As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Sentry anyone?

Gloss GreenGloss Green Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Graphic Violence
There was just something to the story of an everyman who finds out he's much more. The whole Stan Lee "maybe it happened, maybe it didn't" thing really worked for the series too. The message of the book is pretty cool too. I like the "greatest evil is within" type ending that they did. One couldn't live without giving the other life too. Wow.

Gloss Green on

• Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    the sentry was pretty sweet until, at the height of his anger and (presumably) power, he got punched a mile by ms marvel

i don't care if you've absorbed a nuke or not, that shit don't fly

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    I haven't read the original Sentry series but I kind of liked the "lost history" aspect of the character when he was first introduced. In practice though, I hate the Sentry being a part of the Avengers. They either have to keep finding ways to Nerf him and take him out or, from what they've shown us, he should be able to mop the floor with pretty much anybody.

DMAC on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sentry works so much better in character driven stories.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Did someone call me?

Ha ha... I kid...

and I had this name way before psycho-superman got it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Sentry mini is so good.

I love the fact that he was this perfect hero who made everyone's life great, but because of the Void, he was better off forgotten.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Bob don't you sell Carol Danvers short.

Cause you know what happens when you do that?

You get sucker-punched a mile

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Gloss GreenGloss Green Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I love the fact that he was this perfect hero who made everyone's life great, but because of the Void, he was better off forgotten.

That's what got me hooked in the first place. The original mini is in graphic novel form too. I don't know how long that has been out, but it's definitely a good read. Good character development and the whole 9 yards.

Gloss Green on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    sentry: reborn is the trade in question?

Angry on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2007
    the sentry is one of the two best things paul jenkins has created and he will never ever let anyone forget it

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    the sentry is one of the two best things paul jenkins has created and he will never ever let anyone forget it

Civil War: The Return

Why is Sentry in here?

WE DON'T KNOW

Bloods End on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

That's what got me hooked in the first place. The original mini is in graphic novel form too. I don't know how long that has been out, but it's definitely a good read. Good character development and the whole 9 yards.

I adore that one. Reborn is nice in its own way, but not a patch on the original. Most recent appearances make me cry a little inside.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's always been a bit of a remarkable story how Marvel has been able to include the Sentry into their universe without the fandom tearing apart the idea in riots as he's been common perceived as another Superman clone.

Cade on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm a sentry fan. I think they tried to make him a flawed clark kent or something, and I like it.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The original Sentry mini (as well as The Maxx - or the first third of it, at least) cemented in my mind what is perhaps my most favorite way to portray a superhero: possibly insane, not sure if he's truly a super-powered meta-being or just Average Joe with an inability to separate his inner world from the outer, and preferably homeless.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    comicgeek77comicgeek77 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i liked the premise when i first heard it. a silver age "forgotten" marvel hero wakes up modern day stuck in the past-you know, when they did it with captain america. the crazy angle has been done to death as well. not to mention the sales gimmic that sentry was a character stan lee inevented in the sixties and was never used which turned out to be a lie. i dont like the sentry just because he is a supes clone but because he is an amalgam of worn out ideas wrapped in a marketing gimmic that was pretty badly executed. the gay costume doesent help him either.

comicgeek77 on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think the best he's been handled since the original mini was in Silent War. The issue where he's torn by indecision on whether to join the fight and, in turn, draw Black Bolt into it, which would result in an Earth shattering outcome, or to stay on the sidelines and basically be a deterrent for Black Bolt not to join in. It was the first 'Sentry does nothing' issue that actually made sense and was believable for me.

KVW on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, that was good.

"Iron Man - What are you doing, Bob?! You have to stop him!

Sentry - No, Tony... that was just a whisper."

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Elevated Hand SlapElevated Hand Slap Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sentry mini= pure genius. But he should have been left alone after that.

Elevated Hand Slap on
    It could be worse. You could always have that wart checked.
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What would be interesting is if they could de-power him to a somewhat more normal level. He'd probably be one of the few characters to actually be thankful for it.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I actually do like the Sentry character a lot but he seems like a burden for any story in the Marvel Universe that isn't expressly written for him. Like the writing staff has to write around him because of how strong he is. They did an awesome job of it in Silent War but in Civil War? Not so much.
    I would really have loved to see Bob decide he was anti-registration but refused to fight against any of the heroes. He's the one guy who could openly resist registration while continuing to do good deeds without Tony being bale to lay a finger on him.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    I actually do like the Sentry character a lot but he seems like a burden for any story in the Marvel Universe that isn't expressly written for him. Like the writing staff has to write around him because of how strong he is. They did an awesome job of it in Silent War but in Civil War? Not so much.
    I would really have loved to see Bob decide he was anti-registration but refused to fight against any of the heroes. He's the one guy who could openly resist registration while continuing to do good deeds without Tony being bale to lay a finger on him.

I always thought the best way to make life difficult for a Sentry/Superman like charector is something akin to what Superman said in JLU, when he rips Darkside/Brainiac a new one. He states that he has never had an excuse to just let go before because he has to treat the world like tis made of wet cardboard.

So why not have Sentry do his saving the workd stuff but focuse on how he has to almost OCD save everything, like buidlings, people, cars, cats, trees, everthing AND not let the bad guy get away.

That would be intresting... at least to me.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    edited January 2008
    comicgeek, I will fight you. The costume is great (when it had the lightning bolts supporting the cape anyway).

Wildcat on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    For Civil War, they could have just explained that Sentry was too busy picking up the slack for the heroes who were in hiding, newly retired, or indisposed with the War to keep the world safe from villains and natural disasters.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008

The other one is Penance, right?

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2008
    hughtron wrote: »

The other one is Penance, right?

why did I say two

the only other thing he's done I'd consider good was the Inhumans miniseries he did

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    comicgeek77comicgeek77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    comicgeek, I will fight you. The costume is great (when it had the lightning bolts supporting the cape anyway).

you make a mean point-the bolts made the outfit way less gay. purple and yellow tights with a mullet doesnt look silly at all.

comicgeek77 on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I always preferred DC's Moon Maiden to Marvel's The Sentry, if only because her story was much more concise.

Unfortunately, DC completely abandoned her. Her debut was October 2000; Sentry was September 2000. Kind of similar and I wonder if there was any relation / theft of concept, or if it was just a coincidence.

In other news, the original historical-insert by ret-con, DC's Triumph will always be my top top choice for hero-inserted-by-retcon. He formed the Justice League!

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »

you make a mean point-the bolts made the outfit way less gay. purple and yellow tights with a mullet doesnt look silly at all.

Sigh.

Wildcat on