Options

Kenya (Not about lions)

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA mod
edited January 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
THE electoral commission of Kenya declared a winner in the country's bitterly fought presidential election on Sunday December 30th: the sitting president, Mwai Kibaki, was returned to power. The voting three days earlier had been impressively orderly and peaceful, raising hopes of a brighter future for Kenyan democracy. But the tallying process was a much darker story, with heavy suspicion of vote rigging and subsequent fears that serious violence could strike the country.

No one disputes that the opposition Orange Democratic Movement swept aside government parties in the parliamentary vote. Most of the ministers in the cabinet of Mr Kibaki lost their seats to Oranges, including the vice-president, foreign minister, and defence minister, and a number of previously unassailable and wealthy MPs.

And yet the same disgruntled voters apparently gave 76-year-old Mr Kibaki strong support in the presidential vote. The final tally, according to the electoral commission, handed Mr Kibaki 4.58m voters to 4.35m for the firebrand opposition candidate, Raila Odinga. Mr Odinga's supporters had earlier stated that he had won, suggesting a lead of some 500,000 votes. He claimed that the electoral commission was “being forced to declare wrong results” and called on its leaders to resign rather than plunge the country into chaos. The consequence of failing to recognise a “fair result”, he threatened, could be civil war.

Polls had indicated that the presidential election was going to be close. It was the manner in which Mr Kibaki crept up on Mr Odinga's solid lead that raised suspicions. Why, for instance, were votes from the president's loyal Kikuyu highlands of central Kenya held back to the end of the counting? Why had so many returning officers there gone missing, along with their results? Mr Kibaki, himself a Kikuyu, was expected to have overwhelming support from his kinsmen, but 98% looked excessive.

The head of a European Union team of observers, Alexander Graf Lambsdorff, promptly spoke about deep misgivings concerning the counting process. Diplomats in Nairobi, the capital, pointed the finger at the Kikuyu old guard, men who had feared that they would lose their fortunes if Mr Odinga had made it into State House. Even if Mr Kibaki's cronies are innocent of charges of vote rigging, he will have no national mandate: outside of the Kikuyu lands, Mr Kibaki was soundly beaten across the country, including in Nairobi.

There is a real chance of bloodletting between the Kikuyu, an ethnic group that has dominated politics and business in the decades since independence, and the Luo, led by Mr Odinga, who have been politically and economically marginalised. The fear now is that violence could erupt on a large scale in Luo strongholds in Nairobi and across western Kenya.

There are plenty of younger Kenyans, including those in business, who are desperate to avoid tribal polarisation. The immediate concern is whether Kenya's security forces can hold the line between rioters from opposing sides, most of them unemployed men armed with machetes and clubs, screaming death threats. Sporadic violence killed several people on Saturday. Looters stripped out shops in the western city of Kisumu. Mr Kibaki, who was immediately sworn in as president on Sunday, retakes office in the least auspicious of circumstances.
This will only end well if Kibaki steps down. Odinga is not the sort of man who'll go down quietly.

The brief, and extremely simplified candidates compare/contrast.

Odinga:
Rich, outsider, pro-devolution, Luo (somewhat relevant: friend of Obama, who is the son of a Luo).
Political history: Involved in a failed coup attempt in 1982 against Moi. Helped defeat Moi in the 2002 elections while supporting Kibaki's coalition. Now running against Kibaki with Moi's support.

Kibaki:
Rich, insider, anti-devolution, Kikuyu.
Political history: A minister since 1965, and 4 inglorious years as president where he didn't create the jobs he promised to, or tackle corruption.

The vague thing that I think should happen: Kibaki should be pressured into accepting whatever the monitors recommend. I'm not sure if a recount if feasible or not at this point.

Discuss!

smCQ5WE.jpg
Elki on

• Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I heard this was going to be an extremely contentious election, and shenanigans on the counting side just guarantee this is going to turn out poorly.

Tangential question, but what exactly do you devolution under the candidate descriptions? Typo for evolution, or something I'm just not catching?

werehippy on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Contentious? The death toll's up around 300, mate.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Contentious in Africa always equals a death toll.

Though I will admit last I heard it was still in the intimidation and driving out minorities in a region stage, not the killing stage. Not that those two are far apart at all.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Does your ISP filter google news, or something?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Are we really getting into a "you must be stupid to not know everything about current event X"?

Between the holidays, work, and personal matters, the time I do have to devote to checking on the news I split between the fallout from Bhutto's assassination and national politics to follow the Iowa primary that's happening tomorrow. My apologies for not being sufficiently worldly to have checked the one headline out of dozens related to Kenya more recently than a couple weeks ago.

Now, do you have anything of substance to add, or would you like to act superior a bit longer?

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yes, you're the only person on the whole forum with a life. How special you must feel.

No, seriously. If you're going to post in a thread about a current event, please at least spend five minutes scanning the headlines first. Otherwise you just look stupid and hamstring the thread from going anywhere more interesting than 'huuuuur-Africa lolz'.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    Tangential question, but what exactly do you devolution under the candidate descriptions? Typo for evolution, or something I'm just not catching?

