Options

Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds

GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
edited February 2019 in Social Entropy++
No one would have believed,
in the last years of the nineteenth century,
that human affairs were being watched from the timeless worlds of space.
No one could have dreamed that we were being scrutinized,
as someone with a microscope studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.
Few men even considered the possibility of life on other planets and yet,
across the gulf of space,
minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this Earth with envious eyes,
and slowly and surely,
they drew their plans against us.

Bam bam bammmmmm.

Hello! Did you know it has been 40 years since Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds was released?

Have you heard it before? When did you first hear it? Have you seen the live show?

War of the Worlds was the first album I bought, because it had a rad picture of a tripod melting a ship (the image in the youtube thumbnail). Also I was a fan of HG Wells at the time, though I must confess that I have never read the book.

Gvzbgul on

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    This is entirely my shit, yo!

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hioI4ywEvIY&index=3&list=PLjvXu6Sf7dZyeiq9pLXse0wYRQlZZ4uG2

Ulladubulla 2 is the sequel remix album. The first was tracks from the War of the Worlds video game (yes, there was a video game) and the second was a standalone album of remixes. I'd love it if they put out a third.

I tried picking favourites and it's pretty hard. But Eve of War is a classic.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    great record. and easy to find cheap on vinyl, with a beautifully illustrated booklet

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    My first and only DJ set heavily featured this album

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what I was expecting but a funky disco beat was not it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    The opening intro to War of the Worlds is probably my favorite passage from a book? It sets up the tone perfectly

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    I heard the original album 40 years ago; even used it as subject for a storytelling speech in front of the class when I was 11 or 12 or so, while flicking through the gorgeous paintings that were inside the LP booklet.

Read the book, and was amazed that is was different as it tells the story of the narator and his brother (so two different people on different locations).

I still have the PC game somewhere which had the fantastic soundtrack.

Saw the live version some 8 years ago, and was extremely impressed. The tripod on stage had a firethrower to simulate the heat ray :-) Jason Donovan as the Artilleryman was particularly good.

Bought the big “Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version of The War of the Worlds Collector’s Edition which is an big LP sized book, with the paintings, and 6 CDs and 1 DVD, which has a bunch of outtakes.

Saw the Tom Cruise movie and was extremely miffed, because America + Current Day + Kids + ...

TD;DR: An excellent album, extremely recommended!

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius