As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What kind of fruit is this?

CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
edited July 2018 in Help / Advice Forum
Any one know what kind of fruit this is? We originally thought loquat but the seeds are way closer to lemon seeds. Taste is tart and herbaceous and the skin is thin with flesh like an apricot. They were growing out of a tall bush at my local community college's garden. We're in socal if that helps.

Carpy on

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Power to you if you ate it before you knew what it was... Is the skin smooth or fuzzy, and does it have multiple seeds per fruit or just one?

• Options
    Skin is smooth and multiple seeds. I counted 4 with maybe another underdeveloped one.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Man that's really confusing. It certainly doesn't look like a citrus fruit, it doesn't have the thicker skin or the sectioning you'd expect. Is there a pit/stone in the center AND smaller seeds? Or only smaller seeds? I ask because there appears to be a hollow in the center of the fruit you have photographed where you'd expect the stone to be.

Edit: Maybe a Saijo persimmon?

X844tUA.jpg
    (if it is a Saijo persimmon, it's probably underripe)

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    From the outside it looks kinda-sorta like a yellow tamarillo, which is said to have a lemony taste, but the seeds inside those are not lemon-like, but tomato like.

I've been searching one of my favorite Youtube channels, Weird Fruit Explorer to see if I can find a match and here's his discussion of tamarillos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRR_W1MD0tk

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    It's only the smaller seeds. The hollow is actually a white membrane that extends from the stem and surrounds the seeds.

Underripe persimmon might be it, the seeds definitely seem similar. They came from a well tended bush in a garden designed for students to wander in and pick fruit so maybe tracking down a grounds keeper will solve it.

• Options
    That's a fun video but the insides of this one definitely don't look anything like the tamarillo.

• Options
    Ok, based on your description of the seeds, sounds like it could be Mexican hawthorn.

nKUFbqs.jpg

Here's the Weird Fruit Explorer video on that one for a flavor description (as well as what you can do with it, if you have a mind towards cooking):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajGBze4hNyU

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Any one know what kind of fruit this is? We originally thought loquat but the seeds are way closer to lemon seeds. Taste is tart and herbaceous and the skin is thin with flesh like an apricot. They were growing out of a tall bush at my local community college's garden. We're in socal if that helps.

Is there someone at the local community college that works on the garden you could ask?

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    If it were an unripened persimmon you'd STILL be trying to rinse your mouth out.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I have spent two obsessive hours on this and read way more than I ever planned to read about fruit anatomy.

My biggest concern is your use of the word bush. Based on the picture, it is most similar to a true berry but none of the most common edible berries come from bushes. They all come from trees.

It is a rando true orange berry if it came from a bush. A cross section of the berry would also show nicely if it is a persimmon.