Cry. Evolution is only an issue in the US, because half of you are insane.

Devolution means handing centralised government powers down to a regional level - it's a claim for local governance at its most benign, and a precursor for independence / secession at the most extreme. Not sure which is the case here.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Cry. Evolution is only an issue in the US, because the public discourse composed by Rupert Murdoch is insane.

Devolution means handing centralised government powers down to a regional level - it's a claim for local governance at its most benign, and a precursor for independence / secession at the most extreme. Not sure which is the case here.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Cry. Evolution is only an issue in the US, because half of you are insane.

I know it's USUALLY only a big issue in the US, but a lot of African churches (and unless I'm having a temporary brain fart Kenya's in particular) are notorious for being extremely conservative and making even our stupid religious crap look relatively benign.

I can't say I'd ever heard devolution used like that though, so thanks for the heads up.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'd say its about giving the local areas more governmental powers, which in this case translates to no longer having the Kikuyu tribe controlling the country to the detriment of the other groups.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I know it's USUALLY only a big issue in the US, but a lot of African churches (and unless I'm having a temporary brain fart Kenya's in particular) are notorious for being extremely conservative and making even our stupid religious crap look relatively benign.

I see, fair enough, but that's only really an issue for internal Anglican doctrinal debates between African dioceses and the UK hierarchy, it's not an issue within Kenya.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

I see, fair enough, but that's only really an issue for internal Anglican doctrinal debates between African dioceses and the UK hierarchy, it's not an issue within Kenya.

Fair enough :)

We could go on about exactly how I was wrong and why it seemed a good idea at the time, but we'll leave there since we're already pretty far tangentially.

werehippy on
  • Options
    PlutocracyPlutocracy regular
    edited January 2008
    I was thinking of making a post about this, but I thought it would be seen too "here's a link=discuss!" but hey there you go.
    The Cat wrote: »
    I'd say its about giving the local areas more governmental powers, which in this case translates to no longer having the Kikuyu tribe controlling the country to the detriment of the other groups.

This seems like a sensible suggestion, since I was under the impression the real cause of the violence is the fractured tribal relations that typify nearly every other African nation. Apparently Kenya has a larger middle class than many of its contemporaries but clearly the historic divisions between the various peoples the national borders tried to end have remained, simmering under the surface. Should consideration be made towards going beyond simple devolution and introducing new sovereign territories for certain regions or should every effort be made to try and maintain the current make-up of African states?

Plutocracy on
    They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I didn't think it was about sovereign territories, more establishing local councils and such. The other thing is the apparent dominance of the Kikuyu in business. I get the impression it can be hard to get a job if you don't have the right relatives, although most of the news coverage is pretty light on that kind of analysis right now.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I didn't mean to imply that current events were over such drastic measures. What I was suggesting is that since the national borders of countries like Kenya were not founded with much consideration, it might be pertinent to at least explore the idea of introducing new territories. Kosovo's example I feel has shown that sometimes you need to accept defeat as far as trying to integrate a hostile people into a state they have not belonged to until recently.

Plutocracy on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    A friend of mine, a guy I used to work with, is Kenyan. Really nice guy, taught me a lot about his country when we were killing time and shooting the breeze at work. He helped start a Kenyan friendship society here in town.

They just interviewed by the local news. Crying pretty hard because he just found out a friend of his was killed in the riots.

This blows.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm still curious as to which situation will defuse first: This or Pakistan.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Plutocracy wrote: »
    I didn't mean to imply that current events were over such drastic measures. What I was suggesting is that since the national borders of countries like Kenya were not founded with much consideration, it might be pertinent to at least explore the idea of introducing new territories. Kosovo's example I feel has shown that sometimes you need to accept defeat as far as trying to integrate a hostile people into a state they have not belonged to until recently.
    That's true enough, Africa's internal borders are pretty fucked. I don't think breaking a country up would work too well in Kenya though, especially not now, because most of the recent development in the country is around Nairobi, meaning the Kikuyu would keep the good stuff if the country broke up - and their current possession of the good stuff is kind of a key issue. Also, there's like forty tribes in the area, and they're pretty jumbled together in many places. Another problem tends to be transport route access - together with the border fuckery, Africa's larger established road and rail connections (which were largely built during the colonial period) don't connect internal areas terribly well. Their primary purpose was to move extractable resources from the interior to the coastal ports. Having a bunch of new and different checkpoints to pass would wreak havoc tradewise, I'd think. I don't know how well this geography 101 shit I'm dredging up from the back of my brain specifically applies, though.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Are the downsides to breaking countries up when they have such potentially violent breeds of nationalism running around inside really that bad compared to this kind of disintegration though?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Who knows. The country was stable a long time before this, though. Most of the rioters appear to be unemployed young men from the slums and poor rural areas. If the economy hadn't been stuffed around with by nepotism the last few years, they'd likely have far less to bust out the machetes over. I don't think the problems are anywhere near deep-seated or long-running enough to warrant talk of new nations here.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Are the downsides to breaking countries up when they have such potentially violent breeds of nationalism running around inside really that bad compared to this kind of disintegration though?

