jpg

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    They also make unscented febreze for odor elimination

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    They also make unscented febreze for odor elimination

That might work

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If she managed to pee on anything fabric wise before you got her to litter box, take it and wash it with apple cider vinegar, will break the smell of cat pee from the item, and prevent her from smelling it on that item in the future and thinking she can pee on it.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    We are not looking for pee stain remover. Just something to cover human and cat bathroom smells.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    My bathroom is Texas large, but I use incense with the vent on to clear the bathroom of the smell when I change the litter. Never seemed to bother the fuzzball and with the vent on it doesn't accumulate much anyway. My cat gives no fucks about anything thats not food, though.

• Options
    Boot got her vaccinations today. She cried a bit in the car and then dealt with the whole unpleasant experience by power napping at the vets office!
    dhvxwwyg1eh2.jpg

I'll check the store for lavender and and vanilla. Right now we are using some apple pie scented spray that we had available.