As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Case Against Harvey Weinstein

AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened OptimistThe Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
This is a thread ONLY about the case against Harvey Weinstein. This is not a general sexual harassment thread. It is not for other forms of misconduct.

There were three charges brought against Harvey Weinstein. Now, there are two. And it is sounding like those are on increasingly shaky ground.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/17/676803400/weinstein-seeks-dismissal-of-sexual-assault-case-in-possible-metoo-setback
Joseph Giacalone, a former NYPD detective sergeant who's written a textbook for investigators, points to several missteps identified by prosecutors and disclosed to the defense team.

"I believe the case is going nowhere," Giacalone said.

For one thing, prosecutors say Detective DiGaudio encouraged one of the accusers to delete some personal data off her phones before she turned them over to police. Giacalone says that makes it look like there might have been evidence on the phones that could make her look bad.
The NYPD called the evidence against Weinstein "compelling and strong" and declined to make DiGaudio available for an interview. The police union disputes the district attorney office's version of this story, saying the information was handed over but was "forgotten or ignored" by prosecutors.
"I understand that folks are outraged by his behavior," Vance explained two years later, when more women had come forward to accuse Weinstein of sexual misconduct. "I understand there are many other allegations that have surfaced. But in our case, we really did what the law obligates us to do."

Fast-forward to 2018, and Vance filed charges against Weinstein. But then prosecutors started to have doubts about part of the case.

In October, they disclosed their concerns about Detective DiGaudio to the defense. Weinstein's lawyers pushed to have the charge relating to Lucia Evans's allegations dismissed. And in an unusual move, prosecutors agreed to drop that count.
"You've got prosecutors who are more concerned about whether they win or lose than trying to hold one of these people accountable," Goldberg said.

The district attorney, Cy Vance, has been painted in the New York press as someone who won't go after the rich and powerful. Goldberg thinks that's what's happening in the Weinstein case.
On Thursday, a judge in New York will hear arguments about whether the case against Harvey Weinstein can go forward.

I highly recommend reading the whole article. But the TL:DR is that Weinstein's case is getting shaky. And to be frank, I'm not surprised. He is an extremely powerful man, and is leveraging every advantage he has.

So, where does this case go? If someone with such compelling evidence gets off, what precedent does that set?

Again: This is about the specific cases against Harvey Weinstein, and the various parties involved in his indictment.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The only reason that it's "getting shaky" is because of the double standard we put on victims of sexual assault, that hot gooseshit like what that one former NYPD detective said (PROTIP: Giving up evidence to show that you were sexually assaulted does not mean that you have to surrender everything (and I bet you that he doesn't suggest that Weinstein giving lawyer vetted releases has any sort of implications)) is taken at face value instead of being called out for the gooseshit it is, that Cy Vance is a corrupt DA who needs to resign, and that Weinstein can hire lawyers who are willing to do whatever it takes to win.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I don't think that if Weinstein gets off it will ultimately change all that much. It will be disappointing and some amount of people will be discouraged I'm sure but Weinstein's reputation seems set at this point and #MeToo has grown beyond his case. I don't think it sets any sort of precedent that doesn't already exist.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I don't think that if Weinstein gets off it will ultimately change all that much. It will be disappointing and some amount of people will be discouraged I'm sure but Weinstein's reputation seems set at this point and #MeToo has grown beyond his case. I don't think it sets any sort of precedent that doesn't already exist.

I picture him as being able to retaliate on levels that many of us can't comprehend. But that might be my irrational fear talking.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

A lot of it will hinge on the reaction of when he tries to come back. Because you know he will.

If the response isn't an overwhelming "Fuck no!", to him, the idea, and to any corporation that thought it was a good idea, that's when he'll have gotten away with it.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Athenor wrote: »

I picture him as being able to retaliate on levels that many of us can't comprehend. But that might be my irrational fear talking.

I think that would be true regardless of what happens in this case.

And I don't think there's anything irrational about that. I mean, the entire meat and potatoes of what Weinstein did is him assaulting women and then retaliating against them unless they were like 100% compliant to his monstrous whims.

shryke on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Via every news outlet ever but here's ABC:
    JUST IN: Judge declines to dismiss charges against Harvey Weinstein.
    If convicted of all charges he faces life in prison. So here we go.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh Thank God.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    God, I hope he gets life in prison and lives to be 100.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.