Instability jumps from country to country because the tribes are located in more than one state.

So breaking up Kenya isn't just breaking up Kenya.

And like Cat says, they've been too successful for too long to be talking about breaking up just yet.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Shinto wrote: »

Instability jumps from country to country because the tribes are located in more than one state.

So breaking up Kenya isn't just breaking up Kenya.

And like Cat says, they've been too successful for too long to be talking about breaking up just yet.

Well, yeah, nationalism is an ugly thing that transcends borders, that's kind of the problem.

Although I guess yeah, if they've been stable this long, that weighs pretty heavily...

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    You are using nationalism to mean tribal allegiance I take it?

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

They're pretty much interchangeable in the respects that I care to talk about.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I guess that's not the more common definition. Hm.

Okay, well, that definition. That's what I'm talking about.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008

They're pretty much interchangeable in the respects that I care to talk about.

If you say so.

I'd draw a distinction between nation states and stateless transnational nations in a discussion about political stability, but if you aren't interested in looking at things through that lens so be it.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It could be that I'm overly paranoid about another large-scale conflict like the First and Second Congo Wars popping up every time some form of ethnic division leads to militant resistance.

Apparently many African politicians like to manipulate old tribal allegiances and pay those at the bottom of society to works as thugs to perpetuate a sense of anger and discontent among the larger populace.

Plutocracy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It could be that I'm overly paranoid about another large-scale conflict like the First and Second Congo Wars popping up every time some form of ethnic division leads to militant resistance.

Apparently many African politicians like to manipulate old tribal allegiances and pay those at the bottom of society to works as thugs to perpetuate a sense of anger and discontent among the larger populace.

It's hard to say whether they like doing it. It works. People who do it sweep aside those that don't, natural selection style.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

It's hard to say whether they like doing it. It works. People who do it sweep aside those that don't, natural selection style.

Perhaps, though once you've rid yourself of your political opponents you are then awoken to the reality that your instigated anarchy has prevented any kind of economic or social development as well as being presented with a whole new can of worms.

Plutocracy on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, I guess this should prove to anyone not convinced by the IRA that terrorism and violence aren't connected to Islam, but instead to areas suffering from poverty and imperialism (past or present).

For those who haven't checked Wikipedia, Kenya is 45% Protestant, 40% Catholic, and 10% Muslim.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Err...where does Islam come into this?

And the IRA wasn't blowing stuff up because it was fighting the injustices of poverty but because it opposed being governed by a foreign power.

Plutocracy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm using this as a rebuke to all those Islamophobes that have been fermenting in recent years.
    Ireland was mostly suffering from (British) Imperialism, but British rule was also hurting their monetary statuses somewhat.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Perhaps, though once you've rid yourself of your political opponents you are then awoken to the reality that your instigated anarchy has prevented any kind of economic or social development as well as being presented with a whole new can of worms.

Empirical observation would not find this to be a very strong deterent.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Are you referring to Kenya at the moment or something more vague?

And Scalfin, yeah British rule wasn't exactly creating a flourishing Irish economy but Home Rule was the primary motivator in their actions.

Oh and while I agree Islamophobes need to be rebuked at any opportunity, I doubt you'll find many in this thread.

Plutocracy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Are you referring to Kenya at the moment or something else?

And Scalfin, yeah British rule wasn't exactly creating a flourishing Irish economy but Home Rule was the primary motivator in their actions.

Oh and while I agree Islamophobes need to be rebuked at any opportunity, I doubt you'll find many in this thread.

That's actually why I specified Imperialism.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    I'm using this as a rebuke to all those Islamophobes that have been fermenting in recent years.
    Ireland was mostly suffering from (British) Imperialism, but British rule was also hurting their monetary statuses somewhat.
    Well, you kind of jumped the shark there, champ.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Are you referring to Kenya at the moment or something more vague?

Post-imperial Africa in general.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I wonder then what sets Nigeria, a former colony that has highest the population in all of Africa as well as a history of ethnocentrism, tribalism, sectarianism and neopatrimonialism (sounds like a plutocrats dream), apart from Kenya.

If Goldman and Sachs can feel confident enough to include Nigeria in it's "Next Eleven" then clearly theirs is an example we need to look at.

Plutocracy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Nigeria's angry minority are too busy starving in the desert to make much of a fuss? Good question though.

Anyway things are still godawful over there, especially in the rural areas, but parts of this made me laugh, and now I think I might be going to hell.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well of course, for an investment bank ethical dilemmas are usually deemed trivialities.

But it's hard to argue with economist's dicta for progress.

Oh and yes, you are a terrible person but I hear the queue for hell these days is a bitch.

Plutocracy on